BC Boards

Swafford Accused of Animal Cruelty Again

Why on earth would they have amended the ruling to allow him to keep one dog?! This is what is so messed up about animal protection laws. There should be much, much stiffer penalties for the first offense, and a non-reversible, non-amendable rule that no one ever convicted of animal cruelty be permitted to have an animal again. He was cruel in his treatment of many dogs; why would anyone think that he would not be equally as cruel to one dog?

:angry: :angry:

I agree that they need to take action against this man. No animal should have to go through what this man, or anyone like this, does to them. Upon rereading the article I saw that he had another 20 dogs on his property. I swear that they should do regular checks on individuals that are on probation, or otherwise banned from having any animals, to keep animals safe and out of their "care".

Thanks for sharing that story; I try to keep tabs on what is happening with Swafford, but I totally missed this latest event.

I couldn't find any follow-up information online about the results of the June hearing, so I emailed the editor who wrote the article and will share any more news I am able to gather about where things stand now.

Pleased to report that Sonya Thompson replied very quickly to my email. She shared that Swafford has exercised his right for the case to go to a grand jury to determine if there is enough evidence to prosecute. She expects to know and report more in mid-August.

Bookmarking the Portland Leader's website now....

As I mentioned above, the case is going to the grand jury; therefore, the reporter does not expect anything to happen until mid-August.

If anyone else is interested in following the Portland newspaper and its coverage, here's its website.

ETA: I just looked at the "most popular" tab on the site and noticed this recent Swafford story is #3.

I'm hoping that lots of local publicity/interest will turn out to be a positive thing in the long run. Some of that popularity (hits) may be from people like those here which means that there may well be widespread interest in this case, which is probably also a very good thing.

Thanks for keeping us posted with that link!

Yes, I, too, hope that ongoing attention to Swafford's history will help make sure this latest case is treated as seriously as it deserves. I was impressed with how quickly the reporter replied to my email and how helpful her response was, so I take that as a good sign.

I also think Sue is right that many of the story's hits are coming from the BC community. In my past experience, folks in Portland have not been particularly informed about Swafford's shenanigans and/or don't seem to realize how horrible his operation was. But perhaps the publicity surrounding this third round of charges in three years will help them see him for what he is.

And maybe just the fact that it's a "hot topic" at the newspaper will garner more attention - I am sure they notice that and it would lead to more coverage, which I think will really help bring this sort of thing to the public eye.

I just searched for "Swa**ord" to see what it would bring up. The search engine doesn't recognize the "**" and brings up everything with "swa" in it, which, as you can imagine, was a lot of threads. And maybe that's the intended purpose ... ?

I have one of Swafford's dogs. She's been with us for just over 2 years. She is the sweetest girl and most time you don't even know she's there she's so quiet and I think she is like this because she was so mistreated. In the past 6 months or so she has started actually asking for attention from people other than myself or DW.

I can't look at a picture of that guy without my blood pressure going through the roof.

How could you be mean to this face:

NewImage.jpg

That guy needs to never be around animals again.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so sickening! I just googled Swa**ord today to see if there was a "new status" on his puppy mill operation, and found this thread. Those poor dogs, how can anyone treat them the way he does, and still be allowed to own an animal after his history!? I too wondered why there wouldn't be "check-ins" at his property to make sure he didn't have any dogs there, just like anyone else on probation...

I hope they put him behind bars for a long time!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I really thought that the lifetime ban really would be a lifetime ban... but I guess he hasn't stopped.

I have one of this guy's dogs and have tried to right all the wrong that man gave him at the beginning of his life. It makes me so angry because I love Lafitte so much! I hate his fear, his hip dysphasia and the fact that he buried half of his food underneath a heavy piece of furniture for the first six months that I had him... I didn't find out until our floors were being redone - it was like a slap in the face and a squeeze on my heart at the same time to see all the food he had hidden.

He is now almost seven years old and has come such a long way from those first days in which we began to leave the past behind. I guess I just wanted to share my experience as of late and show a picture of my boy.

Lafitte is wonderful and it makes me feel good that people are aware, doing something and righting the wrong (sick to see that man's face, though).

This is Lafitte:

image_2013-03-09_21:23.jpg