BC Boards

Duck w very swollen ankle or?

mickif

I have looked online, can't find what I'm looking for. I recently got a few ducks, found out quickly they are not people broke. One hurt it's foot initially outside toe n ankle a bit swollen n as a few days went by, the foot, ankle n leg are swollen. It has been crated for 3 days, swelling is not going down, she holds foot up most of the time, it is warm but not as hot as it was a few days ago. I really don't want to take it to the vet if I can figure out what to do myself. She is eating n drinking. Sorry this is so cut n dry, I am on my phone. Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

I've had several ducks with leg injuries. I've always just let them be- isolated if necessary. They always recover in a few weeks. The isolated duck seems happier if it can be near the rest of the flock.

Good luck "people breaking" them. I have one duck who likes people. I got her from a family whose kids held her from day one. Even the ducks hatched by a very tame (chicken) hen are total neutrals about people. Ducks are kinda like that, it seems.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated! The others sleep next to her crate :)/> she does not seem overly stressed. Yeah, my vision of ducks flocking to me has faded!

I lived with some people who had a flock of Indian Runner/Khaki Campbell's. I took care of them a lot. I used to look for worms for them. On hot days I would sprinkle them with the hose. But the worms were what made me popular. Those ducks always woke up and crowded around when I went in their pen. Hey, cupboard love is better than no love! :lol:

post-10533-021318300 1355365383_thumb.jpg