BC Boards

Traumatized kid

jvw

My brother has three day old kids. One somehow got out and his 9 mo old LGD in training got ahold of her and tossed her about. No teeth marks. But now she won't nurse. He can't find a vet that will deal with goats. Anyone have any advice to help the kid?

TIA

Jennifer

I'd provide supportive care -- keep the kid extra warm, its surroundings as quiet as possible, encourage nursing periodically -- and hope for the best. If its been more than a few hours he may also want to consider tubing it to get some nutrition in.

It's possible the kid is in shock and that will pass with a little time, unfortunately however, a lack of external wounds does not mean there has not been internal damage. The thing there is that unless this is a very special goat kid the cost of diagnostics, treatment, etc for internal injuries can far out pace the value of the actual animal and even then, depending on the injuries, there's a good chance it will still pass.

I'd also be giving it a squirt of nurti-drench or something like that every so often, it seems to kick start those that have gotten behind in nursing or warmth.

I'd be thinking a bit of shock or internal damage. Squished without teethmarks or teethmarks that didn't break the skin