BC Boards

Dog trainers in RTP area

nancy

I'm ready to admit that, with all the books the library can offer, I'm not doing well trying to train 10-month-old Dixie, who we've had for 3 months. So I need to find some classes near Research Triangle Park in North Carolina.

OK, I admit that I know of a good place - but I live in southern Durham and it's down in New Hill. I'm sure I'd make it for about 2 classes. Then the drive would get to me, and I'd fall back.

I can find some places listed relatively close to me. But I don't know anything about their reputations other than what they post on their sites. As my grandfather said, "If you don't believe me, ask me." I prefer recommendations from people I trust. As in you folks.

My vet's office was able to tell me only about the place in New Hill. I'm taking Dixie over for her microchip this afternoon and will see if anyone there has any more information.

I don't think Erin gets on here much, if at all, anymore Paula, though you can easily find her on Facebook.

Nancy, Barbara Schumannfang is in Durham. I will PM you her phone number. You'll probably have to leave a message. She has a young border collie that she got from Geri Byrne. She's a positive reinforcement trainer, and from what I've seen, she does a good job. If she can't help you, she should be able to recommend someone who can, and she is close. Plus she's just a really interesting person whom you might enjoy getting to know.

If you're on Facebook, you can search Erin James Crook there. I think her name here was Maggie or something similar.

ETA: I PMed you with contact information, and I'm sad to say that according to Barbara's website, she's no longer doing individual training. Still, she should be able to direct you to someone good.

ETA#2: Erin is MaggieDog (I searched it). According to her profile, she was last here in January, so sending her a PM, unless she's got it set to send an e-mail to her home address, might not get to her. Just FYI.

J.

Julie, I just called Barbara and left a message. The site doesn't exactly say she isn't doing training, just that she's got a new project. Maybe it's something that will help us. I sure hope so - she's so close! Thanks.