BC Boards

San Antonio?

Jexa

I'll be living in San Antonio (Selma, to be exact) for about four months early this next year. After talking to my husband, who will be very busy and staying behind in MIssissippi, and who also just isn't as successful at training the dogs as I am, I'm planning on taking at least Max with me.

Though I hate to be apart from my husband again (we've been married for 19 months and during that time have only been able to live together about 9 months), I've loved San Antonio everytime I've visited and should have a pretty relaxed schedule for once. So on that note, what can y'all tell me about dogs in San Antonio? Good stores, parks, fun things to do with dogs in the area, trainers, etc. Northeast MS has been pretty barren as far as dog trainers/activities, so I'm looking forward to being in a big city. I'd especially like to get Max involved in some basic agility or dock diving type training, or even basic stock training, just something to get that dog working! Rudder is content with a trip to the barn or some fetch and then curling up for a nap on the couch, and thinks 5 minutes of "hey let's learn something new with treats!" is an awful lot of work. Max on the other hand will do all of the above and then leap over the back of the big tall couch from a stand still, clearing a napping Rudder and landing on the floor on the other side (Note: this is NOT something we encourage!). Even as a baby Max never got tired of playing or learning, he always wants more. "Max Afterburner" has been a pretty appropriate name :D

Thanks in advance for any advice on the area!

Contact Catherine Laria at http://www.k9countryclub.net/ You are probably 30 min. from her place. She has a kennel and boarding facility, as well as a training center. She is big in agility (has done very well!) , does dock diving etc...she's also been quite successful in USBCHA sheepdog trials. Super nice gal.

Betty

Selma is a pretty nice area. I used to work over there. The cops there are stealthy and ticket-happy so drive carefully. I'm sorry you're stuck by San Antonio tho. Great place to visit (srsly awesome vacation destination), terrible place to live (srsly dirty nasty city). I unfortunately didn't have a dog when I was there, so I have no advice for ya.