BC Boards

Supply and Demand

mtnfrank

Nothing new but illustrative of why BYB/Puppy mills thrive and why rescues are overflowing.

a few days ago my sister sees her neighbour walking a young BC pup, just over 2months old, and engages conversation.

"Is that a Border Collie"

"Yes, it is" says the proud Lady

"My brother is looking to get one from rescue"

"Why would anyone turn them in rescue, my pup is so great???" said the lady puzzled

"Because they are very smart and energetic dogs requiring a lot of time everyday"

"Oh, I just walk my pup 20min in the morning and evening, I don't have much more time than that with young kids at home"

My sister a little taken aback, "So where did you get your pup?"

"Oh, I went to buy fish food at the pet shop and that cute puppy was there, so I bought it. I wasn't planning to buy a dog, I never had one, but he was so cute."

I've asked my sister to keep an eye on that pup...

You know, I hate when people use their kids as an excuse for not giving time to their dogs. My children are ages 5mos, 2yrs, 4yrs and 5yrs, and if anything, the dogs are MORE active with the kids around. They get daily outings to the park, we go on nature walks, the kids will throw balls for them endlessly, the kids will engage in water play with them, etc. If it was just me and the dogs, the pooches would have a much duller and less active life, for sure.

Back on topic... I cringe when I meet pet store puppies, but usually they are the toy breeds. I can't imagine that a pet store BC purchase with no planning or breed knowledge could work out very well. Poor pup.

How true with the lack of education and impulse buys. There was a good looking red BC in our store shopping with his owners. The pup was about four months old. The woman sees Fargo laying behind me, and loudly proclaims her dog better not have a coat like his, as that is what the clerk at the puppy store had told her. If that red dog was a smooth coat, Fargo is a Boston terrier. I giggled (can't blow up at the woman the way I really wanted to), and agreed with her, her pup would not have a coat like Fargo's, but a much thicker and longer coat!! She was furious, as clearly, how would I know? Next time I saw this pup he was eight months old, and shaved down to the skin :angry:. A couple months later, the couple was in with a Jack Russell. I asked where the border collie was, they had sent him to a local rescue, as he was too wild and hairy. :angry: I really hope that Jack Russell tears their house apart, before it occurs to them what kind of energy he's going to have :D I attached a picture of my Boston :)

post-13075-093730700 1346350318_thumb.jpg

A couple months later, the couple was in with a Jack Russell. I asked where the border collie was, they had sent him to a local rescue, as he was too wild and hairy. :angry: I really hope that Jack Russell tears their house apart, before it occurs to them what kind of energy he's going to have :D I attached a picture of my Boston :)

Yea...and Jack Russell's are couch potatoes! How do people not know basic information about the breeds they are purchasing? I am floored when people say "I didn't know Dobermans were normally barky dogs" or "I didn't think my lab would be so active". Between the internet and books, all the knowledge you ever need on these things is readily available. No excuse.