BC Boards

Musical Freestyle

Hi, I have recently started my dog on canine freestlye ( kind of obedience put to music) and have done well untill it came to teaching Jake, my dog, to heel on my right side, and walk backwards still heeling when I back up. I would love any helpful tips you have for me! It would also be nice of any of you to give me suggestion on what the right side heeling's command should be.

Thanks so much, your help will be appreciated and hopefully used!

Leah Rider

I use 'side' for heeling on the right side, and if they're already in the heel position and moving, i use the command 'switch' to go from left heel to the right heel. It was easy enough to teach using a food lure.

For backing up, put Jake in a 'heel' position so that he has a fence on his left side and you on his right. Use a broom or a rake or a stick with something broom or rake like attached to the end move it back and forth in front of you. Take a step backwards while giving the command 'back' and moving the swinging broom/rake towards you. The dog will undoubtedly back up. Start small with only one or two steps and work your way up to 15. Once you are confident in that, don't use the broom/rake, and practice until you can get 15 steps back. Then take one pace away from the fence repeat the process, take two paces away etc. etc. etc. until you can say 'back' and have Jake walk backwards in a heel position.

Voila! it's a lot of hard 'play', but it's all worth it.

Have fun and good luck,

Jaina