BC Boards

True confessions

I spend more money on things for Elsie than for myself.

She sleeps in my bed between me and the (formerly dog hating) b/f when we sleep in on weekends.

She has had free roam of the whole house since she was 5 months old, she has never destroyed anything and spends most of her day sleeping on my pillow.

She goes all over the couches, including walking along the back of them.

We wrestle and tug with her.

She has her own facebook page...

I feed her scraps off the plate (she still doesn't beg though!).

I buy her a little ice cream when she is being good at an agility show.

She gets raw food and a not grain free kibble.

She does pull on the lead occasionally, I know I shouldn't let her, but I don't care that much.

She gets bathed way too often (wish she would stop rolling in sh*t).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving all these confessions:

My late border collie used to steal our duvet at night ( he slept on a dog beside me) and so I got him a baby one and tucked him at night, no more cold humans and one happy dog, when he passed he was asleep under that kids feather duvet. It still makes me happy that I indulged him and got him his own feather quilt.

Awesome! I love it too. That is a great pet-sitter.

Jovi

Well, I had my grandfather watch her. He was the only one I trusted to follow her schedule and all my little "rules" when she was younger. When I called to check in, he told me Athena had a busier schedule than he did- he had been following her schedule (a "guideline" of her potty training/exercise schedule) down to the minute! He took her with him everywhere too so she wouldn't get lonely. Now, when I talk to my grandparents, they ask how "the baby" is doing.

Also, my in-laws refer to themselves as "Mimi" and "Grandpaw" to my dogs. "Mimi" has a shirt with the dog's paw prints on it that says "My granddogs call me Mimi". :)

@beachdogz- I appreciate that :) It was a hard time when my Arrow was sick. I try to be realistic about my dog's help, so I go with traditional medicine when it calls for it and holistic when it makes sense. I didn't see the sense in making my dog go through chemo. I live in a small town with a large vet school and the vets around here really annoy me. Except my holistic vet (who uses traditional medicine when necessary- I like having the best of both worlds :))

Also, my in-laws refer to themselves as "Mimi" and "Grandpaw" to my dogs. "Mimi" has a shirt with the dog's paw prints on it that says "My granddogs call me Mimi". :)

Pleeeeeease don't let my in laws hear about that!! They think Rudder and Max are their grandbabies and always refer to them as such.

I love these, I'm guilty of most. I also let them run rampant at the barn when no one else is there, and semi-rampant when other people are there. The only time I make them behave or pen them up is when someone is riding. They know better than to go near the horses, so I continue to let them run wild even though Rudder thinks horse poop is the most delicious thing in the world...

Haha!

I don't mind- it keeps them from bugging us about having real babies :) It's like the dogs are filling some hole that wants grandkids.

Although, "Mimi" told me once I had a real baby, I wouldn't feel the same about my dogs. Clearly she has never loved a dog like we have <3. I'll just tell my dogs AND my kids nighty night every night :)

Haha!

I don't mind- it keeps them from bugging us about having real babies :) It's like the dogs are filling some hole that wants grandkids.

Although, "Mimi" told me once I had a real baby, I wouldn't feel the same about my dogs. Clearly she has never loved a dog like we have <3. I'll just tell my dogs AND my kids nighty night every night :)

Hogwash. I have 2 kids and that never diminished my love for my pets. We have infinite capacity for love, and besides, my furry children are MUCH easier than my human ones! :P

hmm lets see lol

-when Rusty attacks other dogs, I pin him. all other methodes made him worse to the point that I was reccomended to put him down. these days, I still dont allow him loose with my moms male, but they can be within reach of one another without issue, and all other dogs he used to have issues with(attack on sight), he is totally fine with now.

-I feed both raw and kibble and often mix them

-not all "grocery store" kibbles are bad, I have seen several awsome kibbles sold in Walmart and Superstore. Baby dogs kibble has an ingredient list that rivels Orijen 6 fish- its Presidents Choice(loblaws) brand.

-I vaccinate some dogs more then others

-Rusty is double coated, but I shave him anyway

-I own and use an e-collar

-I also use lots of positive, treat based training methods

Ummm, yep, bad dog owner here too:

If I am late for my agility lesson and have not been able to squeeze in dinner for me (the dog always gets a light dinner), I will - gasp - eat some of the dog treats I bring along. Actually, this happens only when I happen to bring some string cheese with me. Any other type of treat is pretty disgusting (liver treats, etc.)

Jovi

If I am late for my agility lesson and have not been able to squeeze in dinner for me (the dog always gets a light dinner), I will - gasp - eat some of the dog treats I bring along. Actually, this happens only when I happen to bring some string cheese with me. Any other type of treat is pretty disgusting (liver treats, etc.)

Hahahahaha - I've been known to do that, too. With cheese, of course.

-Jack gets the last sip of every cup of coffee I drink at home.

-Jack, Lilly and Will are terrible leash walkers. Alex was born perfect, so that's the only reason he isn't.

-We share people food with them regularly.

-They can sleep with us in bed if they want, and they take turns doing so. Lilly even gets to be under the covers if she wants.

