BC Boards

the new kids on the block

Last Saturday I went to a small animal swap meet. Just to look. I swear just to look. Didn't even get my money out of the car.

Darn it, then I stumble on to these guys and couldn't resist.

Meet Ike and Tina. They're about 7 weeks old and they're living with the chickens. They are so funny that I laugh almost every time I look at them. And just to set the record straight...These are pets not food for thanksgiving. I don't name what I'm going to eat!

Bourbon Red Turkeys.

Here they are looking in the sliding glass window at 3 dogs looking back. They will work for the dogs but have no fear.

IkeandTina1.jpg

One more cause they're so darn cute!

TinaandIke.jpg

Now to keep myself away from anywhere I might find cute animals I have enough thank you very much!

Paula, my friends have a hen named Kevin :) After the giant bird in "Up", which, if you have not seen, you should. It's hilarious.

This is the first year in quite a while that I don't have turkeys. I love them- so silly & really not bright. They make all sorts of cool noises. Beware that of they're both toms, they may get aggressive towards each other. BR will breed & set naturally, so if you have a pair, you might get more turkeys. Turkey eggs are huge. I don't care for their taste, but I have a friend who eats them.

Working turkeys with dogs is fun. You have to dog-break them. Every. Single. Time!

Nice turkey Darci!

I'm hoping they're a matched set. The guy I bought them from said the were boy and girl but I sure can't tell. Except that one weighs more that the other so hopefully that's a good sign.

I can almost see them growing every time I look at them they're bigger!

They do seem a bit on the dense side but the chickens are letting them hang. Surprises me.

I started out with 4 of them but lost the 2 hens after the first yr. So just had the toms. They were grand farm yard buddies. Followed me around like a dog they did. But b/careful when it storms cause they really arent very bright at all, and will drown them selves inna storm looking up at the rain! :P:blink:

Mine roosted with the chickens too in the hen house and the chickens didnt seem to mind at all, and the 2 toms got along famously as well. Enjoy them, they really are sweet critters. :)

So I really do need to watch out for them in the rain? I kinda thought that was a joke but not really. My old turkey never had an issue till the end.

They already follow me around. I went up to check water last night. The peeps followed me. Then followed me right back down. I love all the noises they make. peep being their favorite noise.

They were very curious about the sheep. Sheep didn't seem to notice!

Watch out for them in the rain because they're not great about taking shelter. Adult turkeys are pretty hardy- mine happily wandered around in the snow- but young ones need some help :) Luckily, the heritage breeds are far smarter than the Broad Breasted varieties. Turkeys can & will fly, and they like to roost up high. One year, mine slept in an old fir tree... Had to put them up in a kennel at night when butchering tine came around. Also, turkey turds are huge and have a way of ending up on your porch, so if your turkletts are free-roaming now, you might want to think about a pen later.

I love turkeys. I miss not having them this year. The Reds are gorgeous when they grow up. (And tasty, if yours turn out to be butt heads. I've only ever had one turkey out of probably 200 that was aggressive to people.)

Why did you have to kennel them when it was time to butcher. Did you butcher your turkeys or were you worried that someone might hunt them down? I don't think I can eat my own turkeys. But if they turn mean I think I'd be changing my mind quickly! ;)

Yes...turkey turds even from young turks are bigger than chicken poo.

I am trying not to encourage them up on the porch but one saving grace is.....the dogs love turkey turds and chicken poo so I don't see much laying around.

Does make a mess of dog poo but other than that I don't worry to much!

Did you worry about predators when they were roosting in trees or in my case I have a feeling they're going to roost in the top of the barn rafters where some of the chickens have decided to roost. I worry about raccoons still being able to get to them but I sure can't reach them.

I've seen them all freeze when they hear a hawk and the turks followed suit. I try and keep Mick laying around on the deck which is close to the barn to maybe ward off the flying predators during the day. Night time they're still getting locked up cept the chickens that are roosting in the rafters.

I will be watching them in the rain. I to think these guys are smarter than the big breasted domesticated thanksgiving birds. Can't wait to see all that beautiful color!

Did you ever trim the red turkey's wings to keep them from flying? I can't figure out why someone would do that. Why not let them fly as long as they know where home is.

I've heard all kinds of tales about just how stupid domestic broad breasted turkeys are. Supposedly the white ones are pretty much to dumb to live.

A friend of mine had a black 40 lbs watch tom. We always called before coming over.

Wow. Did he have a hormone issue or just meaness? I had a really mean rooster once but the size difference made him managable.

Guess you weren't kidding. If either of my turkeys turn out like they will be dinner quickly.

He was the flock leader and wouldn't let people near his girls, never mind that his girls knew that people are THE source for good food. He was like a feathered cannon ball hitting you in the knees.

I've heard all kinds of tales about just how stupid domestic broad breasted turkeys are. Supposedly the white ones are pretty much to dumb to live.

A friend of mine had a black 40 lbs watch tom. We always called before coming over.

Eeeek! A turkey bigger than my dog! We have wild turkeys that live in my town that are pretty used to people (they like to roost in a tree over someone's car).

I must admit that when he knocked me down, my friend finally caught him and put him away, but it probably took me ten minutes to get back up because I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my breath or stand. We laughed hysterically for years after that.