BC Boards

Problems sleeping at night?

My two BC pups (5 1/2 months old) have recently become very bad a sleeping at night... They used to be fine and the last week or so they just keep us up all night... We usually crate them at night and they have just been making a lot of noise in there... Last night we decided to try to not crate them and sleep downstairs with them and once we turned the lights out and TV off they just started barking at every single noise...

Any advice on how to help with this or if this might just be a fase? We can't figure it out! We've tried taking them to the dog park in the evening to tire them out and that still didn't work...

What kind of noise are they making in their crates? Are they interacting with each other? Are they barking at things that they hear, as they did downstairs? Are they crated together or are they separate?

Crate them in different rooms and ignore them. Don't put blankets in with them (most pups with just chew or play with them). If you need to, find rooms far enough away from your bedroom that you won't hear the rattling sounds. Also consider providing something safe to chew on at night and more structured training during the day to wear out their brains.

Keeping 2 pups together a lot will create a major problem. They will bond more with each other and ignore you. You need to separate them as much as possible.

At the risk of sounding a bit looney, two things: 1) the weather is turning and that makes everyone get a bit of spring fever and 2) we've just had a full moon, which always makes all of our animals a bit restless through the night. I think it's probably more to do with the added light rather than the actual phase of the moon, but whatever it is I can usually tell just by the critters' behavior when the full moon is afoot.

They like to pull the blankets back and scratch the plastic bottom piece and rattle the sides... We crate them together

They don't seem to bark in the crate like they did when we took them downstairs...

In that case, I would try separating them first off, and separate the two crates in the room at night. One on either side of the bed, or whatever works in the room.

I would either remove the blankets, or try to find some kind of padding for the bottom of the crate that they cannot scratch up.

Finally, I would provide something that they can quietly chew on or interact with if they are awake at night - a kong or something. That might lead to some noise, but it's worth a try.

Try placing an air filter or something else that makes white noise near them so they don't hear every little noise in the quiet house.

This. I used a cheapo fan on low and its been great for my dogs sleep pattern. Less restlessness from people moving around in the surrounding apts. Bonus is I can't hear her doing disgusting fur cleaning chores at 5 am like I used to.

-Rich

Thanks for all of your help, everyone! Last night we tried separate crates but where they could still see each other (so they didn't freak out too much at first) and put toy bones in with them and they just gnawed on their bones and eventually fell asleep! It seemed to work great the first night! We will have to try the fan too!

Thanks again everyone for your help! :)