BC Boards

Chasing Other Animals

I've had my dog trained around feral cats (to be a distraction I hoped she'd forget), have 2 cats of my own & my dog understands that she cannot chase other animals while on leash. She doesn't even try. But does anyone have a success story for getting them to stop chasing while not leashed? And to remember their training?

My Gabbie has never shown any aggression towards my cats, but went after a neighbor cat & would not stop until she lost it. It was like she was in a trance. She would not come back, until finally losing the cat. Then immediately knew she was in trouble for chasing, not to mention leaving the property.

Is there a solution? Obviously, I'll never let her out unleashed again, but was wondering if I missed something in the training.

Juli

Juli, Siena has learned to chase things and that includes coming off the thing and returning to home base. It took awhile, but we have a command and a hand signal (when she's looking) for give up and come back. By teaching her to chase things, it's easier to get her back when she chases on her own volition.

We've taken some lessons from the working dogs on the boards too. A whistle gets her attention better than me yelling my head off when she's a few blocks away. Then she is startled, looks and me and sees the return signal...and usually comes back...unless that rabbit is just too tempting!

Have you really worked on a reliable recall? You didnt tell us what you did for a recall? We have worked on recall alot with Dakota, and he is pretty good now. He knows when I really need him to come back. If you need help let me know and I will tell you some thing that work great! You have to drill it in their heads what you want, and if it is always plesant, they will learn.

Thanks for the great advice.

I've always used a verbal recall "COME" along with calling her name to get her attention.

Since I've been working off leash - I've been using hand recalls - a pat on my leg after saying her name & she comes running.

But when she took off - I couldn't even get her attention. A whistle sounds like a great idea. Maybe it will get her attention & I can call her back without yelling.

Zebbie, you mentioned you had some recalls - any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Juli

I dont know if these will work for you, but it helped me with my pup alot! In the house, my husband and I each had some very tasty treats, we would take turns hiding and then calling his name, and of course when he found us, we praised him lavishly and he got the tasty treat, this is before we even used the "come" command, it is really alot of fun and they learn to associate their name with something fun!

Once he came pretty well with just his name we moved outside. He had started running off, when he was offlead, so I started with a long lead and some liver (his very favorite food) and I would say come when he was on the lead, I called him every so often on our walks. When he came back each time, I would let him off lead, and then call him give him liver and praise, and let him run ahead again, but I would always put his leash back on if I saw another dog or something coming. The idea is NOT to call them to you when you know they wont come back. So then we praticed off lead on rainy days when not many people were out, I would hide on him if he got too far ahead and then called him back, when he turned to look, I was NOT there and he came back immediately! and he got liver and praise when he returned.

At the beach it is too difficult to hide on him, so I would make sure he knew I had liver (he only gets this for recall and a big old hunk) then I let him go, he would run ahead and I would call him to me, he would race back and I would run away from him, laughing and he thought this was great fun! as soon as he 'caught me' he got lots of hugs and his treat. Then I started calling him less often and only called when I thought he was too far ahead of me. I would also use a very loud whistle and he comes bolting to me when I whistle. He was bad one day and ran off with another dog, I whistled and he came racing back at full speed, the other dog ran after him! I had to take my puppy near the other dogs owner to get her dog back! So you can get a recall, it takes work and persistance and make it fun. Having them chase you is great, at least my dog thinks so. Hope this healped somewhat, I know all dogs are different, but Dakota has a decent recall already at 6 months old.