BC Boards

Dogs on couches

Who else started with the dogs on the floor (not allowed on furniture), but now live with their dogs lounging on the sofa &/or chairs?

My 5.5 year old male BC has decided, within the past few months, that his rightful resting place (when we are not around) should be on my husband's leather chair or on the couch. (We have 2 couches and he has chosen the one that cost more, of course) :) I had seen him on the chair a couple of times and shooed him off so DH wouldn't see him. I also would spread newspapers on the couch in an attempt to keep him off. And DH would remove the papers because it looked 'messy'.

Today, DH caught Torque sprawled in his leather chair, and then later, on the couch. I was surprised that he sort of made a joke about it (instead of insisting that I do something about keeping the dog off the furniture).

In the past year, I have mentioned a few times that we should buy the dogs their own chair &/or loveseat - and it was always poo-pooed. Now, the idea of a separate couch for the dog doesn't sound like such a bad idea to DH. :) Maybe he is on board?

Do your BCs have a sense of entitlement when it comes to lounging on the furniture? I have 5 very nice dog beds of various designs (most are Orvis beds because I can find them at less than 1/2 price locally) for 2 dogs, yet Torque wants up on the furniture.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds.

Jovi

:lol: Well, I'll be watching THIS thread, since my new leather furniture is coming in March. My dogs also have a sense of entitlement on all the furniture, but I must admit that I have fostered that behavior. While there are days that I prefer them not to be on furniture (like when they are a mess), I also like to have them snuggled up with me on the couch many a night. So I really can't blame them.

However, with the new furniture soon to come, we have been debating whether to re-train them NOT to get up on the furniture...or to just cover the new stuff in some way. I can honestly say that I am waiting to see the furniture to make a decision on the options.

As a good dog trainer, I would say "Bad Call! Start NOW to redirect them to the floor and train them not to get up on the old stuff before the new stuff comes."

As a bad pet owner, I am ignoring my own advice....which tells the dog trainer in me that when the furniture comes, I am probably gonna let them get on it!! :P

In addition, my dogs are allowed up on the bed, and do nap there occasionally, but do not sleep with us. (I thrash around too much and no dog has ever been able to sleep with me -- ever.) We have a loveseat in the bedroom, which one dog used to sleep on. When we added a second dog, he also wants to sleep on it. So....DH crafted another wooden "dog bed" (which is like a bench with a commercial dog pillow in it.) You guessed it...no one wants to sleep on it. It doesn't look like a couch or loveseat!! Hurt DH's feelings a little. Dog #3 sleeps in my son's bedroom and sleeps on the bed with him.

Mine ask to come up, but are rarely denied, if there is a person on the couch. On their own, they get on whatever furniture they like, it's allowed. They only jump on the bed if my husband is still asleep. They won't sleep with us at all. I like having a dog beside me on the couch, so I encourage it, but they tend to like to be a little further away, cooler I guess.

Chloe has never been allowed on any piece of furniture other than my bed. But then one day she decided she wanted to sleep on the couch she's NOT allowed on. Her bed is a huge 75$ memory foam bean bag chair, that I'm pretty sure is more comfortable than MY bed. :D/> (Someone got me her bed for Christmas, it was supposed to be for me but Chloe decided she wanted it) I think she thinks its a game. She sees how long she can sleep on the couch without being caught (Although the fur silhouette on the couch kinda gives her away). We got a new couch, so we gave the old couch to Chloe. But of course once she knew she was allowed on it she didnt want to sleep there anymore. She wanted to sleep on the new couch. I dont think she even thinks the couches are comfortable, I think she just thinks its a fun game.

How do you yell at this to get off the couch? ;)/>

post-14769-088809500 1361580562_thumb.jpg

Edit: Sorry, the pic is upsidedown lol, i dont know how to flip it right side up.

Raven "owns" the loveseat. My dh wasn't feeling good so he had the heating pad out. Then I see him gently lift raven up and place the heating pad under her. Now she owns the loveseat and the heating pad. She is old. She deserves it! Funny thing is, if she sees my son on her love seat she stands there starring at him till either he moves or invites her up.

I don't mind sharing with my dogs as long as they move when asked.

I don't care if my dogs get on the furniture. It's just furniture, so if they are more comfortable there than on the floor or their dog beds, it's fine with me. I just don't allow them on bed until they are dry (I hate wet dog smell on my bed) and I wish that three of them would not get up in my lap when I'm in my chair trying to watch a movie, as it's quite uncomfortable! Also, difficult to reach the popcorn when my arms are pinned under dogs.

RDM

We don't mind at all. We did put a bed sheet tightly on the one end of the sectional to help with the extra wear from the dog. Although the other day one of our cats puked on the couch. <_</> I wish I could teach them to stay off the furniture.

I have been putting off buying a new comforter, which we really do need, because I don't want to get something nice'and have the animals stain it so we just stick with the old, stained comforter and wash it somewhat often.

post-11838-071274600 1361587870_thumb.jpg

I love having a dog to cuddle with on the couch, or in bed at night. Buzz used to help himself to the couch when it was very cold. Gibbs always waits to be invited up, he's such a polite boy.

He did this wierd thing for a while. At night he sleeps wherever he wants to. He's been in the habit of hanging out on his own bed in the office, then about 3 a.m. coming in and joining me, curled up at my knee. For a few days, he decided he should wait for me to invite him. So he'd stare at me, and when that didn't wake me up, he'd wuff very softly. Thank goodness he got over that!

My critters have always been allowed on the furniture. They've also been taught to jump down when I ask. Sometimes I do need some space.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Figures I get the one oddball dog who doesn't like to get on the couch.

