BC Boards

serious agility questions

I went to class tonight, Dakota did the jumps fine when I was in front of him, but when I started running beside him, he wanted to jump up on me instead, he did do the jumps but he was constantly jumping up on me and was not jumping in the middle of the jump. Will this be something he outgrows??? he is 6 months old now, or is there a certain thing I can when training to keep him from jumping on me, my trainer says next week she will bring a target for the other side of the jumps, hopefully this will help.

The other thing is he gets so darn excited when do any of the equipment, he does well on all of them, except the jumps (this was our first jumping besides the tire jump), is it normal for them to get so hyper when doing agility??

Sorry Zebbie, but I feel Dakota is still too young for the equipment. Because of the contact points you have to control his descent and that can put a lot of stress on 6 month old limbs. My Isa is 8 months and all she has done is the tunnels and a few hurdles set at just 6 inches. I know he has a lot of zip and energy now but you have to think to his future health and well being.

At our club we use a warm up exercise to try and stop the jumping up, and that is simply running with the dog on the leash and stopping the moment the dog jumps.

Regards, Val and the girls

he only does class once a week, so I think he will be fine.

he has only done the tire thing which is low, the low jumps (in fact she left them on the groun) the tunnel, and shoot with no shoot and the table, only an intro to the table no down on it. so I think he will be just fine smile.gif nice of you to worry, but really he does more than that by himself on our walks!

One thing I've done is to toss a ball directly in front of the dog after it clears an obstacle. They'll start to anticipate the ball being thrown in front of them. This focuses the dog on going all the way through the obstacle and beyond in a straight ahead fashion. I've seen people use balls like that to motivate dogs to move faster on the course too. Not that anyone could EVER possibly have that problem with a Border Collie wink.gif

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

I think your trainer is right when she says that she will bring a target for the other side of the jumps. You need to practice getting your dog to run on towards the target. We start our young pups teaching them to run onto a toy giving a command which means 'go on'.

When the agility training starts we put up a line of jump wings without poles and get the dog to run down through the wings towards the toy in the same way. Once the dog is running towards the toy confidently you can start to jog alongside the dog. If he's sure about what he is doing he should continue to run towards the toy. Gradually the distance can be increased and poles on the ground introduced. Be sure to jog down both sides of the jump alternately so that he becomes accustomed to the handler being on either side.

If you have the sort of dog that has a tendency to look back at you, then personally I wouldn't keep the toy in my pocket to throw at the last minute or else the dog could keep looking back to see when the toy is going to appear.

Karen Smith and the TouchAnGo Border Collies

UK

thanks for the support! I guess I will bring a toy with me next time. Should I do the warm up that tess suggests at home? Have him run beside me and when he jumps on me, stop running?

Like I said before, when I am in front of the jumps he does it perfectly, but as soon as I run next to him, he jumps on me and then he is not in the center of the jumps, should I continue to stand in front until he is comfortable? I guess I need to wait and see what my trainer will do this week.

he does not try to jump on me when we do the tire or tunnels, just the jumps.

Zebbie

I appreciate you want to do well and train well, but please could I ask that you don't ask another member to okay or dismiss advice given by somebody else. I have given advice, with the best of intention, on what worked for me and always do, it's up to you whether or not you try it. I don't want to get to a point where any advice given has to be approved by another member.

[This message has been edited by Dynamite Tess Again (edited 06-26-2000).]

Zebbie

I did not intend for you to feel bad. It's just that when someone gives advice it does get to you a bit when you see the member who posted the question ask another if she should take it. Maybe you didn't mean it that way and I have read your post wrongly. If I have, then I apologise. It is not my intention to make you feel bad. I have met Karen briefly, am totally in love with one of her excellent BCs and have every respect for the posts she has left here in the past. In fact it is the owner of this BC who is my pre agility trainer.