BC Boards

Getting puppy, look like a reliable breeder?

Although I'm not the original poster, I think that my reply did spark a big debate. After reading thru all the posts, I do think I have a better understanding of why the breeder that I got my puppy from is considered bad. I did feel very defensive when I found this thread because like I have said before, I had a great experience with her and I adore my Boy Scout. I believe that the reason she is considered a "bad breeder" is because her dogs aren't believed to have come from working stock. I do understand( now) why that would be considered a bad thing. Do I have a border collie"lite"? I honestly don't know and personally don't care. BUT I get now why that is a bad thing in the overall picture for the breed. Because eventually all the things that I adore about my boy could be bred out of existence. And that would be a terrible thing for sure. I did do research and was in contact with a rescue and they really did steer me towards a non-working stock puppy. I think because they have to find homes for so many dogs that their owners can't handle. And in all my "googling" of border collies for families, I never found any articles giving the opinion that puppies should only be purchased from breeders with working stock puppies. Again, I can't pretend to be sorry that I got him, but I am sorry that I didn't find any articles with all this information. I believe my next dog will be a rescue but if that changes I will be back looking for recommendations on breeders.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I can't pretend to be sorry that I got him, but I am sorry that I didn't find any articles with all this information. I believe my next dog will be a rescue but if that changes I will be back looking for recommendations on breeders.

I tell people Quinn is the absolute right dog for me but from the the absolute wrong breeder. I regret the money I gave her but not the dog I have. He is the most fun of any dog I have owned and a consistent source of sunshine in my life. That said, when the time comes for another dog, my plan is to go through a rescue if they will have me.

I tell people Quinn is the absolute right dog for me but from the the absolute wrong breeder. I regret the money I gave her but not the dog I have. He is the most fun of any dog I have owned and a consistent source of sunshine in my life. That said, when the time comes for another dog, my plan is to go through a rescue if they will have me.

Well said. I have to agree this is my case too. But my next dog will hopefully come from a breeder of working BCs.

Jovi

I second that this is very well-stated, and right on.