BC Boards

The Rise of the Designer Dogs

It has recently come to mind just how common purposely breed designer dogs are in my town. I would say that about 40% of dogs I see around town are designer breeds, most of them poodle crosses (cokapoos, labradoodles, etc.).

People seem prouder to say, "Maddy is a shipoo" or "Joe is a puggle" than simply shih tzu-poodle mix or pug-beagle mix. It certainly sounds more interesting to say the designer breed names, but to me it seems like they are promoting crosses of different breeds to fuel the "designer dog craze".

I understand the concept of hybrid vigor and see how it applies to mixed breed dogs, but is it so much of a benefit that people should intentionally breed yorkipoos?

It also seems to me that the parents of designer dogs are not the best examples of the breed; I do not think that any reputable breeder would sell one of their best dogs/bitches to someone who planned to mate it to a member of a different breed. Does this seem right, or am I mistaken?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I think you are right but since there seems to be such a market for "designer breeds" (which are just planned "mutts") and they can often be sold at inflated prices, you are going to have producers to supply the demand at prices they don't want to refuse.

I doubt any dog getting bred for the purpose of having designer dog puppies comes from a reputable breeder. Also, I see frequently that the parents are designer dogs, therefore they are no longer true crosses of one breed to another.

People often ask if the dog in my avatar is a goldendoodle/labradoodle because of his 'apricot' colored hair and the fact that he doesn't have a show poodle haircut, and seem disappointed when he is just a 'plain' standard poodle. :P

Went to get dog food at the local feed store today. Some lady was in there showing off her mini aussiedoodle pup in hopes that someone would want to buy it, sounded like she had many others. Of course it was little and cute and people were fawning over it. She said she gets between 850 and 1200 for them. Really, this just made me sick. I wanted to tell the people in the store that these are nothing more than high priced mutts, they would have no trouble finding that same "designer dog" at the humane society or in rescue.

Until people stop buying from these designer dog puppy mills, it will never stop. I'm just amazed that with all the information out there people still make uninformed decisions.

Samantha

You know what always amazes me? When clients are shocked that their puppy continues to grow after they buy it. :blink: Not kidding. The "breeders" and pet stores are telling them that they will stay that small, even when they are as young as 3 or 4 months old. One woman proudly told me that her new 16 week old puppy was done growing and would stay small and cute forever. I had to break the news to her that she had been sadly misinformed.

It's crazy. I don't know if people are really that, well, dumb, or what, but I think some of them think a "whateverdoodle" actually IS a breed. :blink: I used to work the front desk at the training club, and when registering people for class, if they said "Puggle", I wrote "pug mix" for the breed. Goldendoodle=golden mix, etc. It made ME feel better at least. :lol:

Then there's the sport market...I just saw my first "Brat" on Facebook this week. A BC/Rat terrier from a litter bred for flyball. Cute as can be, but still.

I will never understand breeding mixes on purpose, or the people who spend lots of money to buy them. But they're not going away anytime soon.

I just met a Boston Terrier x Jack Russell Terrier. It looked like a mini pit bull on steroids. At least she was super sweet.

On a more serious note, I used to run sled dogs and I really enjoyed seeing the working bred crosses. One woman was running (Rhodesian Ridgeback x Saluki) x husky crosses that were kicking butt in the sprint class. Another team was German Shorthair Pointer x husky. My favorites, of course, were the Border Collie x husky crosses. They were not doing these matings to sell designer dogs, but to produce racing sled dogs. (Pups were not offered for sale, they kept the entire litter to evaluate the cross.)

Edited by Liz P

I write "spaniel x" or "poodle x" on my class intakes too, and at the boarding kennel I worked at. I call a Lab x Rottie a Lab x, so why not a Lab x Poodle? Would love to see a BC/Rat terrier though... I looove the look of ratties, lots of them look like my Elsie - we don't get them in NZ :( I seriously love all of the Border collie/terrier mixes that I have met, but I certainly wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for one... Luckily there always seems to be accidental terrier/collie mixes being given away should I ever need another! No one tell the farmers they could be making money off their accidents though please ;)

On a more serious note, I used to run sled dogs and I really enjoyed seeing the working bred crosses. One woman was running (Rhodesian Ridgeback x Saluki) x husky crosses that were kicking butt in the sprint class. Another team was German Shorthair Pointer x husky. My favorites, of course, were the Border Collie x husky crosses. They were not doing these matings to sell designer dogs, but to produce racing sled dogs. (Pups were not offered for sale, they kept the entire litter to evaluate the cross.)

