BC Boards

Planning for the Future

Well, I've pretty much given up on trying to find a agility trainer or even club with a practice field in my area. So I've starting planning out what I eventually want to do with my BC pup that I have dreams of competing in agility with in the future.

I competed in agility with my last BC. I trained with Lynne Wetherell in Jacksonville, FL, and again with a club in Decatur, AL. I've always done well with obedience on my own and have taught basic obedience classes for others in the past. I frequently help others with behavioral problems using positive reinforcement techniques.

Right now I'm doing flatwork, games, etc. with Athena. I'm saving and planning on buying equipment one piece at a time from affordableagility.com. My fiance may be building some of the equipment since he's pretty handy. My yard is not exactly large, so I may have to have smaller contacts and hope it won't be a big problem.

I'm also investing in LOTS of agility books/DVDs from clean run. And hopefully getting advice from all you wonderful people on this forum :). Also, within 2 hours of me are clubs that occasionally host seminars. There's lots of places within 2 hours that host trials, but they're not exactly close enough for weekly classes with gas prices the way they are. I figured I would just put the money I'd spend on classes towards books and equipment.

So, will my plan (maybe) work? I'm hoping to be pretty competitive and make use of Athena's wonderful talent. She's bursting with agility potential and I want to make full use of it.

Thanks in advance :)

Since you have done agility before, you ought to be able to pull it off, but I would also recommend using the online courses where you can send in video of you and your dog. You can pick and choose which ones you believe will help you the most.

I think that a second pair of eyes is extremely valuable. This is one of the reasons why I keep attending agility class - so the instructor can stand back and see where I am in error and where I can improve. I can not always critique myself. (I also need the 'kick in the butt' to get out and run sequences. I am pretty good at setting up a couple of obstacles and working on them, but the class affords the 18-20 obstacle sequences that emulate a trial scenario.)

Jovi

In addition to your regular stuff at home, can you do an occasional private lesson with someone? Even if it's too far to drive weekly, a monthly private lesson will be beneficial and give you things to work on at home.

I second the private lesson; I am in a similar boat, there is plenty of good instructors 1.5+ hours away, but I can't afford to do that too often. Late last spring I began taking privates from two different people, I rotate back and forth, it's been great. And I now actually have someone else local joining me for a semi-private to share gas and lesson costs, which I'm hoping will allow for us to get there ever 4 weeks instead of me alone every 6 weeks.

I tried taking one online class, and was not overly impressed, but that could have been the organization of the class; I have heard of people who have had better experiences!

It can work. I train on my own for Musical Freestyle. It has it's challenges. There are times when I would benefit from the structure of classes where I am working toward specific goals for each week.

Sometimes I have to get creative. I have taken advantage of DVD's (not as many, though, as there are for Agility!), and online classes, which have been especially helpful, although expensive.

Once a year I do a private lesson with an excellent instructor who really helps me take my work to a new level every time we get together. That's it - once a year! She lives across the country! But it is enough to keep things going from year to year!

I make it work because I don't have any other options.

The big difference, of course, is the equipment required to train Agility. But if you are able to get pieces for yourself, that might not be so much of an issue.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

I had no idea there were online classes for agility... I'm looking around for them now. That's the biggest thing I was wishing I had- a second pair of eyes. Also, didn't think about occasionally having private lessons. I would definitely be able to swing that.

What about obstacles though? Has anyone bought equipment from affordableagility.com? Will having to have a smaller-than-regulation sized dogwalk and A-frame inhibit being able to be competitive? Also, my yard will not be a USDAA sized field...maybe more AKC sized. Closer turns, not as much running... I would still be able to keep her in shape though. We go to a park/dog park where she can really run.

What about obstacles though? Has anyone bought equipment from affordableagility.com? Will having to have a smaller-than-regulation sized dogwalk and A-frame inhibit being able to be competitive? Also, my yard will not be a USDAA sized field...maybe more AKC sized. Closer turns, not as much running... I would still be able to keep her in shape though. We go to a park/dog park where she can really run.

Do you plan to do stopped or running contacts? I believe for stopped, transferring to bigger equipment will be OK. I teach my dogs teeter on my practice teeter, which is smaller than regulation, so the tip point is closer, and they translate the behavior to the regular sized teeter without a problem.

It could be an issue with running contacts, especially for the A-Frame. I think it depends on the method you use to train it.

But if you toggle enough between your smaller pieces and regular ones, it might not be problematic.

I agree that if you are using stopped contacts, you can train on smaller obstacles, and the behavior should transfer fairly easily to regulation-sized equipment. If you can get on regulation-sized equipment every once in a while, your dog should become familiarized fairly quickly.

Jovi

I'm getting started in agility myself. Check your local library for books and DVDs. I like "Switching Sides-Making the Transition from Obedience to Agility" by Kay Guetzloff. She has included a range of exercises from very simple foundations to more advanced.

As you gain some skill you might want to look for Australian Shepard Club (ASCA) trial in your area. The entry fees are cheaper than other venues and you can train in the ring, though you will not Q at that point.

You also have to register with ASCA, but the fee are very reasonable.

Hope that helps.

I have just signed up for Daisy Peels handling course as a worker, so will be able to let everyone know what it is like in a few weeks.

Channel weaves can be a problem if the poles do not remain static, I trained on 2x2s but at a place we occasionally do run thrus their channel weaves which they use as regular weaves move and due to the speed and size of my dog he shifts them and he is really off put by this, so now we just skip. This is not an issue early on in your training but just something to consider when you are deciding what to buy.

I also did all my own foundation work at home, as there was no where local that uses current ideas, my main reason for going to class is not to train my dogs, all of the detailed training jumping into heel, learning about crosses, always coming to my hand have been done at home, I go to class for ME, to get to where I want to go in agility I need to improve hugely so classes are for just for me. I have also taken privates from a trainer who only teaches in the summer, we make an outing of it, and she has really helped. I have been going to a regular "lesson" really just for run thrus, but I am going to cut that out and now just occasionally rent a ring so we can practice whole courses.

I highly recommend Agility Right From The Start for foundation work, it really gave Rievs and I a great base.

I highly reccomend www.bowwowflix.com it's a dog training DVD rental company, kind of like net flix and under $18 a month for two DVDs at a time, if you have a dvd burner you can copy them to watch as much as you want. I can rent 4+ DVDs a month for a third of the price of one DVD I'm not sure I will even like. They have every agility DVD I've ever wanted and get all the new releases regularly. Great way to preview new training methods without feeling like you have to use them on your dog since you paid a small fortune for the DVD lol.

Wow! So many things I didn't know about, thank you so much!!

Never looked into the ASCA before, going to do that.

@brndlbc- thanks for the link! I can build that! :)

@alligande- I'm actually reading "Agility Right From the Start" right now- I think it's great!

@Trulyready- Thanks, that will save me so much money! Also, I think our dogs must be related... your dog looks EXACTLY like my Arrow..and you're in my hometown!