BC Boards

Antlers

We've recently discovered the joy of antlers. My 2 LOVE them! They are expensive though and they seem to go through them quickly. How long do they normally last around your households? I bought 2 XL ones less then 3 weeks ago at about $23 each. They each lasted for about a week. There's still a little left on each of them but I suspect they'll have to be thrown out before the weekend is over. They like to work on one at a time and take turns with that one until it's gone. It keeps them quiet but I can't really afford to be spending that much on them. Eeks! I guess they'll be special treats only.

My next question is what do you do with them if you get them fresh off the animal? It's hunting season here and there's a chance that I might be able to get some fresh ones. Do I have to do anything to them or just give them to them as they are?

I was given one, just a small one, and it has lasted over 2 months now, while being accessible to all the dogs all the time. They seem to like it, and my dogs are chewers. I would never pay that price for one, though. Just find hunters in your area and get them a lot cheaper.... or free.

Elk vs. deer as well as age and size of the antlers makes a difference to how long they'll last. I would also think there would be a significant difference between an older shed as opposed to from a freshly killed animal. It could be you had an old shed, and it was already weakened by the time your pups got to it. It may be a little difficult to get fresh antlers from hunters because they might want to mount them, but they should run into quite a few recent sheds and might be willing to bring you some cheaply or free of charge. I know some people teach their dogs to find and bring them sheds...if you have wooded areas where you live you could make your dogs find their own chews tongue.gif

How long they last depends on the mood of my dog(s) at that moment. I've had some last weeks or months, and I've had others be gone in a few days (we take them away when they get too small). Usually, one dog starts to chew on one, and that gets the other two interested in chewing on them. The last few days, my dogs were in the mood to chew, and they have mostly chewed as much as I'm going to let them. The left over pieces are getting pretty small.

I've bought them before, but they are so dang expensive. I'm lucky, though, that I have a friend with some property in CO. Every year, her husband will bring back a bunch of antlers that he finds around the property. He cuts them into smaller pieces and she gives me a bag of the cut antlers. They would have to be pretty fresh (from this season's shed) because they don't last long in the environment. All kinds of little critters like to chew on them. We don't do anything to the antlers prior to giving them to the dogs.

I recently ordered some moose antlers from a great company - Arcadia Antlers- http://www.acadiaantlers.com/ - their shipping is free and fast, so it's worth trying.

Unfortunately Ouzo's reaction to the moose taster slices ($5/each only) was just as expected - a bit of chewing and then forgetting about them. He's just not a big chewer. Bully sticks, yes, he likes those, but anything harder, beah...

1940703.jpg?7450056?1234924

I saw they have some huge ones as well that look like they'd last for a while :)

4289686.jpg?217?6528667?2544236?8120386

I'm not sure of the logistics of shipping antlers across the border. I ended up ordering some from Best Bully Sticks. Found a couple of friends to go in on a 10 pack. Should be here any day now.

Kristi, love it! I was wondering how long it would take before someone posted a pic like that. :)

I love the antlers since it is one of the few things that most of my dogs don't destroy instantly!

However, has anyone ever had stomach issues with their dogs because of them? Not saying it is them but trying to isolate some issues with a friends dog.

Jack was going through the dura-chew Nylabones in anywhere from a day to 30 minutes. I picked up a 6 or 7ish inch antler for him maybe 2 weeks ago. He still hasn't lost interest and there's a ton of it left. Well worth the exorbitant cost. Next time, I'll definitely buy in bulk online to save some money tho.

I love the antlers since it is one of the few things that most of my dogs don't destroy instantly!

However, has anyone ever had stomach issues with their dogs because of them? Not saying it is them but trying to isolate some issues with a friends dog.

I've not had any stomach issues with them. That's supposed to be one of the benefits of them that they are not hard on sensitive stomachs.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not had any stomach issues with them. That's supposed to be one of the benefits of them that they are not hard on sensitive stomachs.

I've read that if they have a lot of spongy in them it may upset their stomachs if they're sensitive to it. Brock just turned 1yo and he is a super chewer! I discovered the antlers at my feed store a few months ago. The first one was destroyed in less than 2 weeks. The next one I got was a jumbo size and that lasted a little longer. I just ordered a larger one off one of the sites listed above.

I've read that if they have a lot of spongy in them it may upset their stomachs if they're sensitive to it. Brock just turned 1yo and he is a super chewer! I discovered the antlers at my feed store a few months ago. The first one was destroyed in less than 2 weeks. The next one I got was a jumbo size and that lasted a little longer. I just ordered a larger one off one of the sites listed above.

I never had it give them the runs or get sick, but I once had a dog with some significant constipation from consuming way too much antler at one time because he was able to rip through the spongy part in a hour or two (where previously he had never done that!)...

My dog likes them and chews on them off and on. Hers last a long time because of this and the fact that my sister and her husband live out in the country and their hounds have a tendency of going out and finding dead deer and draging parts like antlers home; and some get brought to us for our Layla.

I like to sometimes smear peanut butter on one and leave it for her (on her torn up rug) when I have to go out and get a feeling that she's not going to be happy with that. This happened last night when I had to go out in a windstorm and she was nervous. It keeps her occupied and I can leave with less worry on her part.

We just got our first antler yesterday. All the dogs have chewed it some, but they easily gave it up for others to have a turn, so I think it's safe to say mine aren't crazy about them and they'll last a long time.