BC Boards

Why didn't anyone ever tell me...

Last night I was working with Stormy, and all of a sudden, right after rewarding her for a behavior I wanted, she stopped, considered and if she could speak English she would have said "Oh, THAT'S what you want". It was like there was a switch in her brain that suddenly went into the on position. No one ever told me that there were on switches. Now I just have to figure out how to turn it on again.

Last night I was working with Stormy, and all of a sudden, right after rewarding her for a behavior I wanted, she stopped, considered and if she could speak English she would have said "Oh, THAT'S what you want". It was like there was a switch in her brain that suddenly went into the on position. No one ever told me that there were on switches. Now I just have to figure out how to turn it on again.

Aren't those the great moments? I love that "lightbulb just turned on" expression when the dog gets the idea. :) Especially in the early stages of training when it makes such an impact on the dog.

I love that!!! I've seen Layla's "on switch" flip like that and it's really cool! One time she did it when we had first started taking agility classes and she was afraid of the dog walk. We were waiting our turn and she was watching the other dogs in the class go up and over the walk and she started barking and getting all aggitated and I just knew the way she was watching them that she had decided "OH THAT! If they can do that I know I can!" And when it was our turn again she whizzed right over it as if she hadn't feared a thing 15 minutes before.

Amazing!