BC Boards

OT - Need info on Alaska

My teenage son will be in Anchorage for 10 days in July working with Worldchangers, a mission group for teens. In the past, they have worked outdoors and made repairs to low-income families' or senior citizens' homes. With regards to the weather, does he need rain gear, such as pants, jacket, and a waterproof work shoe? When it warms up during the day, is a T-shirt enough or is a sweatshirt still needed?

Any advice you could pass along to help us plan would really be appreciated! We're roasting in North Carolina by July and it's hard to think in terms of dressing for a cooler climate.

I've actually been to Alaska twice, but I was a teenager too and I'm finding it much harder to be the mom and plan for all the possible weather scenarios.

Rain gear is a good idea - the weather is unpredictable here, but ANC is maritime so rain is not uncommon (rained last night, actually). Don't know that he'd necessarily need rain pants/shoes unless he's hiking in the woods or something, but a jacket or poncho would be good; I have a goretex jacket that is sort of multi-purpose/three season which I use a lot. July isn't usually the rainiest month, but it can rain any time.

It's SUPPOSED to be a hot summer this year, but so far I've not seen much evidence of that - it's actually been cooler than the last 3 or 4 years and we approached the frost point a dew nights ago. Last week we were pretty much mid-60's in the daytime, low 30's at night (slightly below average), but we're forecast for mid to upper 60's and low to mid 40's the week upcoming so maybe that's the warming trend leading into our supposed-to-be-hot summer. Mosquitos are definitely out, but not as thick as they'll be in a month (so have him bring bug dope). If he has trouble sleeping when it's light out, have him bring a sleep mask - I'm at the "wake up at 4 a.m." stage now because I'm a "wake at daylight" kinda girl. June and July are light pretty well all the time. It CAN snow any month of the year, but that far south it would be unlikely (although last week it snowed in Kotzebue, and went down to 32 where I am). If the forecasters are right about it being a hot summer, July may be "hot" by our standards, but that's still not as hot as you have to deal with. Whether or not he needs a sweatshirt will depend on how physical the labor is and how cold-tolerant he is - I'd think not during the day, but maybe at night, so I'd suggest a sweatshirt or fleece of some type in case it gets chilly at night - layering is a great idea. However, you can generally buy fleece jackets or pullovers practically anywhere, so if he comes without one it'd be easy to nab one if he needed it - even grocery stores usually have them. For me July is T-shirt weather. Dave is in shorts most of July and August.

You can go to KTUU.com (local news station) for weather reports, I think, and there's bound to be other weather reporting website(s) that you can go to right before he leaves to see what's forecast.

As a general thing mosquitos are worst from mid-June to mid-August. Not that they don't hang around longer than that, but that's the worst time. Little bloodsuckers.

If you have specific questions let me know. How fun for your son - a bit of a departure from NC, certainly. He might want to bring a camera... I don't know how interested he is in that or how much time he'll have to be running around looking at things, but the first time I came up here it really pumped me that I could take pictures of ducks and moose and flowers at 10:30 at night without a flash.... BTW, do remind him that moose can be dangerous so if he runs across one of the Anchorage moose to keep a respectful distance, no matter how tempting it is to get close. They can go from placid to murderous in a flash. Usually if you cut them a berth they ignore you, unless there are calves at side. There are also bears in Anchorage and ditto on that (I've seen moose in ANC but never personally crossed trails with bears.)

Thanks so much, Doc. I probably lost my head about the rain gear; I don't like wet feet or clothes but to a 16-year old boy that would just scream "LOSER!" He is very excited about his trip; they were in Chicago last summer and he enjoyed that also. It's hard physical labor but he is looking forward to working his muscles and not his brain. He is an honor student and just completed his Boy Scout Eagle project so this is going to be a nice switch from school and other obligations.

I know how he feels. That's what I loved about grooming racehorses - VERY physical, and just a little dangerous, so a nice break from the books. And being around all those beautiful horses didn't suck, either! Nor did being paid reasonable money to be in fabulous shape. I was strong as a tiny ox. And unfortunately not much smaller in the shoulder. :D (NOT a feminine look!)

