BC Boards

Ear Problem

OurBoys

Josie’s right ear has been bothering her. When I took her to the vet, she couldn’t find anything after giving her a very thorough exam (clean ears, no fleas to crawl in there, no swollen glands, etc). The vet then suggested maybe a mosquito gets in her ear every once in a while and to put children’s Off on the tips of her ears. We’ve noticed Josie still shakes her head every once in a while even with the Off on her ear tips. Because of that, DH & I are wondering if she might have some ear fur bothering her. Josie has very, very furry ears. Do you think it could be possible for one of the “hairs” to be tickling the inside of her ear? Or do you think it could be something else? (I’d like to get other’s opinion before putting clippers near her eyes.)

You're right, it does sound weird :) but I'm willing to give it a try. Josie doesn't go around constantly shaking her head (maybe once a day or every other day) so I'm thinking about waiting until next month when I take her in for her annual check up to get her ear "hair" trimmed and so I'll ask them to express her anal glands too. If it starts bothering her more than that, I'll take her in sooner. Thanks!

Cody started shaking his head a lot a few months ago. The vet didn't see anything much in his ears. Maybe a tiny bit of something in one ear. She thought maybe he was extra sensitive to anything bothering him in his ear so she gave me some ear drops. A few days of drops and he was normal again.

• 4 weeks later...

Kim, Thank You! I took Josie in for her annual checkup today. Because she was still shaking her head and scratching at her ear, I asked to the vet to express her anal glands saying “I know this is going to sound crazy but….” The vet tech and the vet both said they’ve heard stranger things. Even though Josie has never scooted across the floor and I’ve never seen her biting/licking her backside, it turned out her anal glands were full! I still don’t know yet if that’s going to help her ear problem but if you hadn’t mentioned it, I have no idea when I would have noticed Josie’s problem. FWIW, the vet even asked me to let her know if expressing Josie’s glands helps with her ears. Again, thank you!

Georgia, If expressing Josie's glands don't work, I'll consider using ear drops after trimming some of the fur in her ear. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Josie's right ear is still bothering her off and on. After discussing it with the vet, I'm going to put off getting the methasone(?) cream (they don't have anti-itch ear drops) and I've got her on allergy pills. The vet suggested 2 Benadryl a day but I hate the way it makes her drowsy so I'm giving her 1 Claritin (not Claritin-D) a day. If that doesn't help, I'll get the cream. Hopefully this is just a seasonal "thing".