BC Boards

Remind Me Again

So beautiful fall is here in the Hudson Valley. Over the summer we have got a hold on rolling in horse manure. On the weekends we are working at a local farm with sheep. (No rolling in sheep poo either at least not while she is working.)

But.......... Every morning we walk the border of our farm. If I am very lucky I can catch her right before she drops and rolls. But this week I think I am an expert at the smell and consistency of wildlife poop.

Deer, Turkey, Squirrel, Hawk, Racoon, Possum, Rabbit, Canadian Geese, Coyote, Fox and her all time favorite Cat. :huh:

No telling why they love to roll in 'it'. Actually, of what you mentioned, most are not too bad (i.e. rather solid) with the exception of the birdsh*t. Goose poop is nasty.

Personally, I love it (not) when the neighbors cows break through the fence and deposit their gallons of feces on the field where I walk the dogs. The cows are not the healthiest as their feces are the consistency of pea soup. (I know that cow poop is rather loose, but this stuff is exceptionally watery and disgusting.) When they roll in a pile of that stuff, EEUWWW!

Jovi

Because they need to come back and show you what great stuff they found! ;)

Wesley would rather pick things up (dead seagull, seal, blobfish) and run around trying to entice people into playing keep away than roll in things. :rolleyes:

Although I don't care for using the hose out back to clean off a smelly dog, I'd rather Dixie rolled in it than ate it.

Goose poop causes really nasty diarrhea. And an infection that lasts. Cat poop (although we have turned Maggie's covered litter box to face the corner so Dixie cannot sneak there, the neighborhood feral cats - and raccoons and possums - leave tempting piles along our walks) leaves really nasty breath.

It has always been my impression that they think of it as perfume. :rolleyes:

Yes. And they appreciate what humans think of as perfume about as much as most folks do of theirs. I tend to agree, but eau de mouette mort (pardon my mangled French.) is not my favorite, although it's not too bad if said seagull has been dead for a few weeks.

After Renoir rolls in something gross he runs upstairs and hops into the tub all by himself, so we've decided it's his way of asking for a bath :)

Pig poo is the worst, it takes at least 3 rinse and repeats before you start smelling dog again.

Goose poop causes really nasty diarrhea. And an infection that lasts.

But it looks like green tinged tootsie roll (at least the Canada Goose droppings do), yuck! So, during certain times of year, I've opted for the walking track/park in order to avoid the geese, only to find that some other beast routinely leaves his opinion on the pavement the town fathers ran through his habitat.

I'm convinced it's bear scat... Hannah is convinced it's interesting.

Frisbee Girl, yes slimiest is a word and a very good one at that, while we're on this particular subject.

And I wish mine would go jump in the tub, but they are to proud of what they've accomplished and want to spread their joy all over the house. Gideon in particular, gets a smell check before coming in the house. He's a stealth roller, always coating himself where you can't see it.

I'm of the opinion that you are not allowed to complain until your dog has rolled in a very dead, very rotted harbour seal carcass. At 5:30AM on a work day. When you live in an apartment.

Out here my property backs onto a salmon spawning river, and at certain times of the year some verybaddogs of mine become incredibly well acquainted with the hose.

RDM

Owners dislike it when their dog rolls in something smelly. Although dogs may sometimes roll in the grass because it feels good, rolling on the carcass of a dead animal, feces or something else smelly has instinctive roots, perhaps going back to wolves. There are several theories on why a dog will roll in something smelly. Although there is a temptation to scold your dog, it is best to realize it is natural behavior and make sure your pet doesn't have the opportunity to roll in smelly stuff.