BC Boards

Sheepdoggers and Sportdoggers

airbear

My tent has been peed on enough at trials that I'm thinking of surrounding my camp with a piece of (not-hot) Electronet.

As an owner of a dog who gets in other dog's faces, then snarls at them for being in his space, I resort to either a leash or a crate in the truck for the little ass.

Elizabeth, I imagine we've been at the same trial more than once & probably have a similar list of repeat offenders...

Kristi, is the duct tape for devorating the HKSS, or to fix the "Alta- Pete"? :) For the record, it is very difficult to lose a pink stock stick in the pasture. Which is why I have one.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the original post and other observations I've read on these boards, dogs mounting others, whizzing on equipment., lunging from under trucks, snarking at other dogs, and running onto the trial field kind of makes me rethink the idea that dogs are better behaved at trials than they are at other venues ...

I guess the point that I was trying to make is that each venue has things that annoy me, and things that impress me. Further, what bugs me (ex. dog peeing on my chair) might not bother someone else. The barking that occurs when a dog is running agility doesn't bother me in the least (indoors or outdoors) but I'm sure others can't stand it, and fair enough.

I was surprised when I first read this, because I was at Kingston and my impression was that most competing dogs were off leash. But I assume Kristi must be right, since she was paying attention to leash status and I was not. I don't think my dog was ever on leash, which I suppose might have affected my perceptions.

I was surprised too. I also should clarify, I was referring to dogs hanging out in and around the handler's tent. Certainly, I saw no dogs going to the post on leash. But as someone who spent upwards of 10 hours a day under the tent, I had a lot of time to perform this detailed and highly scientific analysis. smile.gif

Kristi, is the duct tape for devorating the HKSS, or to fix the "Alta- Pete"? :) For the record, it is very difficult to lose a pink stock stick in the pasture. Which is why I have one.

The Duck Brand duct tape reference is for the decoration of the HKSS. What's going on with the Al a Pete logo seems to be a failure of vinyl lettering. Lora sent me the HK, zebra, and leopard print rolls, and I've been finding myriad uses for them, including, but not limited to:

• Wrapping packages going overseas
  • Affixing LIVE ANIMAL signs to dog crates
  • Decorating weave poles
  • Fixing small tear in tunnel bag
  • Securing a slightly wonky shade tent leg
  • Temporary hem on a pair of jeans

My primary complaint at sheepdog trials are the male dogs that insist on peeing on my car/tent/equipment and trying to breed my bitches. One male dog even tried to pee on me while I was watching the trial. My next complaint would be the loose dogs that just don't listen and get in my reactive dog's face. If you are constantly nagging at your dog to stay with you and not mark or pester other dogs, put it on a leash!

I have had dogs attacked by other dogs that come flying out from under trucks/RVs. One time my dog was attacked and I chased the offending dog back to a car. The woman who owned the car insisted it wasn't her dog and had no idea who it belonged to, but I saw her with the dog the whole rest of the weekend and she drove home with it on Monday. I saw that same dog at future trials lurking under vehicles and attacking dogs that strayed too close.

I think for the most part people try to be courteous, but some just aren't.

I think for the most part people try to be courteous, but some just aren't.

True statement. Like Ben, I've had so many rude handlers let their dogs pee on my tent that I've also been tempted to just fence it off. That said, if you're going to let your dogs runs around I think it's encummbent on you (general you) to *pay attention* to what they are doing. If your dog pees on your stuff (and I'm not worried about stuff like tires), that's your business, but if your dog is loose on peeing on other people's tents, coolers, chairs, etc., then you are being plain rude.

J.

The majority of people I see at sheepdog trials are pretty polite, although few seem ever to pay attention to and pick up after a dog that poops in a traffic zone - like camper zone or where people congregate near the field. But since most gather up their dogs and make sure to walk them in "approved" places (long grass, designated walk areas, etc.), that's a fairly minor occurence - except when you get one of the good old boys who just opens the camper door, sends out the dogs to do their thing wherever and whatever in the camper area, and half an hour later starts shouting for whichever dogs didn't wander back to the camper on their own - after doing their peeing on other folks' chairs and tents and campers, and pooping by other folks' campers or in places we all have to walk. Those very few folks are certainly not on my "like" list, and I cringe if and when I see one is my neighbor.

Again, that's the rarity (in my experience) and not the rule nowadays.

Sorry to hijack the thread but the mention of tents has me wondering, are they very common at sheepdog trials, and is it acceptable for a spectator to put up a tent for a two day trial?.

Sorry to hijack the thread but the mention of tents has me wondering, are they very common at sheepdog trials, and is it acceptable for a spectator to put up a tent for a two day trial?.

