BC Boards

Doing away with the kennel?

I live in a small apartment, and yes, the XL plastic airline crate takes up a lot of room, but my dog likes it and hangs out quite a bit there of her own accord (door open). I shut her in there for the ocassional time-out, but also for when work is being done around the place. As a renter, I have little to no control over when that will happen, and the handyman/plummer/construction workers don't deserve having a dog harassing them while they work (the electrician, on the other hand... <_< )

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but wonder how many less dogs would end up in shelters if the average pet owner would utilize crates more? I'm NOT talking about abuse of crating, but proper use of a crate could very well reduce the number of dogs that are turned in for housetraining issues, chewing and household/yard destruction, running away from home, etc. Would it be nice if Joe Public trained his dog better? Of course, but managagement isn't a bad thing if it means keeping dogs in homes and out of the shelter and off the euthanasia table. *shrugs*

^^^ This!

I cannot tell you all how many pet folks come to me with horror stories about what their dogs have gotten into while they were out... and often the pup is like 4 months old. A few times I've even volunteered one of my crates (gasp) and got turned down by someone saying, "Oh, we have a crate. We just don't use it." Seriously? I look at the crate as a tool to enhance and facilitate certain training, not as a substitute for it.

Growing up we didn't crate dogs. I got my first crate for Ginger because my Stepmom used to crate her dogs and made a really good case for using it. I still have that crate, though that particular one is rarely used. Ginger may not spend much time in a crate anymore, but it's certainly good to know she'll go in if need be.

All of my dogs are crated while we're traveling. When I'm at work, though, four of my five dogs are loose, and one is crated. Two of the loose dogs are closed into my bedroom, though, as they would have one giant party with one of the others all. day. long. if they weren't. Ginger, Nick and June are pretty much never in a crate except for when we're on the road. Linc is still crated at night, and Pia is still crated way more than I'd like because Pia is still very naughty.

I trust Ginger and June implicitly to stay out of trouble. I trust Nick to stay out of trouble as long as he and June aren't together. I trust Linc as long as he is in the bedroom. Pia... well, we're still working it out.

ETA: Until about 6-8 months ago Linc was crated during the day too. He's had to earn his freedom. They all have.

With the exception of Pia, none of my other dogs will put anything in their mouth that does not belong to them - even if I try to give it to them.

I won't get all judgey on anyone with regards to crating or not crating, as long as what they're doing is working for them. :)

I look at the crate as a tool to enhance and facilitate certain training, not as a substitute for it...I won't get all judgey on anyone with regards to crating or not crating, as long as what they're doing is working for them. :)

And this!

I have two crates in the house for my girls. They are open door 24/7. Just a little den for them to hang out in or check themselves out if they need alone time. The only time I crate a dog, is a foster, until they are trusted.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not even know about crates when I got my first dog. Got along dandy! Then I flew home and wanted to take her. So she was dumped in a crate the day of shipping, got stuck in the plane due to bad weather (yes, passengers too) and still (or maybe because) took that crate to be hers. If after doing all the wrong things about crating, she took to it, it wasn't that bad for her.

Now, I have quite a few crates. Between my dogs and the fosters, it mainly cuts down on feeding stress. With one exception being my juvenile boy that loves him some kitty if not contained. But for the most part I don't need the crates. Yet never will I fail to train any to one again.