BC Boards

Finding a local herding instructor..

Hi guys! I haven't been on here in quite a long time, I got busy with school, foster dogs, health issues, moving, and just life in general!

I moved from Sacramento to Redding, CA a couple of months ago and have not had any luck finding a herding instructor up here. We were previously working with Rusty Jeffers, and on occasion Nola Jones, from Performance Dogs in Action in Pleasant Grove, CA. Nelly does not like to work unless I am out there shadowing the instructor, however she would (a bit reluctantly) work for Rusty while I was at the fence. She just seemed to like him better.

She's not a trial dog and probably never will be, we just love to work sheep for fun! And she goes crazy when she knows we're going herding. She would recognize when we were getting close to the old place and would start to literally howl with excitement once we were 5-10 minutes away.

I'm willing to drive a little ways, I would travel 45 minutes to get to the last place. So, I'm wondering if any of you on here know of any herding instructors in or near Redding, CA? Or know how I may find someone..

My girl... :)

8225496724_42efa9b7f0_c.jpg

No help on herding instructors, sorry. But I did want to say I love her look, it's so border collie. You can see her sense of humor.

I might be more inclined to call it 'mischief'! Don't let that I'm-so-innocent look fool you! lol! She doesn't have much in the way of humor, it took me 2 years to teach her to play with toys! And she will still only play if the foster dog isn't around. If I pick up a toy while there's another dog around, she runs out behind them and starts to herd.

Try contacting Geri Byrne (www.bcollies.com) near Tulelake CA. She holds some clinics with top trainers and probably knows everyone in northern CA/southern OR who is worth knowing in terms of training and handling dogs. She's also a Director for USBCHA, has been the chairman of several National Sheepdog Finals, and can probably steer you in the right direction.

Depending on how far you are willing and able to drive, she might be able to either help you herself or let you know when she is holding clinics.

Good luck with that sharp-looking dog!