I do think there is a place for cross breeding such as in the example above. In New Zealand pig dogs are a common mix that is bred, my sister owns a dog bred for the purpose of feral pig hunting who is one of the sweetest dogs around. They used to commonly be ridgeback/bully breed/lab mixes (which is what my sister's dog is), but now there are a lot more greyhound/collie/bully breed mixes as the pigs are getting faster. Pig dog puppies are given away or sold (rarely for over $100) with the breeders often keeping 2-3 from the litter.

It's crazy. I don't know if people are really that, well, dumb, or what, but I think some of them think a "whateverdoodle" actually IS a breed. :blink: I used to work the front desk at the training club, and when registering people for class, if they said "Puggle", I wrote "pug mix" for the breed. Goldendoodle=golden mix, etc. It made ME feel better at least. :lol:

I work at a small animal vet clinic and the software we use is pre-programed with the breeds it allows you to select. We had a client come in with her puppy once who was truely upset and hurt that her labradoodle was marked as a poodle mix (the oodle showed through more than the labra), in the description line below we put in labradoodle but she was very shocked that her 'purebred dog' as she said was not recognized by our software. She said, but akc recognizes them and he is registered with that club. He had the ilp registration, or whatever that is called now, makes me wonder if that program is only encouraging these crosses to be bred since now I guess breeders can claim that people can register the puppies?!?

The thing that always shocks me is that every once in a while we have to explain, sometimes in depth to a client that their new 'labra-, -oodle, -ggle) is not a purebred dog. Seriously, clients seem to think that because both parents were purebred dogs that the puppy is a purebred :blink:

Well, it still always amazes me how ignorant some people can be. I have always had pure bred dogs except for when I was a child. But now in my pack I have a rescue that is a bordercollie lab mix and I just prefer to call her my borderlab rather than a mutt, it just sounds better. However, I absolutely do not believe in crossing mixing the breeds.

I have heard from a very reputable source that a BC x poodle mix is now in demand in England for Canine Musical Freestyle. Of course, it would be a good mix, if you wanted to have a mix, for that purpose. They have fantastic coats. I could imagine having one, but only if I found it at the animal shelter or in a rescue.

Honestly, I have known personally, and fostered, so many wonderful mutts from animal shelters, many of whom have prompted the "What kind of dog is that? I want one!" kind of comment. There are so many adorable, cute, handsome, sleek, wooly, huge, tiny, fast-looking, slow-looking or any other kind of -looking dogs in the shelters.

I guess people who pay stupid amounts of money for "designer" dogs have never been to the shelters. Almost every day there are very worthy dogs there. I Always try to talk people who think they want a designer dog into going. Some say they can't stand to see all the dogs there, and then I offer to go find them a dog, to their specifications. I'd be willing to bet that you could find just about anything you wanted at an animal shelter if you just had the patience to keep looking for three to six months.

But people are spoiled and want what they want right now and do not take into consideration the larger picture, and who might suffer as a result. That's why puppy mills stay in business, and many of them sell mixed-breed dogs and call them purebreds. I know a family of otherwise intelligent educated people who paid an outrageous sum for a mixed breed puppy from a "rescue" that had lots of dogs in small cages..........and until I told them otherwise they believed that their dog was a "breed".

I believe that Australian (not American) bred labradoodles are on their way to becoming an AKC registered breed.

What is ILP registration? I looked it up and I am still confused... If a breed cannot be registered yet, how can the individual dogs be registered? :blink:

I have definitely heard people talk about their purebred goldendoodle, yorkiepoo, morkie, etc.

A cute "brat": http://serenitybrat.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=148108409

Seriously would you rather say: I have a "brat" vs I have a "boston terrier-rat terrier mix"?

