BC Boards

True confessions

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barking with the dogs? No, not here. But we do have occasional howl-fests, where I get to howling, Ed gets to howling, and we see how many of the dogs will howl along (our version of "Sing Along with Mitch" is "Howl Along with *itch", for those of you old enough to remember Mitch Miller and his gang). Our old Aussie, Mac, could get a good howl going on. In recent years, the champion yodeler was Bute - small dog, big howl. Now Dan can get pretty silly once he gets his howl on.

A lot of what goes on in our house, dogwise or otherwise, disproves the concept that everyone gets more serious as they age...

Ah-rooooo!

My dogs work for a living

they sleep in the house.

Most sleep on the bed.

They get goats milk in the morning

I don't buy them toys

But people bring them toys

So all the toys are in the house.

They can sit/lay on the couch.

They all trial, but Gunny the red Marine does not for obvious reasons if you have read my comments on her.

I am not a great trainer but a good senior partner.

My dogs are dogs, my paychecks are a gift from them.

I give them bones.

One likes to sleep in the bathtub.

You guys are so fun

I used to "talk" to Mick out in CO, now he barks talks everytime we walk out the door. So I'd rather roo with them cause talking gets a bit on my nerves!

I buy furniture just for the dogs!

They are more spoiled than my children ever were.

My DH had a rule long ago that no dogs were on the bed if he was. We followed it till Faye came, he's smitten with her so the rule went out the window and she got to sleep on the bed with us. Now Dew has slipped in.

I buy and decorate my house and farm according to what is good for the dogs. No carpet, easy wash leather furniture, farm...

Yep 12 steps might not be enough but like everyone else, we're happy and we're not going to change!

Tiga's recall is terrible and we kind of gave up after a while.

Tiga still pulls on a leash and again we kind of gave up after a while.

I let both of my dogs lick my face, hands and legs.

My dogs are allowed on the furniture.

Whenever we have a turkey dinner, I make up a plate for the dogs, and yes it's on an actual plate.

I "sing" (howl) with the dogs occasionally when I know the neighbors are not home.

I would let Tiga sleep in our bed all night if he wanted to but he doesn't.

I will probably let Annie sleep in the bed if she can ever be trusted outside of her crate overnight.

I sometimes get frustrated and yell at the dogs.

I give the dogs the yogurt drink bottles when I'm finished with them to lick out.

Tiga has never been in a crate.

Both dogs get a treat ball and a kong frozen with yogurt everyday.

I'm sure there's more.

But I have an arrangement with my dogs. I accept their flaws and they accept mine. It works out very well. I try to improve on mine to the degree that I can, and I help them to improve on theirs to the degree that they can.

We also have this agreement.... My husband always apologizes to our late dogs for not being the dog owners we are now, we are more permissive, more relaxed, more of many of the things everyone has listed yet my current canine friends have better manners (most of the time, we won't talk about what happens if I am eating cheese that is between Brody and I), are just all round better companions despite the all the "rules" we break.

Yet despite our more permissive attitudes, our dogs are better trained as I interact with the dogs all the time because training with rewards and a dog who wants to play with you is just down right fun.

I've been known to bark along with my dogs from time to time, but I cannot - no matter how hard I try - get them to howl with me!! One of them will howl if he hears a siren or another dog howling, but with me he will not howl!!

I remembered another one: I let one of the dogs pick out my current vehicle. I picked three and let her make the final decision. I was getting one anyway, it's not a big deal right? I may have gotten a better than usual deal because the salesman was sure I was insane.

I remembered another one: I let one of the dogs pick out my current vehicle. I picked three and let her make the final decision. I was getting one anyway, it's not a big deal right? I may have gotten a better than usual deal because the salesman was sure I was insane.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I HOWLED when I read this because I could just picture that salesman watching the dog pick out the car!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I loved the last line about getting a better deal!

I love this thread.

I don't like it when the dogs bark in the house so we roo roo together. I encourage it.

My dogs pull my husband all over the place. He lets them. They don't pull me.

They eat better than I do, way better.

They are allowed/encouraged on the furniture, even to wrestle.

We wrestle and play tug with our dogs.

Gideon dances with my daughter. It's a riot.

I pull tails, ears, and hair all the time, just not hard.

They are allowed/encouraged on the furniture, even to wrestle.

Hahahaha!! When Dean first came here, he and Maddie would wrestle on the bed every day. Almost every time all of the blankets ended up on the floor. They destroyed nothing - they just wrestled and knocked everything off.

And I honestly didn't care. In fact, I loved that they had so much fun together and I totally let them have at it!

...We wrestle and play tug with our dogs...

...I pull tails, ears, and hair all the time, just not hard....

Yes! Yes!

When did wrestling and tug fall out of fashion? Seems like it was in the late '80's or early '90's when everyone was in love with the "dominance pin/roll". Now that was a disaster.

I too, do both with my dog. It hasn't turned her mouthy or aggressive. She is absolutely delighted when I pull her tail. She grins and wriggles. It always starts a romp or the zoomies.