(The sleep mask idea may make him go "LOSER!" too, but the first time I was up here I literally slept less than 3 hours a night for the first 5 days. I felt fabulous and energetic - daylight all the time - but about day 6 I became narcoleptic, and fell asleep anywhere I sat still for more than 10 minutes. I even fell asleep standing up for a few seconds, til my knees started to buckle.) :D:rolleyes:

No, the sleep mask idea is an exellent suggestion. In fact, I just emailed his youth minister about it as well as the warning about moose. My son requires a lot of sleep and always went to bed early during the school year because classes started at 7:30 and he had to catch the bus at 6:40.

My boys are never opposed to physical labor because they want big muscles. Living in a house full of males is sometimes like a Mr. Universe contest with everyone flexing their muscles! Even DH will flex, but sadly, 21 years of neglect doesn't make for a very inspiring muscular display.

Yes, well, I'm sure he has many other charms! And my mighty mucking-out muscles aren't what they used to be either, since now I make my living with my brain, not my back. Oh, well! I miss being that strong sometimes (VERY handy, especially if your BF is acting up and needs discipline! :rolleyes: ), but I'm not sure it's a bad thing that I don't still have the Popeye forearms (minus tattoo) or the big slopey linebacker shoulders.... :D

Yes, DH makes his living with his brain too; he's a mechanical engineer. When my boys were little, they were huge train fans, especially Thomas the Tank Engine. I'll never forget when someone asked them what their daddy did for a living and my oldest said, "He's an engineer" to which the youngest sadly added, "But he doesn't even know how to drive a train." Fortunately, ol' Dad can still hold his own against calculus, geometry, and physics so they have forgiven him his earlier shortcomings.

Thanks again for the practical AK suggestions; I really appreciate them.

Aguh! What I would GIVE for some cool air down here. Maybe the weather guys got it all messed up - it's WE that are having the hotter than usual summer. Ack! Even the ocean is bathtub warm. Yuck.

Didn't realize that AK stayed that cold even during the summer! Shudder to think of your winters. brrrrr....

Denise - just let me know when you want to house swap!!!

Thanks for the good wishes for my son, rhasche. We are thrilled that he has this opportunity to see such a magnificent state. I noticed on their itinerary that one of their meals will be at the Sourdough Mining Co. I will make sure to pass along your recommendation about having sourdough pancakes while on the trip.

Just a little local color... "Dusty Sourdough" (the character/actor/author associated with the Sourdough Mining Co.) is a client. The dog in his books is a patient.

Big D - should I send you a jar of cool air? :rolleyes::D (If only that would work). The whole summer won't be this cool - or, I should say, it's UNLIKELY to be - no guarantees on the weather up here. We all start whining if it goes over 75 degrees. OTOH, we usually don't much mind the cold til it stays colder than 20 below zero for more than a week or two, or more than 40 below for several days.... :D:D

Me again! I went to alaska last january. It was an experience I will never forget!!!!! Each morning I would look at the temp. and it was always 42 below, where I was, I would wait till it "warmed" up before going for my walk with the dogs. 35 below. And the nights were beyond words, with the lights dancing. I would go again in a heart beat in winter. I better stop talking about alaska now, cuz, I could run out of room. Anyone out there who wants to go should by all means. I have never been on a cruise to alaska, I just did everything on my own and found it to be more relaxing and true to the real thing.

I noticed on my son's itinerary that they do have some sightseeing time and there were plans to see Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Park, and to explore Anchorage and the downtown market. Any other ideas for interesting sights that might be off the usual tourist-beaten path?

• 4 weeks later...

AK Dog Doc, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know that I talked to my son on the phone tonight and he was singing the praises of the SLEEP MASK that you recommended! On one of our last trips to Wal-Mart before he left, we picked one up and he practiced sleeping in it several nights. He is now the envy of everyone in his group and they all want one. He said he is sleeping great and is well-rested. Thanks again for passing along such a useful tip.

