BC Boards

teaching my BC to do tricks?

My BC seemed to be the smartest dog in the world when we first started training him. He caught on to everthing so quickly. But there have been two things that are not nessesary for him to know but would be neat tricks for him to learn. Speak and roll over are the two things I'm talking about. I have no idea how to even go about trying to teach him to do these things. If anyone can give me some tips that would be great. Thanx

------------------

Jessica

Cinti,OH

for rolling over, start with him in the down position, try to encourage him to roll over by following the food, or gently try to roll him over if he doesnt follow the food.

For speak, I say speak and then I bark, to show him what I want, then evetually he will bark when you say speak.

Guest Dawn_Ontario

Hi Jessica,

I taught Dallas to roll over just as Zebbie stated. I taught Katie to speak, sing and talk by just treats and praise as incentives.

Dawn

If your dog rolls over sometime to have you rub his belly or just in a submissive manner to greet you you could try saying a word when he does this to have him associate that with the rolling over action. They learn so much better when they think it was their idea to do what they did. Somehow I trained my dog to roll onto his back when I pat my chest. I think it started when he was a puppy and I would pat my chest to get him to come to me for affection. He associated that act with him flopping on his back for a belly rub. Now when I do it he just rolls right on his back. He still gets the belly rub too. It's hard work being a clown wink.gif

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

my dog Licky has this thing that she likes to do. We have a beagle also and everyone knows how they howl. My B/C enjoys immitating and making fun of the beagle by trying to do a crappy impression of it. I used this, whenever she would do this I would give her a treat and lots of pets. She ended up doing this as a greeting to me so I taught her to do it along with her bye bye wave now my dog stands there and is howling like a beagle and waving. it's hysterical!