BC Boards

interesting article on dog behavior

Tommy Coyote

I found this especially interesting because Zeke is just awful about stealing certain things - and always when I'm either not looking or gone. He nevers shows any interest when I'm there.

He waits until I leave and then he starts looking for stuff to get into. If I turn around and go back into the house about 3 seconds after I first left I will find him either looking for stuff to get into or actually tearing into things. He likes to tear up plastic bags. And trash - I have to make sure all of the trash is out of the house when I leave. He will find a way to get it. He will jump up on the table and then get up on the counter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21411249

Years ago I had a Golden who was an accomplished thief. She never touched anything when I was home (even in bed) but 5 seconds after I left the house it was fair game. I decided to "set her up" and try to catch her in the act so she would think twice about it. I took the keys and left the house and snuck around the back and peeked in the kitchen window. She remained resting on the dog bed in the living room.

Next try I had my husband start the car and drive away. Still no bites.

Third try I had him slam his door twice (as if 2 people had got in the car). At the second door she perked up and went to the window to watch, and when the car went around the corner off she went to scope out the kitchen.

Smart little witch. She knew if we both left and she didn't hear 2 car doors slam someone was still home somewhere.

Years ago I had a Golden who was an accomplished thief. She never touched anything when I was home (even in bed) but 5 seconds after I left the house it was fair game. I decided to "set her up" and try to catch her in the act so she would think twice about it. I took the keys and left the house and snuck around the back and peeked in the kitchen window. She remained resting on the dog bed in the living room.

Next try I had my husband start the car and drive away. Still no bites.

Third try I had him slam his door twice (as if 2 people had got in the car). At the second door she perked up and went to the window to watch, and when the car went around the corner off she went to scope out the kitchen.

Smart little witch. She knew if we both left and she didn't hear 2 car doors slam someone was still home somewhere.

Oh, that's funny.

I always find it amazing that scientists have to do studies on facts that so many people just accept based on life experiences.

Well, yes, but in their defence it often turns out on closer examination that what most people have accepted as common sense for ages isn't true.