I love this thread! I'm "guilty" of almost all of the above, at one time or another, with one dog or the other. :rolleyes: To quote from the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, "Keep to the code!" "Well, they're more like guidelines really." :D

Three of our dogs are intact. We don't have plans to neuter them.

We let the dogs who want to "herd" the cats (the cats seem to like it)

We have two dogs who would kill each other if they could and we kept them both anyway

We bought six of our dogs from breeders.

Our only "Canine Good Citizen" is our worst trained dog (but he will hold a treat on his snout and flip it off to catch it)

We don't clip our dogs nails very often. We almost never bathe them.

We had a flea problem this summer but declined to have an exterminator come bomb our house

We didn't do the work to train our dogs not to counter surf. Most of them don't all on their own.

We didn't do much to introduce our dogs to kids, men with beards/hats, other oddities they rarely encounter. Some of them are fine with kids and men with beards/hats anyway. Some aren't. We crate the ones that aren't if necessary.

As a group the dogs don't listen to me as well as they listen to grenzehund. I haven't worked very hard to change that.

We have eight dogs and they all live in the house

We went to the life the dogs pointed us toward

My worst confession:

When making meringue cookies (really gooey stuff), I may or may not put some of the left over stuff on my dog's nose when he's not looking, and then he may or may not frantically walk about the kitchen licking his nose and trying to get it off. Maybe. :P

Three of our dogs are intact. We don't have plans to neuter them.

Gasp!

(j/k, nobody can accuse you of being the average pet owner!)

Our only "Canine Good Citizen" is our worst trained dog (but he will hold a treat on his snout and flip it off to catch it)

LOL! Love it!

We have eight dogs and they all live in the house

We went to the life the dogs pointed us toward

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

I just took in a newly neutered, adult male Chihuahua. I never liked Chi's before. I now have two and love them. Hannah lets them steal her bully sticks. She also gloats because she gets to go everywhere with me while they stay home with the old guy. Yes, I am anthropomorphising.

I encourage my dogs to kiss my face

I encourage all types of vocalizing

Athena knows heel...but I never use it. I like to let her explore and allow her to be curious

Sometimes I feel bad for having a Border collie while I'm still in college, but Athena loves walking around the college campus and likes to sleep on my textbooks :) (I've had homework turned in with dog slobber on it)

Sometimes I want to throttle my rescued pit and lab. Often I yell at them, but then stop almost immediately at the look in their eyes. My lab will wag her tail if you yell at her, with an apologetic look in her eyes. This is when I feel so ashamed and have to apologize to her.

Sometimes when I'm out, I go through the wendy's drive through to get my dogs apple slices. They think it's such a fun "date". Occasionally I share my frosty with them.

Since I brought Athena home, every night I put her baby blanket around her and say "Nighty night, Sleepy tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!" just like my mom did for me. She is restless unless we do this ritual and the one time I had someone pet sit her, they had to do the same thing.

I don't feed raw. Just grain free kibble.

I don't get shots after the boosters and then 3 year rabies. I have a holistic vet. I treated my cancer dog with Chinese herbs instead of subjecting her to chemo when her cancer was terminal anyways. The vets at the Auburn Vet School have told me to my face I'm a bad owner.

If my Athena is driving my lab crazy, I just let the lab put her in her place. Same goes for the dog park. Ball thief? Koujo will put an end to that, but with just one word she'll come back to me in an instant.

Sometimes I'm too busy to train. But my dogs have good manners and most of the time with Athena, I think she's fine just to be a puppy :)

Okay,

When I came into some inheritance money, I bought a fancy-shmancy wooden dog crate for the bedroom.

When my DH complained about the dogs being in the house ALL the time, I told him he was welcome to sleep on the porch.

I truly believe that my dogs are better than everyone else's :D;):P

Sometimes when I'm out, I go through the wendy's drive through to get my dogs apple slices. They think it's such a fun "date". Occasionally I share my frosty with them.

I ♥ that.

Since I brought Athena home, every night I put her baby blanket around her and say "Nighty night, Sleepy tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!" just like my mom did for me. She is restless unless we do this ritual and the one time I had someone pet sit her, they had to do the same thing.

I ♥ that, too.

I have a holistic vet. I treated my cancer dog with Chinese herbs instead of subjecting her to chemo when her cancer was terminal anyways. The vets at the Auburn Vet School have told me to my face I'm a bad owner.

No you're not. You are a good dog owner who loves her dogs. Anyone can see that. Shame on them. :angry:

Awesome! I love it too. That is a great pet-sitter.

Jovi

Umm...

Every morning about 5, when I'm awake and getting ready to get out of bed, Buddy moves from the foot of the bed up to my belly area. I ask him if he needs his morning cuddles, then roll onto my right side, and he flops down alongside me in "spoon" position, pressed as close as he can to me. I rub his tummy and call him "Fuzzy Bunny."

Mary