BC Boards

Heads up Arkansas Dog / Cat owners

Debbie Meier

Did this actually pass?

And did I read write that if I own a dog that is registered with the AKC or UKC it is automatically exempt?! :blink:/>/> So the only dogs left in Arkansas one day will just be 'purebred' dogs. I love how the rest have to prove the dog is trained to a certain level or is used in a certain line of work. Maybe they should focus more on large scale commercial puppy breeding operations instead of private owners (even though a few minutes on CL pets section will make you think people do need to be forced to spay their pets). The registered-purebred exemption is laughable.

How would they enforce this, just drive around looking for dogs in yards or being walked and demand to see proof the dog is fixed? Do you know what caused the state to want to pass this law? It is a sad day when people can't do the responsible thing for their pets and either spay them or manage them appropriately. I would love a mandatory micro-chip law and provide low cost clinics just like s/n clinics.

Well, as far as the leaving only pure breds.... don't we advocate spay and neuter especially with mutts (and I mean that in the most respectful way!) anyway? Plus, would that not hamper a lot of "designer dog" breeding? Which could not be all bad!

For the record, bills of this type scare me!

This also seems like something funded by the AKC. Many purebred dogs are not recognized by the AKC. All the ABCA border collies in Arkansas would have to be fixed. Jack Russel's (technically) are not recognized by the AKC and I think Rat Terriers are not either along with many other breeds. Even still, if you wanted to buy a purebred dog that did not come with 'papers' then your dog needs to be fixed? It seems like a way to make people want to go out and buy more AKC dogs so they don't have to fix them. I don't see how a dog with AKC papers is any more worthy of being bred than a dog who is not (we all know unhealthy, ill tempered AKC dogs who should never be bred). It also does not mean that the owner is more likely to be responsible vs the owner of an unregistered dog which is the main problem-the owner!

By the way this is coming from someone with a neutered 'rescued' dog and completely advocates for s/n for the 'average' pet owner. I just think the logic behind the purebred-registered dog clause is just insane sounding. I think regular pet owners should all be forced to fix their pets regardless of registration with the AKC/UKC or just have no law governing s/n. And to really do something about large scale breeders just churning out litters for sale on websites to anyone with $ and shipping them all over.

They wouldn't have to be fixed, they just would not be exempt and the owner would be required to purchase a $50.00 for each one each year...I think..

I may have read it wrong but I thought it said that if they were in violation they would be fined and/or forced to sterilize. Which sounds like BSL where it gives people the right to come take your dog (like in Denver) if you do not comply even if your dog has done nothing wrong. Unlike my neighbor's dog who is allowed to continuously run off leash unattended all over my property and kill my chickens with no recourse.

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but they way I read it:

"purebred recognized by a professional registering organization", ABCA is a professional registering organization

"including AKC, etc", doesn't exclude others merely providing examples of such registry.

So, any ABCA dog should be exempt as well. But would be excellent to get the legislation modified (if one can't simply oppose it) and have added "Border Collies shall be registered with working registries and not considered purebred if registered with other registries" :)

Perhaps well intentioned law but:

- why discriminate against mutts that are healthier than many a purebred?

- purebreds are a large proportion of dogs in shelters, exempting them makes no sense

- doesn't protect against purebred puppy mills (they don't usually breed mutts) nor backyard breeders

I must say I prefer the way my city does it, registration fee for the animal but rebate if spayed/neutered and/or microchipped. Provides an incentive but without being overbearing. Now lots of people don't bother getting the city permit for the dog nor spaying/neutering but as it goes "you can't fix stupid"

The way it is worded makes it sound like only the 4 listed are included (2 being cat registries). It says registered with a professional registering organization including (the 4 listed), it does not say 'etc' or imply that other organizations are included. Please correct me if I am wrong, maybe it could be interpreted both ways? Who knows.

Otherwise, you could say your ACA registered dog is purebred or that your APBT registered Pit Bull is registered with a 'professional' organization. There is also the CKC (continental), the NKC, and so on and on (there is even a golden doodle registration club! GANA). Anyone can make up a 'registry' and say it is professional and be exempt. Thereby, making almost all dogs registered purebreds if people put a little effort into it. I think that is why, the way I read it, the law only includes the 2 dog registries written.

I guess I am just debating for the sake of debating because I find these laws rather interesting. I think it is on par with the silliness of the descriptions of what a 'pit bull' is according to some BSL.

• 2 weeks later...

IAAL, and I must say this is one of the most poorly drafted pieces of legislation I have ever read. It's almost comical -- definitely an embarrassment to the state of Arkansas. It would make a good law school exam question to point out all the legislative drafting errors, but you'd probably need to allow at least 1 1/2 hours.

That said, I'm not seeing anywhere that registries are listed by name. Could that have been in an earlier draft of the bill, and removed before enactment? If I'm wrong about this, could someone please point out what lines include the names of registries?