He thinks Alaska is magnificent!

Wow, I am jealous! I LOVE Alaska. I have been 3 times over the last 5 yrs, and I would move there in the blink of an eye, if my hubby said let's goooo!

I would suggest a trip to the new Native American/Alaskan Heritage Museum in Anchorage, if he has time. A great educational experience of Alaska's heritage. It is a tourist spot, but it's small

enough that you can take time talking to some of the natives one on one and they have some facinating stories and skills to share. They have (outside) replicas of all the types of native alaskan living quarters (for lack of a better word), and you get to go inside with a guide who explains the life style of his or her tribe/families.

Is he going on a cruise for the glacier? I also recommend a ride on the AK RR... very cool. You can go from Anchorage to Seward (a neat little town on the water, about 1/2 day trip, I think). A very neat experience, sitting in the dome car, and/or eating lunch in the dining car while rolling down the track!

And last but not least, a hike away from the city is a must. With a group is best, for possible animal encounters.

I seriously second the Moose warning! give them their space for sure! My grandson & I got unknowningly too close to a mom with cubs and she came after us in no uncertain terms. It was by the grace of God and a good pair of hiking boots, that supported my very weak ankles while running like no grandma has run before!, that saved my and my grandsons, booty :eek: Anyway, what a great experience he has in store!

Sending my wishes for a safe and wonderful trip!

Thanks for the great sightseeing ideas, Joe Anne! I'll pass those along when I talk to him tomorrow. I know they spent all of today looking around Anchorage so I hope they went to the Alaskan Heritage Museum. I didn't get many details about the glacier because he was on a borrowed cell phone that had a horrible connection. They meet up with the rest of the mission project participants on Sunday to get their project assignment, but they have Wednesday off so I hope they will continue to explore.

Fortunately, my son remembered seeing a video several years ago at Yellowstone that showed how quickly a bison could move, so I knew he would give any animals a wide berth!

It is just cracking me up that a sleep mask (which seems kinda geeky, on the face of it) has made your son so popular and envied by his peers! Never thought a sleep mask would turn out to be a status symbol! :D I'm glad that turned out well - very smart of him to practice sleeping in it first. We ARE starting to get a little darkness at night now - dusky for a few hours, unlike 2 weeks ago when you could read all night without electricity and never needed your headlights to drive - but it's still light enough to wake you up at ungodly hours in the morning, and keep you up til all hours at night.

I'm glad your son is having fun, and he's right - it's spectacular up here. It's not for everyone, of course - in the winter it's almost as dark as the summer is light, and it gets cold and icy and cold and snowy and cold and windy and cold and dark and cold. And did I mention dark? :rolleyes: There's shivering your way to the shower in the morning because no matter what you do it seems like the floor is chilly, and the minute the hot water is turned off icy little drafts grip your ankles and make your toes curl up away from the floor. There's freezing your damp hair solid when you go out to bring in the (frozen) water dishes in the morning and having your nostrils immediately freeze shut if you chance to inhale through your nose. There's shivering your way to your truck to warm it up (hoping it'll turn over after a day parked at work or a night parked at home, even if you've plugged it in), and cold so deep that your hands ache and turn numb and clumsy in the 60 seconds it takes from getting out of the truck to plugging it in. There are the slippery roads, and that thing where you're stopped on a hill waiting for the light to change and you feel your tires start to skid juuuust that little bit, just beginning to lose purchase on the ice, and jimmying your brake to try to grab some traction before you slide into the next vehicle up. There's driving to work in the dark and going home in the dark for days on end, and weeks when it never gets above 20 below zero, day or night. Myself, I love it - the cold and dark are no more than an incoveneince, and though I've had a few bad moments on the roads, in the main I'm pretty happy with my lot - but as I say: not for everyone!

Your son is here at the best time of the year, though - deep summer. I hope he has the time of his life and gets lots of bragging rights back home, not just for coming here, but for what he's doing while he's here - he certainly deserves a lot of credit for that! (Bless him.)