BC Boards

Costumes/Clothing For Dogs?

Since Halloween is in a few days,& many people dress there dogs for halloween,it think of this topic.

My personal opinion? NO, unless it's for warmth or protection, dress up dog is unnecessary.

I'm sure a lot of people also think agility is unnecessary and that it is cruel to make a dog work sheep or cattle that could hurt them. Everyone has their own opinion on what is necessary for a dog. To me, it is mostly harmless and would rather concern myself with what is actually cruel for a dog. Most people that spend the time and money to dress their dog up for Halloween probably at least take care of their dog.

Hm, as long as you're not really torturing the dog with what it's wearing (too-tight, constrictive costume or worn for too long), I'd say go for it. It's only one day of the year.

My standard poodle has an alligator costume he'll be wearing, he doesn't mind, whenever he wears it the dog cookie jar comes out. :lol:

I have no problem with people dressing up there dog, even though I think it's unnecessary, it doesn't mean it's fun to do. Once in awhile I do dress up Bindy(shhh...).

in my biased opinion:

-dressing a dog up with a costume for an event/holiday for fun? awesome

-giving a smooth coated and low body fat dog a sweater when its really cold? great idea

-a raincoat or coat on a dog in really cold or wet weather when outside? I bet they appreciate it

-making your dog wear dresses, pajamas and daily clothes to satisfy your need to dress something up, regardless of the dogs comfort? dumb

I saw a chihuahua being walked in a fur edged coat in 70 degree weather...really? the pug in a cheerleader outfit being pushed in the stroller was even dumber.

the pug in a cheerleader outfit being pushed in the stroller was even dumber.

...you didn't take a picture?! :D I would love to have seen that.

At one of our big parks near me I saw a little dog being pushed in a stroller, so far that is the the only time I have seen it in person.

I too love the batman costumes! What a great picture of you guys!

My boy, Devon, has no undercoat. He does have a lined wind breaker jacket that he wears when we walk and the windchills are below 0 degrees. I think it helps him. I have seen him shiver outside in the winter.

As far as dog costumes for halloween, I think they are funny! :)

Sadly, my stepmom has 2 Chis and has a double decker stroller for them. I'm embarassed to even admit that. :blink:

Always the exceptions: I knew an older man who had 3 Chihuahuas who he walked every day, rain or shine. When one got old and couldn't keep up, he bought the dog a stroller so he could still come along on the walks. I thought that was kind of awesome, actually. The dog seemed to really enjoy being out in it.

Has anyone heard of those 'doggy handbag' slings, where the dog's supposed to look like a handbag rather than fit inside one? There are holes for the legs, and handles to carry the dog by.

My first thought when looking at those wasn't 'Oh my god, what a stupid idea', but, shamefully, 'Hey, those could be useful for small dogs with arthritis!"

So if you see someone walking with an embarrassed-looking dog under their arm...

Sam'smom- that is absolutely amazing. Even the epic faces you're both making, and the mid-air pose.

You should do one of you both staring off meaningfully into the middle distance.

I'd let the dog decide. I've had dogs that loved it, ran to people to be admired, and never stopped grinning the whole time. I've had dogs that gave me such a look for so much as a bow on the collar.

I say, dress up the show-offs and save your money with the others. What's cute about a dog sulking?