BC Boards

The Dog in "Cowboys and Aliens"

From Production Notes:

"Ringer's other co-star is a dusty dog without a name. The scruffy mutt arrives in Absolution with Jake, but over the course of the story he becomes Emmett's loyal friend and protector. The dog was played by two Australian shepherds named DART and ARROW, both skillfully trained by handler EADIE MCMULLEN."

From this website:

My link

From Production Notes:

"Ringer's other co-star is a dusty dog without a name. The scruffy mutt arrives in Absolution with Jake, but over the course of the story he becomes Emmett's loyal friend and protector. The dog was played by two Australian shepherds named DART and ARROW, both skillfully trained by handler EADIE MCMULLEN."

From this website:

My link

I don't know if the dog is a Border Collie or an Australian Shepherd, but my guess is that it is highly likely that the PR movie people do not understand the difference. They may not have checked their facts very well.

Jovi

OK, I admit to being a total nerd and watching the movie. The dog in question moved like a Border Collie, not like an Aussie. It also had a tail, which doesn't prove it is not an Aussie, but I would bet the dog used for most of the scenes was a BC.

Border collies and Aussies look so much alike and have so many different looks for each breed that it really is tough to figure it out

The point Liz made is that in watching the dog move (work) it is easier to determine what it might be (Border Collie versus Aussie) than just seeing the dog's appearance. In general, Border Collies work in a manner that is fairly distinctive from the average Aussie. So, while there is overlap, it's how the dog works that is the best clue.

Border collies and Aussies look so much alike and have so many different looks for each breed that it really is tough to figure it out

I didn't see the movie but saw a clip and the dog definitely appears to move like a Border Collie and not like any Aussie I have seen. The way the two breeds move is very different. Just looking at the dog laying down, the way his eyes look and the way his head hung looked just like a BC.

Following from a facebook page of Kelly Ryan, an actress, who seems to have a relationship with Dart and his brother Arrow, who she says are: (drumroll, please)

Border Collies!

"Photo from the set of 'Smokey' starring Caitlin Thompson (recurring on '90210'), Dart (a border collie who appeared in 'Cowboys and Aliens' and 'Water For Elephants'), his brother Arrow and myself. The film is directed by Iris Ichishita and produced by Rob Fried ('Collateral', 'The Boondock Saints' and 'Godzilla'). A terrific shoot, excellent cast and crew and we survived the sweltering summer heat in the Placerita Canyon!"

post-9048-086397700 1346805786_thumb.jpg