BC Boards

Stormy Learned A New Word

I've been trying to teach Stormy the words attached to the toys, i.e., ball, duck, rope, etc. I was not convinced that this was going anywhere, but I kept trying. Lasyt night, I asked her where her ball was and she took an uncertain step towards her ball that was right there in plain sight and then looked towards me--I gave her lots of praise. Then, when I asked her again, she went and retrieved it and brought it to me. TONS of praise, affection and a quick game of fetch. It gives me hope since housebreaking is going so slowly (she is making a little improvement, but it is so frustrating). I don't think she has the word 100% yet, but it's a start! I don't think I've been this pleased with someone else's success at learning since one of the student I tutored in writing got his first "A".

Stormy is 6 months old.

I have inadvertently taught her to ask to go out AFTER she potties on the floor. I should have anticipated that; I"m not an expert but I know enough about modifying behavior that this was going to be, for her, a logical reaction. She is making some improvement, mostly because I am taking her out about every 20 minutes (which is not conducive to me getting anything done around the house, but once she know that she is to potty outside and how to ask to go outside, that will get better). Still, there are times when I get distracted and end up cleaning up a mess. I do not punish her in any way, no rubbing her face in it, no scolding (unless I catch her squatting; a sharp no stops her and then we rush outside where she finishes after about 5 minutes of sniffing around).