BC Boards

Suzy Applegate & Buzz - Qualifying Run

What was the story with that ewe? I don't think I saw her lower her head to graze even once. Running around like a maniac...

Do teams always have to take the sheep they get? Do the sheep ever get disqualified?

Did Buzz get to EAT that ewe later? Sheesh! Good job, Buzz and Suzy.

I wonder, does Suzy want to take her crook off the post and gives up when the sheep are supposed to go around the post?

I saw the run and Suzy did not want to give up. I suspect what went through her mind( but I did not ask her I if am correct in my thinking) is that she knew it would not be a winning run with that ewe and Buzz came so close to winning it last year , she knows she has the dog to do it if luck is with her. The only time she will stop at this level is for the dog's welfare. In the Final round it is a 30 min course and she sent Buzz to water twice ( it is allowed and but time keeps ticking) , as it was tough going and hot. The time in the water most likely cost her getting the one last ewe seperated in the internatl shed. She has trained both my dogs and I can tell you she thinks of the dog first, the placing second and her "wished" third.

As for the Qualifying run I heard several top Open handlers there tell her that there were not many dogs who could have handled that bad ewe. That ewe broke for the first time before Buzz even left the post, and it never stoped testing him the whole run. Overall the sheep were super tough and the course challenging. Lots of Rt and DQ .

I will have to fess up that I may be "biased" as I own Buzz's dam ( not when she had Buzz, but in her later yrs) . Bet is now 13 and retired. However I am not barn blind-Buzz really is that good.

Oh, but I didn't mean that she wanted to give up the run, I just thought that Suzy wanted to take her crook when the sheep were going around the post, and then changed her mind (gave up on taking her crook at this point). Their run was so good - many dogs would have hauled off and given that ewe what was coming to her.

Maja

Oh, but I didn't mean that she wanted to give up the run, I just thought that Suzy wanted to take her crook when the sheep were going around the post, and then changed her mind (gave up on taking her crook at this point). Their run was so good - many dogs would have hauled off and given that ewe what was coming to her.

Maja

Maja

Now I see what you meant. I am guessing she thought Buzz would get them around the post without her holding her crook out there. Sheep were unpredictable so maybe she thought the crook would make it worse. I havent talked with her much about her runs, except that she did tell me she was very proud of them.

Fun to be able to see videos of these runs isn't it?

Yes, it's great. I learn a lot from watching and a good dog it's always a beautiful sight to behold. During our last trial, I had this feeling I get sometimes that I just want to drift off and admire Bonnie and I had to then kick myself back into action. :lol: