BC Boards

How to help a dog that's afraid of the water?

Skye is afraid of water. When we first got him, he was super spooked of water - for example, he didn't want any droplets of water to touch him, was frightened of splashing water, was terrified of the doggie water fountains at the park. Over time, he's settled down - now he'll drink from the doggie water fountains, and the other day I found him standing ankle deep in a puddle.

This weekend we're planning on taking a family trip that includes going to a river to play (shallow, low current). I plan to take his clicker along, and reward him for any steps he takes getting in or near the water.

Any other advice or suggestions?

:DIMHO, it sounds to me like he is making progress - at his own pace. Be patient.

Good idea to take clicker and treats or toys along for when he steps in the water, you can make it highly rewarding. Does he like to tug? You could start tugging near the water's edge and gradually tug with him into shallow water. Let his signals tell you when you have asked too much of him.

If the surrounding atmosphere with the family is going to be boisterous, he may either enjoy it and join in the fun or it may be intimidating. Again, let his signals tell you what to do. If it is intimidating, take him to a part where you are alone with him to work with him on entering the water.

Again, be patient. It is probably not going to happen overnight. But it is a great excuse to keep going back to the river! :D

Jovi

I definitely took a different approach than just clicking/treating for my dogs fear of the water. We hike at the creek all the time and live near a Great Lake so to me it was something I really wanted my dog to like! Here is a photo of the first time he went to the creek.

Can you see the nervousness on his face? The poor guy was so scared. I basically gave him no option but to go in with me (we only went in about 5 inches deep the first few times and gradually went deeper). I had him on a leash and I just started walking in and used an excited voice to make the experience really fun. We did this for several trips, just walking into the waters edge and brought a ball/frisbee after a while and throwing that into the edge as well. It didn't take long before he was running down to the water as soon as we got out of the car (had to actually teach him some self control with that!). I didn't want to take a slow approach of just click/treat for a paw in the water, I wanted him to see that it was fun with me and it didn't take long at all. To be honest (and I know most hate Cesar Millan) but I took a cue from him with how he puts tension on the leash, releases tension when the dog moves just a bit forward, repeat. I have seen him do it on his show to help dogs afraid of slippery floors, doorways, etc. when people took months trying to coax dogs with treats. Honestly, it worked too well since Levi is obsessed with the creek/lake now. :D

post-11838-038767400 1343333954_thumb.jpg

post-11838-010486000 1343334117_thumb.jpg

Skye is around 5-6 years old; he's been in our family for 4 years now. He was so extremely afraid of water when we first got him that I just kind of mentally took all of the water holes off of the list of places to take him. But since he has mellowed out a bit, I thought it was worth another try. It is definitely encouraging to see and hear about your dogs who were afraid of the water, but got over the fear with time and exposure. It would be nice to be able to take him swimming on a hot summer day!

I'll be playing things by ear as I see how he responds, but now I have a variety of ideas of approaches to try. Thanks!

Does Skye like to fetch? My lab and border collie love to swim.

My austrialian sheperd did not. Petsmart has a cheap aquatic, shaped toy, a boomerang. It floats.

When my border collie first was introduced to our pond in the spring (after the ice melted off) she was wary of the water.

When I threw a stick my lab went right after it. Then it became a competition who would get it faster. The lab always won until a couple months ago.

Keeva wins all the time

If there is another dog swimming maybe Skye will wander in.

Good Luck.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! It turns out I didn't need to worry - when we got to the river, Skye waded right in! The river was quite shallow, and he enjoyed wading around. There was a rock in the river that he liked to climb on and jump off. He played a little with a stick and a floating frisbee. He got a little freaked out if he got in deep enough that he couldn't touch - he would leap back towards shore, but then he'd go right back in. We all had a ball!

7685708984_d704ba7d0c_n.jpg

7685709856_e2497f9dcc_n.jpg

7685710700_53545d573d_n.jpg