BC Boards

The Rise of the Designer Dogs

"A dog's value lies in how it fits in the life it is expected to lead."

Absolutely

As far as people paying large sums of money for designer dogs and beyond "what the market will bear", all of my dogs were worth far more to me than what I actually paid for them so in the end, while I may question the amount that someone shells out for a "designer dog", if they have with their dogs what I feel I have had with mine then who am I to say anything about it.....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny this thread was posted while I was on vacation.

Keeva and I just spent a week on the Outer Banks. Anyone who has been there knows it is so laid back.

The beaches were full of dogs. Everyone seemed to be parading their dogs like trophy's. Even wearing sweaters and rain poncho's. Oh Please.

Keeva and I spent most time at Pea Island (very private area). But one morning very early I had her out on the beach without her leash and this women came by with a Labradoodle(so sad) to talk. Not my thing but hey. She actually said to me "I bet a border collie/poodle mix would make a beautiful dog." I almost didn't think I heard her right. I said I thought that idea was unnatural. She then asked if I had something against poddles and I said Yes, Yes I do.

Conversation ended right then and there.

Thank God.

She must have inherited the good qualities of both breeds! The BC/Lab mix that I knew was a crazy spaz. Sweet dog, but crazy busy, tons of energy and barky as all get out. Reminded of the Tasmanian Devil :blink: And she was owned by a very competent dog person so I shudder to think of what she'd have been like in a different home!!

Which just goes to show another reason why the marketing ploys behind designer dogs (and labra/golden/doodles in particular) are ridiculous. Breeders of mixes like to say that the pups will be the best of both breeds -- how can they guarantee they won't be the WORST of both breeds? Both in health and temperament?

I know I will be flamed and I am ok with that. I do not breed and never will. I do own a rescue cattledog that came with baggage. I own a toy poodle as well. Then there is my border collie. She is a dog with baggage as well but it is more genetic than anything. I don't know if I could ever own another purebed border collie. That is my choice... but then again I may some day.

Since I own "designer breeds" bred for flyball, I am ok with the concept of a designer breed if they were bred for a real purpose. Some may consider flyball not a real purpose but truthfully I love a borderjack. I now own 2 and both were bred as performance mix breeds. You can see them both in my signature pic.

I do think the designer breeds are out of control though and think if they are going to be bred the same requirements need to be used for breeding purebreds - health testing, temperament testing, etc...

I know many are against the designer breed and I understand it. I won't question folks on their points of view on the subject or many others.

People will do what they want no matter what anyone else says. I just hope that if the trend continues that

people are smart about it.

Kim, if my first Border Collie was my problem dog, I would never want another either. I understand and respect that you haven't had a good experience with yours. I feel blessed to have owned many wonderful Border Collies and hope to always have at least one. My first Border Collie saved my life, my sister's life and kept me safe many times. He was my guardian angel; like a real life Lassie, only better.

I've always wanted a GSD, but I am so terrified of getting a "bad" one that I just won't do it. I've seen far too many with serious aggression issues that threaten the safety of other dogs and people. It would break my heart to have to euthanize my own dog for behavioral problems.

I am not against designer breeds, but I am against the blatant lies about them that breeders tell to puppy buyers.

I owned a poodle cross once. Never again. I hated all the grooming!

I know I will be flamed and I am ok with that.

Since I own "designer breeds" bred for flyball, I am ok with the concept of a designer breed if they were bred for a real purpose. Some may consider flyball not a real purpose but truthfully I love a borderjack. I now own 2 and both were bred as performance mix breeds. You can see them both in my signature pic.

Kim- you clearly love and care for all your dogs and that's what matters. Besides, who are we to judge you for your choice of canine companions? I am assuming that one of your border jacks is the rightmost one; where is the other one in your signature pic?

No flaming from me, Kim. I've actually done some thinking about this, and although I'm a rescue person, and I wish everyone would rescue more, I know it's not for everyone. And I guess I'd rather see a sport mix breeding, done responsibly and with homes lined up for all puppies, than I would see someone buy a purebred from a sport kennel that I don't think is responsible at all (high volume), or some crappy BYB. I do think it's silly and annoying when people think their mixed breed dog is actually a particular breed, as is "puggle". I don't see that from the sport people. They call 'em what they are, at least.