LOL, hijack? This thread is 90% comprised of conversations around baling/binder twine!

LOL, yup. At the last trial I was relaxing by my tent and another handler pulled in, leaned out her window and said to me, "Well, I guess this is where the poor people are camping. Is the ground here dry enough?" :rolleyes: We did end up with a little tent city near the port-a-potty. I could probably buy an RV trailer if I wanted to, but then I wouldn't have money left over for entry fees and travel. That would really defeat the purpose of buying the RV in the first place.

Those of us who sleep in tents do fear the loose males who think it is their purpose in life to urinate on every vertical surface. Sleeping in a tent that stinks of urine would not be pleasant.

I've tented both as a handler and a spectator. Check with the trial host, but generally offering to help out at the trial is a good way to get an "okay" (and a good way to meet people.)

I have a confession: at Lacamas two years ago, my snarly dog got away from me when I got distracted. He disappeared, wouldn't come when called, etc. I found him rather comfortably hanging out with one Mr Patrick Shannahan. I thought very hard about just leaving Hoot there & asking for him back next year...

I think at Kingston, because it is such a public venue, many more dogs were on leash than normal. During the first couple of days without the public more dogs were off leash and as there were more public came more dogs went on lead.

The peeing on stuff is worse at stock dog trials than other venues I think. We leave more dogs off leash, we have many intact dogs, there are intact bitches in heat. My worst dog is a 10 y.o. mini schnauzer. I leash him and rush him immediately to an appropriate peeing area because if I just let him loose (which i would rather do), he will pee on any available vertical surface. My responsibility to supervise. Alternately, I feel free to yell at a dog, or physically intimidate that is peeing on my stuff.

I don't think there is that much snarking or lunging from under campers. Most people will crate a dog that is not appropriately well behaved while tied up. I had someone tell me my dog was being poorly mannered while tied to my RV. I was embarassed, went back to the camper and find out one of my friends had tied her dog at the back of the camper. I put him in a crate and found the friend to let her know what I've done with him.

Cynthia

When my kids were little, and had toys on the ground, dogs would come into my camp to pee on their toys :(

I can see toys left out, but dogs in others camp is the worst kind of rude. I ended up leaving my Kell dog out when we were around the trailer. No dog enters when Kell is on on duty.

I still have a vivid memory of a young intact male that i watched walking into all camp sites to pee on chairs and such. He bee bopped into our camp only to have Kell meet him. The dog never missed a step as he said" ohh excuse me sir" did a 180...and got the hell outa dodge.

When my kids were little, and had toys on the ground, dogs would come into my camp to pee on their toys :(

I can see toys left out, but dogs in others camp is the worst kind of rude. I ended up leaving my Kell dog out when we were around the trailer. No dog enters when Kell is on on duty.

I still have a vivid memory of a young intact male that i watched walking into all camp sites to pee on chairs and such. He bee bopped into our camp only to have Kell meet him. The dog never missed a step as he said" ohh excuse me sir" did a 180...and got the hell outa dodge.

Good dog, Kell!!

Okay, guys, it was a joke - the OP is known for being so conservative in her own and her own dogs' attire (both as a sportdogger and a sheepdogger) that she must have been exercising her very dry wit.

That said, I've seen some trial dogs wearing their "trial finery" which they would likely never wear at home - usually a hand-beaded custom collar, that was perhaps won at a sheepdog trial. And handlers are usually in ball cap, jeans, and a tee or casual shirt (often plaid) unless they make a double-lift final - then some wear a cap or western hat, maybe a tie, and possibly even a sportjacket and chinos, and the lady handlers often wear a jacket or nice vest over a western shirt and, of course, a nice hat - which shows a lot of respect and class, in my opinion.

One of my favorite photos is Kathy Knox, maybe 2005, when she was Reserve National Champion with her dog - wearing a split skirt and looking like western style and class, all rolled in one. You know, doing what the male handlers did but dressed like a lady...

I have to laugh at the baling twine discussion. As a farm kid, we used that, WD-40, duct tape, and "southern engineering" to keep everything running. Heck, baling twine is what's keeping my hay rack together right now. Baling wire, on the other hand, I dreaded even more than barbed wire. It was under so much tension it would snap back like a whip and cut your hands, arms, face, any skin exposed. I still have scars. You couldn't pay me to take hay baled with wire now.

Yep I think baling twine should be sold right next to duct tape! It's holding up 2 gates here as I type. Guess instead of typing I should go fix my gates! ;)

I have one of those Kell dogs too. Other dogs see him and decide they really didn't have to go pee there anyways. But he is also known for his peeing on Jack Knox. Never peed on anyone else that I know of. Jack smiled and said he had class and that was why he was the choosen one. I died of embarassment right there in the field!