BC Boards

"Mom" too distracting at class

Krug

Last night I went to my fourth agility class with my BC Leia. My wife had never been to the class before because she has her own class on Wednesday evening at UW-Madison. I told her if she got done early with her class she should stop by and see how Leia and I are doing. Leia noticed "mom" before I did and went running right over. After that, any time I had Leia "jump" or anything she would run right over to my wife afterwords.

I ended up asking my wife to leave smile.gif Leia went looking for her one more time after that and then got back to work.

My advice is to continue having "mom" show up, and train for that. If you run into this same situation at a trial, it could be real disaster when otherwise you'd be doing great! I know someone who's husband shows up, and others who can just standing on one side of the course or another, and the dog forgets the course and just looks for mom or dad. VERY frustrating! I have a dog who LEAVES the course looking for his other dog-friend. ARGH! Distractions are good training, once you have the basics down. Just leaving won't help in the trial.

Best of luck - this is a tough one!

diane

I agree with Diane! Make sure that your wife totally ignores Leia when she leaves you and you should do everything you can to be more fun, exciting, etc. than your wife (whip a favorite toy out of your pocket, use your best treats...) so she'll want to come back to you. I always try to make sure that my dog knows where I'm standing when my husband handles him in a trial or that the dog knows where he is, if I'm the handler. That way, they don't suddenly notice us and go off course.