BTW, your new puppy is adorable, and I know someone who has a littermate. I so enjoy the pictures on FB, cute! :)

"I do think it's silly and annoying when people think their mixed breed dog is actually a particular breed, as is "puggle"

It would seem that if you get a group of dedicated and motivated people to work together and they have no wall of resistance, they can make things happen. Taken from the history of The Mi-Ki Club

http://www.rarebreedmi-kidogs.com/3.html

"INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION - The Mi-Ki Club of America receives International Recognition- Donna Hall submits an extensive history of the breed to Germany. Through the help of a German liason, the Mi-Ki Club of America and it's official breed standard receives recognition. This recognition is exclusive to The Mi-Ki Club of America, and it's current members. No other club or registry had been extended this privlege. The UCI-RVD. This exclusive recognition allows our breeders to show their dogs through out the world."

If I am reading this correctly, the Mi-Ki is now a recognized breed in Germany. Now that the door appears to be opening, how long will it be before other designer breeds are granted official breed status and is seeking recognition abroad a way to help secure recognition here in the states? Time will tell I guess.

In theory I don't like the idea of designer dogs. I think it's mostly because people who breed them often do so with little regard for the dog and people who buy them don't do their research and are suckered into the hype. They're being bred with nothing in mind except the cutesie name and $$ signs in mind. And with the huge pet overpopulation issues that bothers me.

For me it boils down to the fact that I want people who breed dogs to breed them with a purpose in mind and to take into great consideration the future health and welfare of those pups.

So in the end, I'd rather see a mixed breed litter that careful planning went into then a mediocre purebred litter. And if you're going to breed for a sport, I'd rather see a sport bred mix breed litter then sport bred Border Collie litter.

I am firmly against "designer breeds". I've seen firsthand how terrible their breeding can be, all the lies associated with them, how uncaring the breeders can be, and as a grooming assistant, how thanks to the people who often times buy designer breeds how terrible they can be. Mind you all dogs can be badly behaved of course and it all depends on the owner, but I see a lot more people who bring in backyard bred dogs that will not behave at all for groomings for their whole lives than I do people who bring in breeds that aren't backyard bred commonly and whatnot. Goldendoodles are an absolute nightmare to groom more often than not for instance while on the other hand golden retrievers often times can be good or bad and then pretty much every single standard poodle we've done has been a complete angel. Mostly though, designer breeds cannot ever truly be a real breed as they do not meet the purebred qualifications (has to breed true, has to be bred for a purpose, and at least a couple others I can't remember right now).

All of this however isn't saying I'm against mixed breeds. I love mixed breeds just as much as I love purebreds and my own dog comes from an accidental Border Collie x Australian Shepherd breeding and I love him just as much as I would if he was purebred and registered. I'm just against breeding them for no purpose but dollar signs. I've seen firsthand the scams involved with designer breeds as my old boss dealt in puppy selling and it could sometimes be downright ridiculous (although one grooming customer was insulted and offended by the vulgar sounding "cockapoo" which was hilarious).

And like most people seem to be I'm perfectly fine with breeding mixed breeds for sports. Like Alaskan Huskies (although I've heard they've fallen out of favour and have been replaced by the mixed Eurohounds?) and I have always absolutely adored lurchers. If they're bred for a purpose, not bred to scam people and make a ton of money off of them, and aren't sold indiscriminantly to anyone who walks into the door then I'm all for it actually.

..... A dog's value lies in how it fits in the life it is expected to lead.

I agree with this. Even though poodles are not a designer breed (per this topic, but the topic of poodles came up), I saw one this past weekend which I would definitely own - even considering the trade-offs (grooming and frou-frou look). I was at an agility trial and saw a WHITE miniature poodle, groomed in poodle fashion. BUT that little sucker was a rocket!! - maybe faster than some BCs. You could tell he loved the game.

He was a blast.

Jovi

This past week, I've been going to the big city off leash dog park in an effort to expose puppy Breeze to new situations. This park covers several hundred acres in a greenbelt and is used as a X-country ski park in winter so we can walk for miles.

Breeze is too young to be off leash at all but she is learning how to interact with new dogs. She has met a few dooofus dogs but overall, it has been a good experience for her.

I had no idea that these designer dogs were so popular. We've met oodles of poodleX's and not one has impressed me. BerneseMountainoodles are just weird. Even before reading this thread, I'd noticed people seemed more concerned with what their dog "is' rather than how it behaved.

I found out that there is a kennel nearby specializing in these things. You can buy a Pugoodle, a Beagleoodle or a CavaliarKingCharlesbeagleoodle. I get the impression that this kennel hangs out at the park just to peddle puppies.