When I first got Caleb, I pretty much begged him to come onto the couch/bed/furniture/whatever so he could get acclimated faster and feel more at home. That worked for a few days until he started racing me to get on the furniture first, so I had to put a stop to that, establish some boundaries/rules, and have him invited onto the couch instead. Two months later, and he doesn't want to be on the couch despite being allowed on it; I'll invite him up or pick him up, and he'll lay down for a little bit before just getting up and going over to his crate or laying down on the wall (side on the floor, all four paws pushing against the wall) next to his crate instead. A lot of people tell me I'm lucky, but they're the same people who have their dogs just jumping all over furniture when they don't want them to. I say they're the lucky ones.

Well, my dogs have a couch and I make do with chairs....(old couch for the dogs)!

Mine love sleeping in bed with me and it is a huge comfort to me. Big king bed with one person allows lots of room for dogs. Although the big dog has been banned! She snores and when she gets hot at night gets to panting so much that the whole bed shakes....

We don't have a couch but we do have two arm chairs. One his hubby's. The other ... well, it has a small doggie bed on the seat, because the cats and dogs both use it. :rolleyes: Also, our Aussie sleeps on the bed every night, (she's small) and while my two younger border collies sleep in their crates with the doors open, they both get on the bed when they first hear us stir in the morning.

To think that we once had a rule of "No Dogs On The Furniture." And that was back when we only had ONE dog! :P

~ Gloria

8499002087_456c50783d_z.jpg

Unless she's super dirty (most of the time), I think she's allowed to lounge wherever she wants. She likes her bed more, so she usually lies down on her bed or mat. It's way better to watch TV with the dog, though she may eat all my food, so I sneak food out of the kitchen. Just need to invest in some kind of fur vacuum or cover. I almost wonder if leather would be better for cleaning sake. Not like I smell better (or leave less fur) hehe.

-Rich

We started with all sorts of rules... First one down.. No dogs in the bedroom, then no dogs on the bed, although when we are in it, it is still by invitation, the rest of the time it's the most popular place in the house. Our duvet though is used European style and washed with the sheets, and we have a washable light weight cover that also goes in the laundry at the same time.

Then we have the couch which we have had various debates with the dogs about, we never see them up there, but the evidence is there, and now we only have one dog I think that rule is on the way out if last night was anything to go by, can't post the evidence from my iPad but my boys looked very content. At least the Dyson is good at removing hair...

I don't care if my dogs get on the furniture. It's just furniture, so if they are more comfortable there than on the floor or their dog beds, it's fine with me.

Me too. It means I don't have to have dog beds cluttering up the house, just a couple of crates.

I wish my oldie would lie on the couches but he has always preferred a cold hard floor. His choice though, the couch is available.

I choose my battles and I really can't be bothered worrying about what they are up to when my back is turned.

The only rule is that they get off when asked.

When I bought and moved into my new house, the ex-husband thought he was going to institute furniture laws(he wasn't even a husband at that time). No dogs on furniture or on the bed. I only had one dog at the time, and anyone who knows Ginger, well, you can imagine how well that worked. I personally didn't care, and it was my house, but I let him try. Hah.

We did have a no dogs when humans are on the bed rule, and that usually worked until about 3am when Ginger and Bree would sneak up. Now they're welcome wherever they want to be, though when we're watching TV they all most often choose the dog beds on the floor.

Me too. It means I don't have to have dog beds cluttering up the house, just a couple of crates.

Ahh, but we've always had a dog that prefers their own space, and Gibbs doesn't care for a crate. When the weather warms up, Gibbs will decline, ever so politely, the invitations to hop up on the couch. He looooooves his dog beds. Yes, he has more than one.

Shoshone, odd little thing that she was, liked her dog beds and her crate. She hated, hated, hated being on the couch. She would tolerate it for a minute or less, then slither over the edge and slink off to a bed or crate, lie down, then glare at us for disrupting her routine.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Oh, yeah. Started out with a No Dogs On Any Furniture rule.

Then, several years ago my house burned and I was homeless and slept on the floor of a friend's house for several weeks. Well, I was on the floor and so were the dogs, and so of course they slept with me. I decided I liked it and after we got a bed again and a place to live, they shared the bed with me and we were all happy.

But no dog on couch or chair in living room.

That lasted until 8 months ago a lap dog came to live with us.

Well, what use having a lap dog if the lap dog cannot get into your lap?

The border collies were completely baffled as to why small dog could get on furniture and they could not.

There went that rule.

Now I cover the couch and chair with nice solid color, color-coordinated sheets that get washed once a week. If company comes, I just pull off the sheets and the furniture looks fine. ;) The dogs are happy, I am happy, and at night in the winter I never get cold because they are all on the bed keeping me warm.

:)

I have been putting off buying a new comforter, which we really do need, because I don't want to get something nice'and have the animals stain it so we just stick with the old, stained comforter and wash it somewhat often.

I allow dogs on furniture, and I am a bit of a clean freak so I am always seeking washable but nice things. My dogs are allowed on the bed except at bedtime (I am a light sleeper and tall husband + me + dogs = me not sleeping well) but they nap with me when I am in it alone and sometimes rest on it when they are in that part of the house with me. It gets hair and dirty pawprints on it regularly. Plus the top edge gets grubby just from normal use.

I replaced my comforter that always came out of the wash lumpy and worse for wear with a down alternative blanket. Its thinner, but its actually warmer! And because its stitched in 6" squares it stays nice and flat when washed. It also fits in my dryer better and comes out drier than the bulky comforter did. I have had it for a few years now (3 or 4?) and its still looks great.