BC Boards

Why do "ABC" owners say this?

Yes, and I'm happy to see it. However, at least where I trial, the AKC people are being dragged kicking and screaming. My last AKC trial in May, we had one back side of a jump in the three day trial and some people thought it was the end of the Agility World As They Know It. :rolleyes: And depending on how you ran it, it wasn't even a true back side, IMO.

I got a little ticked off when I started seeing back sides of jumps in courses that were supposed to be beginner level training, but I appreciate it now. I'll admit I kicked a little, but because Tessa has been doing them from the beginning, they are normal for her, and we even did one in trial (in CPE Colors), successfully.

Dean never saw them until about that same time, and he absolutely hates them. He always wants to send out around the entire jump, instead of turning to take the back side. I'm going to have to break it down with him so he can understand what the heck I'm asking him to do.

I can see why people who have been trialing a while, without seeing back sides of jumps, would resist.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and I'm happy to see it. However, at least where I trial, the AKC people are being dragged kicking and screaming. My last AKC trial in May, we had one back side of a jump in the three day trial and some people thought it was the end of the Agility World As They Know It. :rolleyes:

You haven't seen ANYTHING. Go to a NADAC trial where there is a wrap at a hoop. A freaking WRAP. You would not *believe* the comments and grumbling made during the course walk. Comments like, "This is NADAC, we don't have wraps in NADAC" and other stupid stuff like that. I even heard comments like, "I've never trained for a wrap!" I wanted to smack those people.

NADAC courses are boring as hell. Personally I was happy to see something new. God forbid....

Never trained for a wrap?! What the heck? :blink:

Kristine, that AKC back side was in Excellent. I have a friend in Novice and they didn't have it, not in Open, either. It's just the mindset, like Karissa mentions...heaven forbid they try anything new. At least without grumbling! We train for them where I take lessons, but the old school peeps weren't happy.

I can definitely see why ABC classes exist (and I always through they were "anything but collie" classes meaning any sort of collie not just Borders?). In an agility system where you need WINS to graduate through levels, if you have a dog in the same height class as Border Collies (or heading dogs in NZ), there are ALWAYS going to be dogs that are faster than yours. Plain and simple. To get through the lower levels of agility in NZ you only need Q's, but if you want to get into the top classes (where you can earn championship titles) you have to win classes, hence why the upper levels are dominated by Border Collies and Heading dogs. Over here if you have an oddball breed, the chances of you being able to earn an agility championship is pretty slim - you need multiple wins in the top level against at least 15 dogs - that generally means you need to beat at least 15 of the top Border Collies. I think our system is fair, as not just *any* dog should be able to earn a championship, but I can see where ABC handlers are coming from... Knowing that you can't even make it into the top level of the sport if you are a competitive person can't be that fun (and that's why they go out and buy Border Collies!).

We have recently split height classes in New Zealand, up until a few years ago all dogs regardless of height were competing equally against each other... At least now little dogs have a chance to graduate up through the levels in the sport without having to face Border Collies (until they get to the top class).

I can definitely see why ABC classes exist (and I always through they were "anything but collie" classes meaning any sort of collie not just Borders?). In an agility system where you need WINS to graduate through levels, if you have a dog in the same height class as Border Collies (or heading dogs in NZ), there are ALWAYS going to be dogs that are faster than yours.

It does make more sense in places where you need wins to progress, although I would say that if that is the case, maybe all of of the dogs should be broken up into "classes", such as they do for Conformation (not the same ones), to put all of the dogs of similar build and running style together. Mixes could be tested to fit them into the most appropriate class.

Also, "Anything but a Collie" that includes Shelties, Aussies, and other similar herding breeds (along with similar mixes, I gather) also makes a lot more sense to me than singling out the Border Collies.

But in this country, progress does not depend upon "beating" anyone, and under those circumstances, I consider separating out the Border Collies - and only the Border Collies - to be flat out stereotyping and discrimination (I know that's strong language - but that my point of view and a Border Collie handler who does not fit the stereotype of having a Border Collie to be competitive). Separate out the Shelties and the Aussies, and whatever dogs tend to run fastest in the shortest heights, and I would object far less.

Also, "Anything but a Collie" that includes Shelties, Aussies, and other similar herding breeds (along with similar mixes, I gather) also makes a lot more sense to me than singling out the Border Collies.

There are already people here in the UK who think we should have ABK classes - Anything But a Kelpie.

But if the kelpies were taken out too there would just be another breed that is generally more competitive than the rest against the BCs. It used to be BSDs before kelpies became popular.

But a lot of people who have rushed to get a kelpie because there are some very good ones at the top have come unstuck, just like some people who have got a BC because they think it is an easy passport to success.

I can't think of any other herding breed that causes any complaints because they challenge the good BCs and kelpies.

As pieces of European courses start to matriculate into the agility scene here in the states, we will see far more purpose in all of the "fancy handling moves" that Europeans have been using for years.

Maybe, maybe not.

There's quite a lot of fancy European stuff in handling that doesn't seem to create much, if any advantage over a more straightforward approach.

I can compare top handlers here that have adopted a more European style of handling with others who prefer the KISS approach and neither seems to have a particular advantage over the other.

Yet another example of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Some of our members went on a Ketschker and similar move based training day earlier this year. We all spent weeks practising them but has anyone actually used them in competition? No (well maybe the odd occasion)- not even the ones who were so enthusiastic about them originally.

It boils down to what the individual handler and dog are comfortable with. Be prepared to learn new things but don't feel obliged to use them if you don't see the point or it doesn't suit you or your dog.