BC Boards

Afraid to be Beautiful

Donald McCaig

Wonderful post, much appreciated. I too am working with a challenging dog all though it is I who have created the 'baggage'. Two trainers recommended giving up on her but they unfortunately never witnessed those few seconds of beauty as did I. I knew her future was bleak for sheep work and would be even shorter if given to someone else. Finally was able to get to a Scott Glen clinic and he set on the correct path. It may be a long time if ever that we get to trial together but I think now she likes being "beautiful" and has much to share with me. A friend of mine bought one of Fly's pups on my recommendation from Beverly prior to my being aware that Fly "was afraid to be beautiful". I have not heard how the pup turned out, hopefully it has some of Fly's ability.

Thanks again for sharing the Fly journey. It is an inspiration to us all and makes me want to keep trying.

Dear Sheepdoggers,

Ms Tec writes: "He is getting as much from the dog as he gives -- likely more."

Yes. I know more about sheepdogs than I did. Thanks, Fly.

Donald

"Ms Tec writes..."? (underline mine)

Seriously? :mellow:

There's an edit button, McCaig. -- Thanks, TEC

• 4 months later...

I love reading your insights on dogs, working them on sheep, trialing, and on people and their dogs. Maybe it makes me feel a little more human about learning to work with sheepdogs and understand them. But, I understand about that sublime moment. Working with my first border collie, and trying and trying to control him while he went into orbit around the sheep, or locked onto them with his super-power eye, I remember the first time I asked him to come off the sheep. Patting my leg, and calling him, "Pete! That'll do! Here!" and he did it! I could've been knocked over with a feather. Of course, I told him he is the greatest dog in the whole darn world! He never ceases to amaze me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is trialing absolutely necessary?

No, of course not. Anymore than conformation showing is necessary for any AKC purebred dog, or obedience trials, or agility trials. Trials are just an activity devised by humans involved with dogs. We enjoy competition, we enjoy meeting with others who are also involved with dogs and the same activity that we are. But it is not necessary. If you just want to train a dog to work sheep on the farm, that is fine. If you just want your dog to be a pet, that is fine.

• 1 month later...

The Story of Zac.

Zac was found running wild with substantial amount of burn marks around his neck. The pound contacted a service group and told them they were going to put him to sleep in one hour and if they wanted him to come down immediately. They tried to get him to pick up a phone and other service related act but to no avail. When Zac came here he had uncontrollable diarrhea and very serious personal problems.

I trialed many years ago and knew Ralph Pulfer. Yes the one thing he was good at, was winning. Yes he always kept the dogs that would win, others he moved on.

Back to the my story, Zac. His handler brought Zac to my place to determine his ability to work with sheep.He was frightened of the sheep and ran back to his handler. I asked if i could have him for a week to see if i could do something with him. After some negotiations they consented.

It took months for him to rid himself of diarrhea. Today, he is in my opinion a top notch herder. No, he and I will never trial because he has nothing to prove.

Thanks for listening to Zac's and my incredible journey with him.

bill

Bill, that is quite a story, and what a generous thing on your part to take Zac in, and work through his health and other issues. You helped him overcome his initial fear of sheep, and become what he was meant to be. Can you post a digital picture? Like Zac, I suspect you don't have anything to prove either, but the fruits of your patience and hard work are no doubt sufficient reward. Kudos. -- Best wishes, TEC

Thank you for those kind words TEC

I have two other BC

Angus, my cheerleader, not interested in sheep, is a rescue dog that has a rare disease, diabetes insipitus. His pituitary gland tells him to consume large quantities of water and his kidney then must expel the water. Unfortunately, this condition does not allow him to stay indoors over night.

Rocky, my number two worker, came from Texas with heart worm and almost died. His body was covered with massive amount of ticks.

Many happy moments in my life have been spent in the company of a dog. If you listen they will teach you patience, logic and love.

bill

ps will try and post pictures.

post-8684-1250777933_thumb.jpg

Here are my two rescues

Cap and Gunny, who have never trialed, but both worked hard for a living. Cap a great lambing dog. And Gunny the Red Marine!

They gave themselves to our work and gave me a gift that I warm myself on. Their badges shine in their eyes and are wrapped in and around their hearts and their iron hard little paws. Heaven knows where they came from and what happened before, but they know their home now! They are semi retired, but still when we have a situation that requires both grace and strenght, sometimes Pete and I will call out of retirement Cap and Gunny!

Here are my two rescues

Cap and Gunny, who have never trialed, but both worked hard for a living. Cap a great lambing dog. And Gunny the Red Marine!

They gave themselves to our work and gave me a gift that I warm myself on. Their badges shine in their eyes and are wrapped in and around their hearts and their iron hard little paws. Heaven knows where they came from and what happened before, but they know their home now! They are semi retired, but still when we have a situation that requires both grace and strenght, sometimes Pete and I will call out of retirement Cap and Gunny!

Absolutely love this!

• 1 month later...