BC Boards

Im too old to be a daddy again.....

So we adopted Maddie, two years old, and in the chat after it transpired they couldnt be certain if she has been spayed, but they thought so cos she was a bit wide in the girth, then the girl came out with the words i wasnt really ready for...

UNLESS SHES PREGNANT....

Not sure what I think of that rescue. If it were me, I'd have held onto the dog until I was sure whether she was pregnant, then let her have the puppies, and then maybe even helped her raise them and finally adopted out the puppies to more good homes! :huh:

Anyhow, you're a good man to take on this dear girl. I wish her and you luck and love and a joyful home. :) Do keep us posted!

~ Gloria

They had her a week, and she came from another rescue after a week there, she appears fit and healthy, they had originally said she wasnt available for a week, I suppose only a scan would confirm it

we had our last litter of pups 20 years ago (an accident when a dog got out) but the rescue said help was only a phone call away, im not bothered anway, the wife will do the midwifery...lol

So we adopted Maddie, two years old, and in the chat after it transpired they couldnt be certain if she has been spayed, but they thought so cos she was a bit wide in the girth, then the girl came out with the words i wasnt really ready for...

UNLESS SHES PREGNANT....

As she's from Ireland the odds are that she won't have been spayed. Also more Irish rescues seem to be under rather than overweight.

Look at it from the pov that the rescue would most likely have looked for a foster home for her to have her pups if they knew for sure and it's better that she isn't passed from pillar to post. If you are OK with the idea of fostering any pups with the rescue's back up then you are doing a very good thing, especially for Maddie. I hope the back up includes homing the pups.

Pity they didn't have her scanned though, but they'd have to do it with a lot of the bitches they take in and maybe they couldn't afford it. Rescue finances are always a balancing act.

And of course if they'd kept her for a few weeks to see if she is pregnant she'd be taking up a rescue place that other dogs could have had.

As I took Gláma from her previous owner, I got the same message "Well she just miiight be pregnant...". I almost backed out, but went to take a look at her anyway, and liked her so much I took the chance, turned out she wasn´t.

Double luck; she wasn´t pregnant, and turned out to be a great stockdog.

Whatever the outcome I wish you the best with her (or them... ;) )

bathed her today, she had to be trimmed at the rescue due to badly matted fur, shes all fluffy now

one thing i hadnt realised before (well you dont do you)

brown dogs have brown noses...lol

246476_499214433424809_1100723000_n.jpg

Today has been a better day, she isnt 100% house trained but shes had 2 walkies with the other two and no great probs, Glen always gets grumpy near bedtime (a 5 year old grumpy old man) so hes told her off a few times

I spent the night in the spare bedroom as maddie decided my side of the marital bed suited her best

this morning - disaster - maddie pounced on tilley quite nastily, and had hold of her (tilley is quite timid), we think tilley woke maddie by (literally) sticking her nose in, however ive been out working and came back, maddie and tilly are besty mates, and all three came for a treat and sat next to each other

glenn doesnt share toys, food or beds, everyone needs to understand that and all will be well...lol

BTW, im tols Maddie isnt brown, shes officially red

Just to muddy the waters a bit, technically (genetically) it is brown or liver (bb), but folks in the border collie community have always referred to the phenotype as red. (And then there's "Aussie red," which are dogs that are genetically ee, or clear red/yellow). ;)

J.

this morning - disaster - maddie pounced on tilley quite nastily, and had hold of her (tilley is quite timid), we think tilley woke maddie by (literally) sticking her nose in, however ive been out working and came back, maddie and tilly are besty mates, and all three came for a treat and sat next to each other

I wouldn't leave them with access to each other when you aren't there to police them. Maddy is very new and you don't know her yet - plus she has had a scrap with Tilly already and 2 bitches fighting can be very bad news, potentially worse tha dogs fighting. Don't give them the opportunity to repeat it so it becomes a habit. Always best to play it safe with new dogs.

Expect her coat to go darker over the winter.

Pam