BC Boards

hurricane Sandy

I hope everyone is ready and staying safe. We just finished the last preparations. Livestock was moved to a barn that has been boarded up and reinforced against the wind. I couldn't have done it without Juniper who worked for several hours. For an hour of that time she was on her own, holding my goats in a field while we finished prepping the barn. They were right were I left them when I came back to get them. Flooding won't be a problem for us but the wind could be a major threat. We are being told to expect 75 mph wind and up to 10 inches of rain.

We had it Friday and Saturday,just wind and rain for us. Today has been amazingly beautiful, so my wish for all of you in this storms path is that you weather it lightly and have an amazing day after. Good luck , keep tight, and keep everyone in the path covered in prayer.

Prayers are Going out to everyone who is being effect or will be,& stay safe.I Hope there's not much damage,& that all

is safe.

Just wind and some rain for us. Our house is on a hill so not worried about flooding. Of course we are surrounded by trees but a tree shouldn't hit the house if it comes down - most are facing/leaning away from the house. The cars on the other hand could get hit.

We are more concerned about losing power but again that happens rarely for us but we have had some flickers.

Hope everyone stays safe. I have some friends up near Delaware/NJ and hoping they fare well.

Just wind and some rain for us. Our house is on a hill so not worried about flooding. Of course we are surrounded by trees but a tree shouldn't hit the house if it comes down - most are facing/leaning away from the house. The cars on the other hand could get hit.

We are more concerned about losing power but again that happens rarely for us but we have had some flickers.

Hope everyone stays safe. I have some friends up near Delaware/NJ and hoping they fare well.

Stay safe & dry. Hopefully the power won't go out, this summer I went SE Minnesota,& the power went for about 18 hours, it was horrible! Prayers go out to you & the dogs.

We had it Friday and Saturday,just wind and rain for us. Today has been amazingly beautiful, so my wish for all of you in this storms path is that you weather it lightly and have an amazing day after. Good luck , keep tight, and keep everyone in the path covered in prayer.

I'm glad it passed of you with no damage,that's fabulous news!

My DB/SIL live in Maryland. They still had power a little while ago, but the worst of the storm was still a couple hours out for them. I'm not on the east coast, but the edge of the storm is starting to move into SW Michigan. It's quite windy now and National Weather service is saying that there could be waves over 30 ft tomorrow on Lake Michigan :blink: :blink: It's mind boggling that we're getting high winds from the same storm that's on the east coast right now.

it's like a bowl of rice crispies here. everything's going snap crackle and pop. lost power at around 2 last night. have about 8 to 10 inches of snow. the trees are decimated. snapping under the weight of ice and snow. finally got the generator running after having to heat it up with warm dishrags. will try to clean satalite dish on roof to get reception. other than that, nice and cozy here. dogs love the snow!! take care all.

We were lucky here in SW VA. High winds, but not much rain. Electricity stayed on for the most part. Our barn lost 2 strips of metal roofing (it's very old) in the wind. This was nothing close to as damaging as the derecho that flew through here on June 30 of this year (6 days without power).

I am astounded at the images I am seeing on TV from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. My heart goes out to the people in that area.

Jovi

We're at the outer edge of it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be here when I got up this morning. I think the worst of what we're going to get is yet to come but it'll likely just be some rain. I've been watching the damage that's been done and it's heartbreaking. I hope everyone stays safe, dry and warm.

We all survived the storm. Some minor damage, but it can all be fixed. Still no power. The state road near me looks bad, though not as bad as it did last year when we got 3 ft of snow in October. I think that storm took down most of the weak trees.

We dodged the bullet too (just outside Baltimore). Our power went out ~ 2 PM yesterday, but thankfully we have GREAT neighbors across the street who retained theirs, and they let us stretch extension cords across the street so that we could keep our freezer powered. Today I went out and bought five bags of ice (for the fridge and cold chests) and five extension cords (to power the home server/router). BG&E can't predict when power will be back, but in the interim, I'll eat at Chipotle or grill something (or cook on the gas cooktop), my son will buy lunches at school, and I'll encourage the dog to cuddle with me in bed (and my son will cuddle with the kitten). Only lost one tile on the side of the house, no trees fallen, so I feel very fortunate.

My sister-in-law in NY reports of far worse conditions.

Funny how hundred year storms are occurring every couple of years....

^^Climate change much?

Glad everyone seems to have come through the other side of the storm fairly intact. My dad had some flooding; my sister had an enormous tree come crashing through her roof. The little house she bought before she was married and kept (just in case, but we won't talk about that) is entirely under water. No one has power. But everyone is okay! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We all survived the storm. Some minor damage, but it can all be fixed. Still no power. The state road near me looks bad, though not as bad as it did last year when we got 3 ft of snow in October. I think that storm took down most of the weak trees.

Glad to hear your doing alright,& that it can be fixed.

We dodged the bullet too (just outside Baltimore). Our power went out ~ 2 PM yesterday, but thankfully we have GREAT neighbors across the street who retained theirs, and they let us stretch extension cords across the street so that we could keep our freezer powered. Today I went out and bought five bags of ice (for the fridge and cold chests) and five extension cords (to power the home server/router). BG&E can't predict when power will be back, but in the interim, I'll eat at Chipotle or grill something (or cook on the gas cooktop), my son will buy lunches at school, and I'll encourage the dog to cuddle with me in bed (and my son will cuddle with the kitten). Only lost one tile on the side of the house, no trees fallen, so I feel very fortunate.

My sister-in-law in NY reports of far worse conditions.

It's always good to have neighbors like that! Happy to hear theres no damage at your house! Prayers go out to your family who is being effect.

We may get the '2012 prophecy of doom' coming true yet at this rate. :P

It was very moderate here on the east coast of MA, thank goodness. Our neighbor had a tree come down on their house but they are fine, no damage here. I had a friend driving back from Buffalo, NY yesterday and thankfully they managed to dodge the storm. I hope everyone gets power back as soon as possible.

We took the dog to the beach today, the rocks had certainly rearranged themselves, and one of these had washed up, surprisingly enough:

j7wc2v.jpg

It is gigantic (obviously most of it is underwater in this pic, and no real size comparison, but HUGE), I'm wondering how they're gonna move it. :D

ETA: Glad to hear Juniper did her job well. :)

Yeah, but there's NO SUCH THING as global warming... dry.gif

Funny how global climate change is just NOT part of anyone's political agenda this election. But that's just political reality, sigh.

I do understand that Romney accepts that global climate warming is occurring. He just denies that humans are responsible. Which is unfathomable to me... but then I'm one of those environmental scientists. The ones who don't understand the basis for the press' claim that "even scientists don't agree". We don't agree on the MAGNITUDE of warming to expect, because no one is certain of future CO2 emissions scenarios (how much control will we be able to exert?). But that global climate change is occurring, and that it's caused by humans - the overwhelming majority of environmental scientists speak with a single voice on THAT one.

I liked the World Wildlife fund's statement: https://worldwildlife.org/press_releases/world-wildlife-fund-statement-on-superstorm-sandy

(off my soapbox...).