BC Boards

Celt has reinjured his CCL

Sue R

The only reason I am at all prepared is because of kind and caring people like yourself (and my friend, Cindy) and others who have taken the time to help me prepare. Otherwise, I'd be going into this with no idea of what was ahead for both of us.

I know the surgeon will discuss things when we have the consult, and I will get information when I pick Celt up, and be told he needs therapy - but it's the experience and advice of people who have been through this themselves that have already provided me with a lot of information that I wouldn't likely have otherwise.

Yes, I can research on the internet (and I've gotten a lot of good info about the surgery itself that way) but I think nothing beats hands-on experience from people like you. Moreso than the internet, there is that element of "been there, done that, would have done this the same or differently" from a personal perspective.

Again (and again), thanks!

It's my pleasure. I know how hard it is and you're right, the internet and the dr. can only provide so much information. I had a lot of kind folks on orthodogs guiding us. I don't know how I would have gotten through it without them. I'm glad you have Cindy and I'm glad I can be of some help. You'll both come out of this with flying colors. I can't wait to see the first video of him off leash. :)

We're heading into the countdown - three days until the consult, four days until the surgery (whichever the vet determines), and five days until I bring him home again - and that's when the hard work of rest and rehab begin!

Thanks for all the well-wishes - Celt (even though he is unaware) and I appreciate it very much!

Sue, I've been pretty hit-and-miss so far as responding here to the boards, but I wanted to say that you and Celt are in my thoughts. Having gone through so much anguish over my Nick's back this winter, I can well imagine what you're going through, and all the work and preparation it has entailed. I wish you and the boy all the best, and look forward to good reports of his recovery, however long it will take. :)

Also, for non-skid stuff under his blankets in the x-pen, you might either look for those non-skid rubber rug pads, or see if you can find a couple of those sample-rug things that have stiff backing.

Sending lots of healing vibes to Celt! It's going to be a long week for you and him, both. *hugs!*

~ Gloria

Thanks for those thoughts, Gloria!

Non-skid. Whoa, I'd thought about that for the tiny bit of linoleum he crosses between his crate and the great out-of-doors (to potty) but didn't think of it for inside the x-pen or crate. He just has a big, thick sheepskin with a vellux blanket on it now.

More to think about and prepare!

PS - When Nick was having his back issues, it was easy to think about him and worry a bit long-distance, and feel for you, and think/say, "All will be well." It's a whole different feeling when it's *my* dog and *his* problem. I so appreciate all the well-wishes and support from everyone!

Also be prepared to cut back on the food intake because of there will be such a lack of exercise they can gain weight. Plan to cut back the amount.

Things will be fine. Foster was walking on the surgical legs the day after surgery.

Also icing the area is a good thing. You may want to make sure to have some ice packs available.

Oh, Kim, the poor boy's been thinking I'm trying to starve him for weeks. He's a pretty easy keeper and so he's been getting about half of his normal ration as it is.

I have heard that it's many folks' experience that they start using that leg right away. Part of my concern is just making sure he doesn't try to overdo, whether it's just a quick potty trip outside or a walk from the crate to the bedroom. Like so many Border Collies, he doesn't tend to do much at low speed.

I do have ice packs, the kind that come packaged with vaccines. And some frozen veggies, that just may be relabelled as dog packs!

Thanks again for your support! We have been very blessed by advice and support from a number of people, and the amount of positive encouragement is so helpful.

Tomorrow, bright and early (or at least early) we head up to Pittsburgh. I think tomorrow afternoon and evening will be the hardest - that time of anticipating and waiting and worrying. The surgery is the first on the doctor's docket for Tuesday and I'll be at work, so I think that day will actually be a little easier.

I'll pick him up on Wednesday, in the early afternoon (a nice long time under obsrvation at the animal hospital) and stay home with him on Thursday. I'm on schedule to work on Friday but, if he needs me at home, I'll have to call in. And then I have the next two days with him, so hopefully that will all get us over those first few days.

Sorry if I repeat myself but I do that even when I'm not so anxious!

Thank you, all, for your support!

We are heading off to the ortho vet's in just a couple of hours. The next few days (today's consult, tomorrow's surgery, picking him up on Wednesday) will be difficult, and I'm sure that the first few days or so back home will be very stressful, but he'll be on the road to recovery in no time.

I've been subscribed to Orthodogs (yahoo group) and not sure that's been a good idea. Like other groups, it is full of contradictory advice and protocols, and perhaps it would have been better for *me* to have not gotten to reading of people's experiences there.

I appreciate the support we have received here and elsewhere. Fortunately, I'm the one doing the worrying, not Celt, who is quite oblivious of my concerns and only wondering why he has to spend his time confined and not having fun. Meanwhile, he's learned the value of a good bone - not that he hasn't been an enjoyer of bones in the past but that they have taken on much more significance since his life has been so circumspect lately. Maybe my casual bone-chewer will remain a bone enthusiast when this is all over.

Thanks again!

Maybe orthodogs isn't for you but it sure helped us a lot. I found it helpful for asking questions and to see if things that were happening were normal and just generally knowing there were others going through the same thing. I liked that there were other dogs that had surgery at the same time as Tiga and we could talk together through the recovery. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but take your surgeon's advice first and foremost. There are a few veterans on there that have been through it more then once. Most of the people on there tend to be more on the conservative side of recovery, slower is better. But take it for what it's worth and trust your own instincts. You know your dog best. Good luck to you and Celt. You know where to find us if you need us.

I will be starting a new topic on this, "Celt's TPLO Journal" but I'm not quite prepared yet.

I think I was just being overwhelmed at Orthodogs. Now that I've successfully switched to the daily digest, it's a lot easier for me to peruse and I'm finding that it is full of good information.

Like any other forum where you have people with lots of different dogs who have had different (or the same) procedures with different sorts of advice from the vets, etc., it can be extremely hard to pick out the positive and what you need to know, from the worrisome negatives and contradictions. But, I have to admit, that I'm getting the hang of reading it to find out what I need to find out, and sift through the volumes of things that are just not what I need right now.

So, again, thanks for recommending it - I was feeling overwhelmed. Now that I've been to the vet with Celt, he's there overnight prior to surgery, I have a fact sheet for after care from the vet, I'm expecting a phone call from the rehab therapist, and I'm back home with a diagnosis, the commitment to the TPLO surgery, and full faith in the professionals doing the work, I am not quite so anxious.

Things happen, and I know that, but I feel I have made really good, informed choices about this and that it will make a world of good in helping Celt regain full function and minimal discomfort/aftereffects (like arthritis).

Okay, Sue, breathe....

I actually turned all emails off and just went to the link to read stuff. I found the amount of emails was very overwhelming. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and just know that he will get his life back. Sounds like you've done lots of research and made the right choice for Celt. Lots of deep breaths. Try to relax tonight, take a bath, have a glass of wine, or whatever you need to do to decompress.