BC Boards

Cindy gone

CindyfromRiley

An aggressive Carcinoma forced us to lay Cindy down for the last time. She wasn't able to urinate. I was surprised at how fast it took her. The vet, and the labs, diagnosed a bladder infection a month ago, but she showed no sign of recovery while on the antibiotics.

So, my best friend, my frisbee buddy, and a startlingly intelligent dog is gone at age 13. It's going to be hard to deal with for a long time.

In my experience, there is something especially difficult about losing a beloved companion so suddenly. I hope that, as the shock recedes, pleasant memories of Cindy fill that space in your thoughts and in your heart.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I'm sure that she wasn't 100% BC, but the BC showed through load and clear. Anytime I went up a ladder, to work on the roof, trim a tree, whatever, she just had to follow. I was 25ft up an extension ladder to talk to a contractor and heard her on the ladder. Seconds later, there she was, licking me in the face. "I'm here, what do you want me to do?" When I knew she was going deaf, I had her trained to hand signals in a week. I still sneak over the spot that she slept at night if I have to get up, so not to step on her. I lost more than just a dog.

post-10169-091509500 1341681652_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about Cindy. I know what it's like to lose a beloved dog unexpectedly. Run Free Cindy.

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Cindy. When we had to have our Scooter euthanized at the age of six due to a brain tumor, everyone here was so kind and supportive and told me to remember the good times. I tried, but that just seemed to make it worse. After a year and a half, I still miss him terribly, but can now smile when I remember all the things that made him so precious and so uniquely him. Praying for you as you grieve. Peace will eventually come.

Pam

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

~ Author Unknown

Vaya con Dios, Cindy.

• 5 months later...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Cindy. When we had to have our Scooter euthanized at the age of six due to a brain tumor, everyone here was so kind and supportive and told me to remember the good times. I tried, but that just seemed to make it worse. After a year and a half, I still miss him terribly, but can now smile when I remember all the things that made him so precious and so uniquely him. Praying for you as you grieve. Peace will eventually come.

Pam