BC Boards

Catalog Recommendations

OurBoys

(If I put this in the wrong location, please feel free to move it.)

For some reason DH gets a catalog at work called FarmTek. Since I’m into gardening and because we are going to be getting some chickens (1st and eventually), he brings it home. To me, the prices in the catalog are high in regards to the gardening items. Because I don’t have any chickens or chicken experience yet, I don’t know if their prices are reasonable or not. Does anyone have any recommendations on catalogs I can subscribe to so I/we can compare prices? For now, I’m looking for greenhouse material and items for building or ready-made chicken tractors and/or everything we need-feeders, waterers, building plans, etc. (We haven’t touched the “lower 40” yet. In order to do so, we need an auger bit and a 3 point arm hook up thingy to fence it in. If anyone knows of a good used one in NC, SC or VA please let me know. DH is still in the “screw the neighbors and the subdivision ordinances” mindset.)

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about farm catalogs someone else will have to help you there, but for farm supplies in SC and GA try the market bulletin. Both can be found on line and have used equipment for sale. Georgia; http://agr.georgia.gov/market-bulletin.aspx SC; http://agr.georgia.gov/market-bulletin.aspx this link has where you can subscribe to current, or check out old issues. I have no idea if NC or VA have something similar, but would think so. Someone who lives in those states should be able to help.

Thanks, Cindy. I'll try to find something like that in NC. While DH & I were looking for our tractor, he found an online site for people who were selling their tractor and/or implements. I can't for the life of me find that site now.

Olivehill, thank you for the Growers Solution link! Their prices on nursery pots are better than what I paid for them. I love the fact they sale shade covers too. Our local feed store has a chicken tractor and it's cute but I can't see spending $700 for it. It's also on the small side. I know they are made to move around but it looks like it couldn't hold more than 2 chickens. I guess I need to figure out my own design; mobile and strong but lightweight. I hope that's possible.

Hmmm, a post driver for a tractor. I didn't realize they made those. When I read your post, I wondered if something like that would break a wooden post but we're watching the Science channel and they were talking about how they are making new houses safer by driving large wooden piles down into the ground and attaching the houses to those so they won't detach and start floating and crashing into other objects. (Plus they are raising them as well.) Watching that pile driver work was interesting. I'll have to check into post drivers.