BC Boards

Car!!!!!!

Jade

I've got a wee boy who used to be a right s##t on the back of my flat-deck ute, he used to bark and snap at bikes, trucks, other dogs, motorbikes, cars with rotary motors ..... pretty much most things. I tried all sorts of things, but nothing worked for very long - until, I discovered a rather clever gadgit that looks rather like a auto garage door opener. it is run on a AA size battery and when you press the button it gives off a sound that only our four legged friends can hear. It doesn't hurt them but my God it gave my lad a start when I first tried it! He was jumping around under our maples going mental at the birds(as you do!) not taking the slightest notice of me yelling and screaming at him to "No-Bark" but I swear that when I pressed the 'zapper' he jumped so high I thought he had grown wings! Needless to say he is not too keen on it and it didn't take long for him to figure out what it was that he was doing that caused it - now he is not perfect, he has lapses in memory, but it only takes one reminder and he is sweet-as for another couple of months.

good luck

Sid's Mum-

Is this a collar or is it something else Where did you get yours from?? I have one BC who thinks that it's her mission in this world to bark like a maniac.

Kathy

I'm guessing Sid's mom's unit is simply an ultra-sonic noisemaker - noise that you're not supposed to be able to hear (but some of us can!), but that assaults dogs' ears. My problem is that only one of the three in the truck carry on - so it doesn't seem fair to "punish" the others. Another trick is a little pen-sized unit of breath spray - one brand is Binaca. My "whiner" (not really a barker, just irritating noise, and it does stop after a few miles) hates the "pssst!" noise as much as the gag-able mint smell (actually, I can't stand that very much myself!). The trick with this is that dog almost has to be in seat beside you - you don't want to hit their eyes with the spray, so aim is critical. Like with the noise-emitting unit, it stops the dog for awhile.

Ya almost need a second person to deal with this. Plus I'd be skeptical that a dog that has barked in cars for 12 years will be easily stopped. Perhaps you have only recently acquired her? If not, this might take awhile to cure. Best of luck.

diane