BC Boards

I haven't posted here in ages, but after 4 years I've come back to the US from Mexico and I'm hoping to get back into stockdog training with Eve!

Eve enjoyed the exhausting trip from Mexico to Eastern Ohio. She travels far better than I do, and enjoys the airport experience far more. I had dozens of photos of us on our trip, but I'm a moron and managed to lose my cell phone in the Phoenix airport.

sR8h6.jpg

And she freaking LOVES Ohio. There's grass. And farm animals. And farm animals eating grass. And beaches, just like home.

s0KNO.jpg

o1Kfo.jpg

8vmRM.jpg

Actual decent pictures, while we were still in Mexico and had access to a real camera:

pZvzO.jpg

5103699056_8a154096d9_b.jpg

5091651372_c7efbc0fe4_b.jpg

4802902651_272e8009e7_z.jpg

Hope to be around here more as we start getting back into stock work!

Grace!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw the screen name! Eve, what a pretty girl you are now! So good to see you two back here!!!

How's my favorite swimming boy, Dakota?! Is he with your parents?

Oh Anda it's great to see you! How are you and Ouzo?

Dakota is terrific, he's EIGHT years old now and has lived with my parents for the past 4 years. He is my dad's constant companion, and he's turned into a TV junkie. Still, as a TV junkie, he's in better shape than I could ever hope to be. My mom's little BC, Dash, is doing well too.

Oh Anda it's great to see you! How are you and Ouzo?

Dakota is terrific, he's EIGHT years old now and has lived with my parents for the past 4 years. He is my dad's constant companion, and he's turned into a TV junkie. Still, as a TV junkie, he's in better shape than I could ever hope to be. My mom's little BC, Dash, is doing well too.

Sounds like he's living the good life with your parents :)

Ouzo's good, he's 6.5 years and still full of energy and spunk and yes, still plenty of mischief. Check my Flickr page (link in signature) for plenty of pictures of the rascal.

I'm rarely posing on the boards these days, but I do periodically check in, hoping for pleasant surprises like this one today of finding you and Eve back.

Missed those sharp pointy Eve ears :)

Great photos - one should be labelled, "She sells sea shells, down by the sea shore"!

Nice to "see" you again! Did you move to Mexico for work? Was the local culture fairly dog friendly?

I moved to Mexico with my family, and wound up finding work as a pet dog trainer. I originally didn't move there for work, and I stayed a lot longer than I expected to.

The culture was more relaxed about dogs, but not dog friendly. Most of the locals were just confused as to why I went everywhere with my dog, and my Spanish was not good enough for me to explain properly what service dog is. They don't have the access laws for service dogs like there are in the US, Canada and Europe.

There is no public awareness regarding animals, animal welfare is nearly nonexistant. There are very few animal shelters in Mexico, and virtually none of them are government funded, so all unwanted dogs are just left on the streets, and all rescue is done by citizens and visitors. I did a lot of rescue projects while I was there, and raised a lot of puppies that were collected from their feral mothers at an early age. Often times it was challenging to trap and spay a feral bitch that was roaming the deserts, but much easier to collect her pups and ensure that they were raised to be tame, sane and spayed/neutered.

Just out of curiosity, if there wasn't much of a dog culture, how did you work as a dog trainer?

Was there a large population of people from other countries living in your area?

Who was adopting the pups you tamed? Did you have a relationship with rescues in the USA to place them here like they do with the dogs from Puerto Rico?

Just out of curiosity, if there wasn't much of a dog culture, how did you work as a dog trainer?

Was there a large population of people from other countries living in your area?

Who was adopting the pups you tamed? Did you have a relationship with rescues in the USA to place them here like they do with the dogs from Puerto Rico?

There was a decent population in the winter months of people from the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia who had a need for a dog trainer. I did dog grooming and sitting on the side as well, but I was always barely scraping by for lack of work, especially in the summer when all of my clients fled the heat.

For a while I worked with a group of people who started a dog refuge, and they would sometimes take puppies to Arizona where rescuers would continue to transport them north for adoption. When the refuge failed due to lack of funding and volunteers, I took it down a notch and would take in individual dogs/puppies in need of help and place them privately through people I knew.

Interesting. I always love to hear about people's experiences in other countries. Welcome back to the USA though. ;)

Welcome back! Great pictures of a very happy pup :)

Oh my goodness! Welcome back, Grace and Eve. I hope to see and hear more from you now. And BTW, Eve is an aunt.

Meet May's daughter, Jade (here eight months old- now nearly 14 months):

141189197.jpg