BC Boards

New Shears

Our old Sunbeam Shearmasters finally died. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy? I was looking at maybe the Clipmaster variable speed as it looks like the blades and be switched out and it can be used on horses too?!? Which would be nice so that if my horse clippers died I would still have something. But then the shearmaster sounds good too. Something lighter would be nice, as our old one was heavy and my arm would be numb for days if we sheared too many sheep in a row.

Thanks!

I have a premier 3000 which I don't think they make anymore. The new 4000 series they make is lighter than what I have and the blades are easier to set up. Mine have held up very well, but after each use I make sure and clean them up and keep them in the case it came in.

Samantha

I've used the Shearmasters and they're heavy and get hot very quickly. I helped Robin shear a few sheep last month, and I think she was using the Premiers, and they were much lighter and did not seem to get hot the way the Shearmasters do. It also seemed as if she was able to adjust comb and cutter and tension pretty easily, which was something I found a little bit tricky with the Shearmasters. I'll alert her to this thread so she can give you her impression of hers.

FWIW,I've heard that most of the variable speed clippers don't really have the power necessary to shear sheep. It's been a while, though, and maybe the technology has improved.

J.

Premier 4000 are great if you don't want to set up overhead machine. But by far my favorite is the simple razor sharp blades shears, burgon and ball. You get very good at it. Its quiet and simple. Need no electricity. Takes me between 5 and 7 minutes to do one sheep. Handspinners love blade shearing because it reduces seconds cuts to about none.