BC Boards

Did I get lucky or are you people crazy? :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another troll bites the dust. Shame his poor collie will continue to get bitten by beer cans.

You can only be helpful to those who genuinly want help.

To paraphrase, "Because I know dogs, I know BCs."

I would respectfully disagree with that belief. If we leave the world of BCs for a moment, I ask you if you would train a little, yappy dog (chihuahua, maltese, etc.) the same way as a Schutzhound? Should a whippet be trained the same way as a bloodhound? After all, they are all dogs.

All dogs (or living creatures for that matter) basically learn the same way which should underscore any training but whatever the breed I would tailor the approach to the individual dog rather than be blinded by the breed it may be. I wouldn't necessarily train one BC exactly the same as another.

But whatever the dog, I do not want it to do as I want it to do out of fear of punishment so yes, in that respect I would train them all the same fundamental way, but details will vary from dog to dog and I will have regard to common breed traits that may or may not be significant in the dog I am dealing with at the time.

Knowing dogs is a good start, but knowing them means understanding what they are trying to communicate, not assuming that because a person has had dogs for x number of years that such understanding is automatic. It's a common fallacy.

I could be wrong from what little evidence of what the OP posted remains, but I'm not getting the impression that he is seeing the world through his dog's eyes.