BC Boards

NO petting during agility

I posted once before about my dog's lack of a startline stay in agility and the book "Control Unleashed" was highly recommended, which I thank people here for because though the "stay" is still slow to come along consistently (it actually is very good in practice, where there are also other dogs and handlers, but less so in class where it is more structured), Layla's behavior outside the agility ring has vastly improved since I began working through that book, and my tension (which rubs off on her) has improved also. The work continues, since once we start running she really does pay attention well.

I have a question about a quirk my dog has though. She will NOT allow me to pet her during agility class when we are waiting our turn or when we go to practice agility. She is normally a very affectionate dog at home, lounging on the couch with us rolling over on her back for belly rubs or gladly standing still to get a nice body scratch, and she likes to come to bed with us and literally suction herself to either me or my husband (whoever got to bed first, usually). Just a sweet dog, but when she starts her "work" she gets so excited she makes her "rough-housing" sounds if I try to pet her and pulls away, not at all aggressive, just not tolerating any pets. She isn't a full BC, but is at LEAST half by her appearance and the way she approaches things; is this a BC trait? Or is our girl just a quirky dog? (Which is quite possible, LOL). I just somewhat envy the other folks who sit and pet their dogs in class, even the one other BC in class is cool with that. There's a running joke with me and the Golden Retriever owner in class that she just doesn't believe Layla is completely chilled at home, no matter how many pics I post on FB.

post-13746-044874100 1360953475_thumb.jpg

She will NOT allow me to pet her during agility class when we are waiting our turn or when we go to practice agility. She is normally a very affectionate dog at home, lounging on the couch with us rolling over on her back for belly rubs or gladly standing still to get a nice body scratch, and she likes to come to bed with us and literally suction herself to either me or my husband (whoever got to bed first, usually). Just a sweet dog, but when she starts her "work" she gets so excited she makes her "rough-housing" sounds if I try to pet her and pulls away, not at all aggressive, just not tolerating any pets.

Neither of my Border Collie boys want to be petted when they are in work/training mode. Any other time, they can snuggle with the best of them. They love all kinds of love at other times.

But not when we are doing something active.

I don't believe that is unusual.

Yeah, just sounds like your dog has his "working head" on and the petting just adds stress. My bc is not particularly fond of petting/snuggling for more than brief periods. But, at an agility trial, he's even less interested.

And, can I just say that your dog could be the twin of my beautiful boy, Milo. My heart skipped a beat when I enlarged your thumbnail.

IMG_2762.jpg

I've been using the "wait" time to work on teaching new tricks (like sit-up) with my girl -- who also is too "into" the class that she doesn't really want petting. This keeps both her and me occupied, and it's something I don't usually do at home. :)/>

I did that last week and I felt like it really improved her behavior in class overall! She wasn't as impatient for her turn. I am going to keep doing this.

Yeah, just sounds like your dog has his "working head" on and the petting just adds stress. My bc is not particularly fond of petting/snuggling for more than brief periods. But, at an agility trial, he's even less interested.

And, can I just say that your dog could be the twin of my beautiful boy, Milo. My heart skipped a beat when I enlarged your thumbnail.

IMG_2762.jpg

Oh my! He and Layla do look alike! Is he a mix or full BC? Such a beautiful dog!

Is it just me, but the dog on the bed looks like a full BC with beautiful flecking. Why do you think she is a mix?

You are not the first person to ask that. Someone with a full BC asked me at agility run throughs where I bought her one time.

The reason I've considered her a mix is simply that it is how the animal shelter labeled her litter when they were put up for adoption. Layla was the last pup adopted but I saw pictures of her 6 brothers and they ranged from solid black to nearly identical to Layla, while I was told her one sister was a tri-color. I guess I figured they wouldn't have been dumped at the shelter at 5 weeks old if they were pure-bred BC.

Oh my! He and Layla do look alike! Is he a mix or full BC? Such a beautiful dog!

I adopted Milo from an animal shelter in TN, so there's no way of knowing. But, based on his behavior, I think he was likely a bc mix. He exhibited a lot of bc-like traits, but was not quite as intense and "all business" like my pb border collie. As he got older, he became more and more furry. I'm not sure why. (Perhaps because I am terrible about grooming my dogs). Here are a couple of pictures of him when he was about 2 years old and not so furry. I think he looked even more like your girl when he was younger. The one thing that I can say is that if I were to live 1,000 years, I could never find a dog as perfect and special as Milo. Enjoy every minute with your special, speckled girl.

Milosittingbeach2_zps23bfa035.jpg

DCP_0272_zps34386d37.jpg

Huh, Rex loves being petted during agility. In fact, his favourite reward isn't food or a toy - it's a hug. I guess he doesn't take it very seriously, an attitude he probably picked up from his handler. smile.gif Now herding, that's serious business. You can pet him but he won't notice.

Mary, Milo was gorgeous. I love a spotty dog.wub.gif

I adopted Milo from an animal shelter in TN, so there's no way of knowing. But, based on his behavior, I think he was likely a bc mix. He exhibited a lot of bc-like traits, but was not quite as intense and "all business" like my pb border collie. As he got older, he became more and more furry. I'm not sure why. (Perhaps because I am terrible about grooming my dogs). Here are a couple of pictures of him when he was about 2 years old and not so furry. I think he looked even more like your girl when he was younger. The one thing that I can say is that if I were to live 1,000 years, I could never find a dog as perfect and special as Milo. Enjoy every minute with your special, speckled girl.

Milosittingbeach2_zps23bfa035.jpg

DCP_0272_zps34386d37.jpg

Layla is 2 1/2 currently. Your Milo was amazing looking! We do enjoy Layla, we are so grateful to have her. She's the most unbelievably well-behaved dog inside, and very loving (when we aren't doing agility, LOL). Here's another pic of her sitting. post-13746-090358000 1361374848_thumb.gif