The best part of this park is that the border collie folks all hang out together on a hill in an remote part of the park. Everyone tries to wear out their dogs by throwing balls endless up and down this hill. It doesnt work, but it is a good group of folks and they are passionate about their bc's. I guess it looks like we are being snobs, but it is just nice to be away from all those oodles who charge in and steal the balls and take off, and their clueless owners who let them do it.

I found out that there is a kennel nearby specializing in these things. You can buy a Pugoodle, a Beagleoodle or a CavaliarKingCharlesbeagleoodle. I get the impression that this kennel hangs out at the park just to peddle puppies.

We have a commercial kennel by us that sells 20+ different breeds, most are designer mixes. They sell for hundreds (sometimes $1000+) and they buy their breeding dogs from the Ohio dog auction mostly. Obviously no regard for health or temperament. It is your typical mill operation. What I don't understand is how people can see their ads in the paper listing dozens of 'breeds' for sale and not think that the dogs are living in bad conditions. They have a 'lobby' where they bring out the puppies-cute, clean area far from the rest of the operation. But how do people not know where their doodle dogs are coming from? It's like-out of sight out of mind. If people can't understand what a commercial place like this is (I mean, there are anti puppymill commercials now!) then how would they ever understand the larger picture of the issues surrounding the mass breeding of designer dogs? How could they understand that several million dogs are killed in this country because no one came for them at the shelter? I have a problem with breeding dogs for no purpose, that require ads in papers to find homes for, that sit at kennels for far too long (I know pups raised in cages for months until they were sold), etc. If you breed a dog (purebred or mix) you should know where those pups are going, not just hand them to the first person with a credit card.

My uncle-in-law bought a chihuahua-daschund mix from a pet store (they have no clue about puppy mills and pet stores) and they think their dog is a real breed. The dog is nasty to not just other people but also bites them. He is a miserable dog and they think it is all wonderful. The dog was this way from 8wks old, they never thought that maybe a dog bred for health and temperament would probably not be that way...

I guess I just don't get the doodle mix. I client of mine just lost about 6 months ago there 12 year old border collie JAX. He was so awesome his owner was suffering from Lyme Disease (misdiagonised for years.)

He learned how to help with daily chores. I am still amazed at what he could do for her.

To the point in hand, she has seen my BC Keeva and was looking for a new pup. I gave her all kind of rescue sites.

She just told me today that she got a new puppy.

An AussieDoodle. 1/2 Australian Sheperd, 1/2 Poodle.

I worked for a veterinarian while I was in high school and before I decided to continue my education. Between that and volunteering then working for a shelter, I've seen my fill of poodle mixes and the shape they are in when the novelty wears off. Dogs matted to the skin endure their own brand of suffering, complete with underlying hidden conditions. I'd just as soon not see poodles crossed with anything at all.

The best part of this park is that the border collie folks all hang out together on a hill in an remote part of the park. Everyone tries to wear out their dogs by throwing balls endless up and down this hill. It doesnt work, but it is a good group of folks and they are passionate about their bc's.

I look forward to exploring Bruce Pit steering clear of the mixadoodles and finding the BC Hill... should be in a few weeks :)

Well I will definitely see you there. I'm there most days in the early afternoon and in the early am on weekends.

Today I saw a tree carefully wrapped in yellow caution tape. On it was a hand lettered sign saying "Wasps! Geude!" in both official languages. I wouldnt want to get stung for not knowing the right language.

We have a commercial kennel by us that sells 20+ different breeds, most are designer mixes. They sell for hundreds (sometimes $1000+) and they buy their breeding dogs from the Ohio dog auction mostly. Obviously no regard for health or temperament. It is your typical mill operation. What I don't understand is how people can see their ads in the paper listing dozens of 'breeds' for sale and not think that the dogs are living in bad conditions. They have a 'lobby' where they bring out the puppies-cute, clean area far from the rest of the operation. But how do people not know where their doodle dogs are coming from? It's like-out of sight out of mind. If people can't understand what a commercial place like this is (I mean, there are anti puppymill commercials now!) then how would they ever understand the larger picture of the issues surrounding the mass breeding of designer dogs?

So, what is the difference between a "commercial kennel" and a puppy mill? This is not a sarcastic ?, I really don't know what would make one commercial and one a puppy mill. Does it come down to licensing? By who (or is it whom :))? Are they inspected (not that that makes it any better)? Is it actually legal to keep dogs in cages to just be bred? Can anyone ask to walk through?

I do not live in an area where there are "commercial kennels", and, though it sounds like I'm stupid and/or naive, I did not know such existed..."out in public". I have enough of an issue with "small breeders for a living" as is, and their dogs are very, very well cared for. Thanks to whoever can answer this!