BC Boards

Puppy Flyball Training

I was wondering if anyone had some good flyball training tips for puppies? I know you can't do any real training until they are older, but what are some things you can to to help their give them a good start? This is for my BC pup that I am getting Saturday, she is six weeks old. I know playing a lot of tug and trading games are good... is their anything else?

Thanks!

Ashley

Six weeks old is too young to come home. She really needs to stay with her litter until she is 8 weeks old. Best to leave her until after the holidays.

I would just work on bonding, socialization and a fast recall. Most Border Collies don't have any trouble with toy drive.

When she is a little older (6 weeks is pretty young) you can do:

1. Recalls on the flat to a tug or food

2. Work on having the pup target (with feet to hand, lid, then wall)

3. Working a lot on name recognition

4. 2 treat game, 2 toy game then 2 toys that aren't alike (this will help them not to become obsessed by one toy) - I should have done this game with my puppy and didn't.

That is just a couple things you can start with

Rocket Relay has an online training site with video clips of different training things. You can view it as a timeline and see options for puppies too. It's at www.rocketrelaytraining.com

Spring Loaded has a good series of videos with lots of training tips for puppies as well. It's available at www.flyballtrainingvideos.com

Good luck with your puppy!

Six weeks old is too young to come home. She really needs to stay with her litter until she is 8 weeks old.

I agree with this as a general rule.

There can be exceptions where earlier may be better for the pup such as

the breeder doesn't know what they are doing

the dam has lost interest in the litter

the dam and/or litter mates are of poor temperament and the pup is learning the wrong things

but of course red flags should be waving.

There is critical socialization and development that takes place between 5 and 8 weeks of age. Breeders who understand this are reluctant to let pups go prior to that age.

It is a red flag because a lot of breeders want the pups in their new homes ASAP to reduce the cost and effort of raising the litter.

I still don't see how this is a "red flag". All of the pups we have ever got from anyone have always come home at 6 weeks. Also, other people I know, they got their dog at 6 weeks.

How many breeders have you purchased pups from? The other people - are they buying from the same pool of breeders?

Most of us (me included) will have limited experience when purchasing, adopting, training, etc. dogs just because we can only have one or two or a few dogs at a time. Thus, one's outlook is limited and narrow. A person's doggie community will be expanded beyond the individual experience, but will also be somewhat limited - so one's general beliefs will probably stay static.

Basically, what I am trying to get at is - when one participates in a forum such as this, one can gain a huge amount of advice and education IF you are open to listening. Don't cut yourself off by saying "Well, this is the way I have always done it."

Have you educated yourself on canine socialization periods? Again, open yourself to learning - for the benefit of your pup.

Just sayin' ------

Jovi

• 3 weeks later...

How many breeders have you purchased pups from? The other people - are they buying from the same pool of breeders?

Most of us (me included) will have limited experience when purchasing, adopting, training, etc. dogs just because we can only have one or two or a few dogs at a time. Thus, one's outlook is limited and narrow. A person's doggie community will be expanded beyond the individual experience, but will also be somewhat limited - so one's general beliefs will probably stay static.

Basically, what I am trying to get at is - when one participates in a forum such as this, one can gain a huge amount of advice and education IF you are open to listening. Don't cut yourself off by saying "Well, this is the way I have always done it."

Have you educated yourself on canine socialization periods? Again, open yourself to learning - for the benefit of your pup.

Just sayin' ------

Jovi

We have got pups from about 5 different breeders. Also, some of our friends who have Dachshunds have purchased pups from 3 breeders and they are released them at 6 weeks. I guy I know through flyball has a dog who was released at 5 weeks. And one of our labs was released at 5 1/2 weeks.

Trust me, I am very open to learning all I can and listening to EVERYTHING that EVERYONE has to say. I am not trying to argue or try and tell someone what is right, I am open to hearing what everyone has to say and learning all I can! :-)

I have been trying to read up on their socialization periods. I have just never given it much thought.

Thank you for your help and taking time to reply!

Ashley

Prior to 1985 most pups I knew came home at 6 weeks old. Since then, understanding of what learning happens with the litter has improved and I have not met a savvy person who took a pup less than 8 weeks old. Dogs left with mom and litter until then have better dog skills and bite inhibition, and are belived to be generally resiliant.

I too would be wary of any breeder willing to sell a 6 week old puppies, extenuating circumstances (such as a sick dam) aside.

Prior to 1985 most pups I knew came home at 6 weeks old.

Here in the UK my mother bred poodles and Groenendaels for 20 years between the 50s and 70s and almost never let a pup go before 8 weeks. Occasionally she would make an exception at 7 weeks but never 6.

Even our childhood farm collie was at least 7 weeks when we got her.

She was involved in conformation showing and competitive obedience at the time so I'm guessing what she did was likely to be the norm in her circles.

In Wisconsin it's illegal to sell A dog before (either) Seven or Eight weeks. I forgot the the specific age, I'll need to check.I don't recommend letting puppy leave its litter mates before eight weeks of age,& for most breeders it raises red flag when they allow there puppies to go before eight weeks.As said above the only expectation is if

•the breeder doesn't know what they are doing

•the dam has lost interest in the litter

•the dam and/or litter mates are of poor temperament and the pup is learning the wrong things"

Quote from mum24dogs

I agree 100% with that statement, I couldn't of said it better my self.

I know of breeders/handlers who do agree with letting a Puppy out a six weeks.