BC Boards

Sheep Bridge

TEC

Click the following link to see a photo of sheep and LGD crossing single-file a narrow bouncing cable bridge suspended over a river gorge. Sheep Bridge. That move must have relied on good dogs, trusting animals, and perhaps a few sheep who had done it previously. If anyone knows more about the crossing or similar ones, please advise.

Here is an album containing more LLL sheep and dog photos. Click here

All pictures are part of Lava Lake Lamb (LLL) collection. LLL is an enormous gathering of land in central Idaho, generally between Twin Falls and Ketchum. They produce 100% grass fed lamb. I have no connection to the company, but thought you might enjoy the photos and others you can view by clicking "older" and "newer" in upper right hand corner. -- TEC

ETA -- Photo of narrow column of sheep crossing a hardened lava flow. Sheep traversing cooled lava. Geologists believe American Indians may have witnessed the eruption.

The critter 9th from the right is a dog. Looks like maybe an Akbash to me. Anybody else have an idea what it might be?

I'm not sure. White LGDs from a distance look the same to me. Great Pyr, Maremma, Akbash...? Any ideas? -- TEC

ETA -- This photo appears to be example of herders, for ease of movement, separating the band into thirds. Moving large flock. The front group is sometimes called the pilot or lead. Pilot bunch can be readily turned, and others will trail. Dividing the band, as in picture, allows more sheep to be aware of dogs' pressure.