I'm pretty much in the same category as others here in regards to designer dogs. HOWEVER, to kind of play devils advocate, what's the difference when you're breeding pets if they're purebred or crossbred? Everything else being equal who cares if they're poodles or labradoodles, pugs or puggles? Sure, you can get mutts out of shelters and rescues, but you can also get purebred dogs that way just as easily.

Our shelter is always full of those stupid doodle and other "designer" mixes. I just love it when someone comes in to reclaim a stray and gets upset because we incorrectly identified the "breed" of their Yorkie, Cocker Spaniel, Poodle, Shih Tzu mix.

In my experience, the people who purchase these designer mutts on purpose are idiots. They tend to be the "useless" kind of dog owners who simply want the dog around for decoration. Quite a few fail to comprehend the grooming needs of these animals and they show up in our shelter with coats full of mats. And without fail, they tend to be some of the dumbest dogs I've ever known. Part of that may be due to the fact that they are raised with zero training, of course.

I have yet to meet a labradoodle or goldendoodle that I can stand to be in the same room with. It always amazes me how you can cross two intelligent breeds and end up with something as dumb as a post. Surely it stems from the fact that the dogs used to make this crossbreed come from the bottom of the breeding barrel -- as no reputable breeder would allow their dog to be used to create a designer crossbreed....

I'm pretty much in the same category as others here in regards to designer dogs. HOWEVER, to kind of play devils advocate, what's the difference when you're breeding pets if they're purebred or crossbred? Everything else being equal who cares if they're poodles or labradoodles, pugs or puggles? Sure, you can get mutts out of shelters and rescues, but you can also get purebred dogs that way just as easily.

I personally have no issue whatsoever with careful, well planned crosses done by responsible breeders. What I do have a problem with are all the lies that so many designer dog breeders tell their puppy buyers. These lies include; they are hypoallergenic, they will never shed, they will not suffer from genetic health disorders, they will have the best traits of both breeds, they will only grow to a certain size... I could go on.

I was moving the big flock home and had opened the netting and sent Sweep the Broom. When out of the woods comes a curly haired excited to be free dog! A family of it seemed like 6 people chasing after him. He was friendly and not interested in chasing anything. This they told me was a Golden Doodle.

I thought, Hum? Must be some kind of Asian dog. Like keeps the emperor company.

Golden Doodle.......that is what do you say? Marketing.

It always amazes me how you can cross two intelligent breeds and end up with something as dumb as a post.

In our travels with Aidan to different dog parks in our area, we have seen three Goldendoodles. The first was at a dog park in Santa Barbara. Aidan was in the dog park happily playing with his ball. When a lady came up to the gate with a Goldendoodle and released him into to the park. He promptly ran 25 yards to Aidan and attack him from the rear by biting Aidan on the back. Aidan not to happy turned quickly on the dog and was more than prepared to defend himself. Luckily we were able to quickly separate the dogs and the lady visibly up-set with her dog apologized and left the dog park.

Goldendoodle number two was at our regular dog park. His owners had barely taken his leash off and opened the gate. When without even greeting or looking at any other dogs by the gate, it ran a good fifty yards and attacked a very large and powerful Pit-Bull. Luckily for the Goldendoodle and it owners the Pit's owner were close at hand and saved the dog from it's stupidity.

Goldendoodle number three we saw at another local dog park. It was released by it's owners and just aimlessly trotted around in a haze not reacting to other dogs that wanted to play or greet it or to people at all. It just acted totally lost.

There maybe some good Goldendoodles out there, but we have not met them yet.

For what it is worth an golden doodle could not be register with AKC ILP program since golden doodle is not a register breed. It would either have to be ILP as a golden retrievers or as a poodle. I do believe that person who said they were register probably meant CkC(continental kennel club) since aslong as you pay you can register it.

I personally have no issue whatsoever with careful, well planned crosses done by responsible breeders. What I do have a problem with are all the lies that so many designer dog breeders tell their puppy buyers. These lies include; they are hypoallergenic, they will never shed, they will not suffer from genetic health disorders, they will have the best traits of both breeds, they will only grow to a certain size... I could go on.

