BC Boards

I think I'm crazy

I've raised a few sets of littermates and would not do so willingly again. Two pups of the same or similar age are 10x the work of one pup. Each one requires individual training and socialization. Making sure they get one on one time so that they bond well with people and not as much with each other is critical. Others may have had different experiences raising multiple pups.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things -

Poor Coby has a majorly kinked tail. The girl I got him from said his tail was broken before she bought him from the breeder (tail closed in a door accidentally) and not taken care of, so it's permanently kinked. Sad!

Also, wondering if anybody has seen a dog who lays like this:

post-13437-063703000 1347379250_thumb.jpg

Once in a while I saw it in Juno when she was a small pup, but Coby lays like this almost every single time - whether relaxing on his own or when I've asked for a Down. It worries me and I wonder if his hips have issues.

And, here is the cutie pie, an example of how his tiny crooked blaze makes his face look a little funny/off-centre:

post-13437-058873600 1347379370_thumb.jpg

More photos over in this thread.

My oldest son (age 6) is totally in love with Coby. He's declared that Coby is HIS and that he will do agility with him when he gets bigger :D

Once in a while I saw it in Juno when she was a small pup, but Coby lays like this almost every single time - whether relaxing on his own or when I've asked for a Down. It worries me and I wonder if his hips have issues.

I have seen adult dogs lay like that sometimes. They were several different types of breeds.

How is his gait when walking, jogging and running?

I guess the only way to really know for sure is to get Xrays.

I am wondering if strengthening the his rear-end muscles would help. It sure can't hurt.

Jovi

Devon will lay like that once and while... and he is an adult dog.

I second Jovi's remarks about watching his gait and/or having him checked out if you are really concerned.

My 7 year old Pit Bull lays down just like that most of the time- and he has since he was a puppy. He's never shown signs of any type of hip problem. I kept a Beagle pup for awhile to get her started on manners/obedience before giving her to my sisters as a gift, she did the same thing and the pit was her buddy! I'm not sure if she did it from observation or what, but she still does it even today.

Also, my grandparent's miniature poodle lays that way as well.

Thanks to all for the reassurances about Coby's hips. My son calls that posture "froggy legs". I've been watching Coby carefully and I don't see anything unusual about his gait. When my dogs are a bit older I will have both of their hips checked.

Coby is learning VERY fast. Took all of five minutes to start responding to a recall (when I brought him home, he barely responded to his name). He loves the clicker and figured it out in less than two minutes - I do something, she clicks, I get a treat! And now he's throwing out sits and downs like nobody's business.

Juno's a little jealous. She has peed on the floor several times today and wants to snuggle way more than usual. I've given her plenty of one-on-one time and don't pay much attention to the "needy" behaviour, and by the time our evening walk rolled around, she seemed much more relaxed.

I'm pretty pleased with our first day!

Also, my heart squeezes every time I look at his poor kinked tail :( I wonder how long it will take me to be desensitised to it? I get the most awful mental image of a little pup yelping as his tail is broken (in two places) by a door shutting on it. Eeeeeee..... really irks me that it wasn't properly taken care of :(

Oh, he's a darling! The new photos just melt me. :)

For myself, I wouldn't worry about him lying like a frog unless you start to notice other oddities about his hindquarters. We had a big Aussie/BC cross bitch who laid like that most of her life - and she was sound as a nut. Our old corgi-mix would also lay that way, and his hips were fine: he could dance on two legs like a human, if treats were involved! :P It seems to be a very common pose with Australian shepherds, too.

So, I'd say just watch his movements and if anything looks off, get him a set of x-rays later on, after he's matured some more.

Bless you for taking the little guy into your home and life!

~ Gloria

RIpley likes to lay like a frog. Not all the time, but often, usually when he is chewing a bone or sometimes while napping. I worried at first but had him x-rayed and his hips looked fine. I also get him routinely checked/worked on by a physical therapist and a chiropractor because I want to keep him sound for agility. I call him rubber band man because he is so flexible. He's an amazing athlete and (thankfully) stays very sound. He does have an overall good structure but I think his flexibility is a good thing.

He's very cute! Good luck with him!

:) Troy lays like that. We also refer to it as frog legs. He does it when he intent on what he is doing aka chewing a bone or squeaking a toy. Although the best way to squeak a toy is on ones back and batting the loose end of the toy with your paws. ;-) such a silly boy my Troy boy.

This morning we were out for our daily nature walk. Coby and Juno were racing back and forth along the trail. When Coby got tired, he flopped down as in the photo. My son gave a little happy sigh and said, "Oh, mama, I love his little froggy legs!" He was so sincere and it was incredibly cute.

I had been told, over and over (over the years) by dog people, breeders and vet techs that a dog that lays like that (frog legs) usually has good hips. Those dogs who did lay like that (that I knew personally) did OFA good/excellent...so maybe it's true.

I had been told, over and over (over the years) by dog people, breeders and vet techs that a dog that lays like that (frog legs) usually has good hips. Those dogs who did lay like that (that I knew personally) did OFA good/excellent...so maybe it's true.

Hmmm...I have heard the exact opposite: a dog who lays like that has bad hips :blink:

No idea whether it's true but it's what people say over here too.

My collie mix has done it most of his life, although more or less stopped when he hit 10 and my JR does it too. Neither has had any hip problems. Our BC sometimes stretches out like that but doesn't stay in that position. His hips seem fine too.

• 4 months later...

Thank you to a member here for pointing out this post.

I also have a Dennis Nutt dog. He is everything we could ask for in a collie (he will be 3 next month) I emailed him when we first got him and he replied and I sent pictures and everything. But after that he never replied to me again.

Ruger is an exceptional worker, has wonderful drive and is very willing to please. He is also very intelligent (as this breed should be) I got to see both parents also at the family home (near the Indian reserve) After buying him I saw more ad's for puppies up and I asked about that..... he has (had at this time) 11 dogs. I haven't seen any posts for puppies from him for quite some time I kijiji search sometimes just to see what I can find.

BUT Ruger has developed fatty deposits on his eyes..... if you look in the "photos" section on this forum you will see photos of Ruger. I was looking at your one boy and he does resemble Ruger when he was smaller also. :) Ruger has no allergies so far seasonal nor food.

Hope to hear back from you!