-Letting them out the door to the back yard usually results in a loud, annoying barkfest and the border collies think it's a race. We do nothing to stop this.

-My husband and I sometimes send each other text messages that are supposed to be from a dog. :rolleyes:

-They are current on rabies vaccines, but not the required county licenses.

-We love them like they're our children.

-And worst of all, I participate in AKC agility and "herding" trials with Alex.

Hogwash. I have 2 kids and that never diminished my love for my pets. We have infinite capacity for love, and besides, my furry children are MUCH easier than my human ones! :P

Yup - you can throw the furry ones in crates if you can't deal with them at the moment :lol: :lol:

As far as kids go, Kenzi LOVES people of all shapes and sizes. If I have kids some day I'd love to watch her interact with them. She adores my nieces and would be in heaven if there was one around all the time :D

Four dogs, all spoiled.

DH makes homemade dog treats for the dogs every week - even though I am the one who got the dogs.

I tuck Gracie into her bed every night with her blanket.

Multiple time a day I pick up all the toys that cover our house. Wish I could get them to put their own toys away.

Multiple time a day I pick up all the toys that cover our house. Wish I could get them to put their own toys away.

LOL!! I long ago ceased to put the toys away unless company is coming or I am cleaning a whole room at once. Dean believes it is his job to systematically empty the toy basket, even of the things he doesn't play with.

I could teach him to put things away, but I've never bothered. Anyway, all he would do is put everything back and then empty it again!!

:) this seems like fun as long as I don't have to go through intervention.

I feed raw sometimes I have to buy them cheaper quality food since I can't afford the better type.

I resent not being able to feed them dry since dry is more convenient and I like the known ingredients nutritional value. (Raw isn't all created equal and if the animal didn't get a balance diet neither will your dog)

I crate one dog who isn't trustworthy but sometime leave him loose and get upset when I come home to a mess.

I could be part of my dogs problem since I always encourage focus on me. Maybe I did to good of a job on the wrong type of dog that didn't need the constant reminder.

I don't mind my girl being a total b*tch.

I don't mind competing in AKC.

I share all my food. One bite for me one bite/dog.

All styrofoam container are generally for the dogs.

If the dog is trying to take food and comes up with a very clever/sneaky plan I let them get away with it. But I don't ever let them just take it.

I let Cressa have in input on her relationship with my nieces and nephew. She is allowed to tell them to back off and has her space she is allowed to protect. It help increase her confidence to now where she likes them and will seek it them out.

My dogs sleep on the bed.

I vaccinate my dogs. And I still need to get their hips checked.

I have sometimes sent my dogs off with people they werent crazy about/liked.

I hike and go for walks without leashes.

Troy sometimes will not listen and try to say hi to certain people.

I haven't figure out how to get Troy not to jump on people.

Nor have I figure out how to teach Troy how to respect boundary.

Troy howls in his kennel at shows or will escape any xpen when left behind.

I haven't figure out how to teach Cressa not to jump up on exhibitor tables at dogs trials.

Cressa gets away with bad behavior most time because she is Cressa. Even other people let her get away with bad behavior. She just has that type of aurora.

I don't always put my dogs in kennel in the car. And I still haven't found a safe way to travel with Cressa in the car.

ETA: I also like clean dogs and I trim their feet and ears... and once in awhile give them a once over to make them pretty looking.

And maybe worst thing worst I will set ear. If I see floppy ears on my pup I start setting. I don't mid tips nor how the ears are up just as long as its not hound ears. Ick!

-My roommates and I moved into a townhouse with four dogs. We fully intended to get a dining room table - but the dogs wrestle in the dining room. And so we eat on the couch - who needs a table in the way?

-Whenever a dog is bad in the house (accident/chewing) I have never once thought it could be my dog.

-I love my dog to death and don't particularly care for one of my roommates dogs. I try to tell myself it's because of the aggression issues / pottying in the house, but truly I just can't stand the dog's personality. Besides, Sully doesn't like him either and that's good enough for me.

-I refuse to feel guilty anymore about feeding my dog from the "table"(couch); giving him treats for good behavior, and going up to pet him and walking right past the other dogs.

-I routinely drive to petsmart, tractor supply, or petco just so Sully can get out of the house. I also go to outdoor restaurants just so Sully can go out to eat.

-Vacation is not vacation without Sully. My bf and I went away together- to a dog friendly beach in an off-leash town where Sully slept with us every night.

-MY birthday present to myself was agility equipment.

-The only thing I have found that keeps Sully calm during storms is to bring him in my bed and literally lay spooning him with one leg slung over him. Even if it is just raining we have to sleep that way.

-I learned to love tolerate jogging because I was getting into shape and it was the only exercise I could do with my dog every day.

-I have started telling children he is "mean" when they ask to pet him in order to scare them away, because children make him nervous.

-I encourage my dog to jump on me, my couch, my bed... I taught tricks for him to distinguish which piece of furniture I would like him to jump on. '

That is all for now - I'm sure there are more!!

I don't mid tips nor how the ears are up just as long as its not hound ears. Ick!

I guess I lucked out there. Hannah has just about every possible ear carriage except hound, and she often sports a different type on each ear...