I know someone whose husband is severely allergic to dogs. They took a chance on a Goldendoodle because it was that or nothing. And sure enough, the dog does not trigger an allergic reaction and does not appear to shed (yet). So in this case it works. It's a well behaved dog, although being from two reputed "smart" breeds it does seem to be as dumb as a post.

As to genetic health, if a breeder could promise "genetic health", the health issues of purebreds would not be as rampant as they are.

But overall my sentiment is with the group - these are over-priced mixed dogs (ok, mutts) with a very short track record.

Agreed. If theres a real purpose, time and thought were put in and the dogs are advertised without dishonesty, I have no issues. Its the lies and the desire to make a quick buck creating something "exotic" which gets me. But then I don't agree with many breeders of purebred dogs. I am often the odd one out.

In my experience, the people who purchase these designer mutts on purpose are idiots. They tend to be the "useless" kind of dog owners who simply want the dog around for decoration.

While I would prefer that folks looking for "designer" dogs would just go down to their locale shelter and adopt an already made one, I have to disagree with this statement. Like any other generalization, it paints a lot of really great pet owners in a very bad light that they don't deserve. My sister is the owner of two mixed breed "designer" dogs that she purchased as puppies. She is not at all an idiot or a "useless" dog owner that wants the dog around for decoration. She is an excellent pet owner and her dogs are very well cared for, and loved.

I can see the purpose of crossing breeds to achieve some particular goal, as long as it is done responsibly. Though I do believe that people who pay exorbitant amounts of money for those mixes just because they are labeled "designer" are fools. And the folks charging those large fees are shisters.

I have yet to meet a labradoodle or goldendoodle that I can stand to be in the same room with. It always amazes me how you can cross two intelligent breeds and end up with something as dumb as a post.

My experience has been different.

It does make me sad when people won't just embrace their mixed breeds for what they are - mutts - but, instead need to give them a label that somehow makes them sound more like a true breed, even if they don't really know what their mix is. It's like if you give it a fancy name, it's somehow better than a mutt, even if that is exactly what it is. I routinely refer to my mixes as mutts when people ask me about them. You can almost see the horror in their eyes.

I know someone whose husband is severely allergic to dogs. They took a chance on a Goldendoodle because it was that or nothing. And sure enough, the dog does not trigger an allergic reaction and does not appear to shed (yet).

And that is true of some of them, but not all. And, it depends on exactly what a person is reacting to (saliva, dander, the pollen/dust caught in their fur, something else) as well as the exact breeding behind the dog (F1, F2, F1b, etc or from a line of carefully selected doodles).

BTW, it was not a Goldendoodle or nothing. They could have tried a standard poodle or one of the many breeds of dog with hair instead of fur. That's the excellent marketing behind the doodles though. Somehow people believe it is the mix that makes it hypoallergenic, not realizing it the parent breed with hair that is imparting that quality.

Oh, and if you are truly allergic, your best bet is to adopt an adult dog. You can meet the dog and find out pretty quickly if you are allergic or not. With puppies, you will not know if you will react until their full adult coat comes in. Do you really think it wise to buy a pup, bond with it and then find out 6 months later that you can't keep it?

I know someone whose husband is severely allergic to dogs. They took a chance on a Goldendoodle because it was that or nothing.

Well, naming two off the top of my head, schnauzers and poodles are sure bets of dogs that have hair.

I go to a beach that allows dogs, and I live in a pretty rich town, where the designer dog has definitely taken hold as the 'thing to buy', as it would seem everyone has a goldendoodle or a labradoodle. I hear from the owners all the time that they were told the dog wouldn't shed, but their dog does. There is no guarantee a goldendoodle/labradoodle will get the hair of a poodle.

On another note, I think the reason some say they see so many goldendoodles that are dumb/ill mannered is that, as well as the fact they probably aren't using prime examples of either breed, they are marketed as a 'put in your home and go' dog. They say they're great with kids, very intelligent, the best of both breeds, and practically train themselves. This sounds great to a lot of less dog-savvy people, and they end up untrained and under-socialized because of their owners not knowing much about dogs. Just my take on it.

But what inquiring minds really want to know, is why would you mix a perfectly good poodle with a golden/labrador retriever? ;):P